My puppy is acting very strange

Ruth Lidstone

Axel Rose, Catahoula pup
I had a very weird thing happed today. I was working at the computer when I heard my 16 wk old catahoula whelp. Thinking that the cat had smacked him I looked out the window and saw him running crazily around my carport. When I ran outside to see what was up he wouldnt come to me, it almost seemed like he couldnt hear me and he was drooling big time. He took off across the pasture so I grabbed the leash and took out after him. When I caught up he still wouldnt come to me and his hair on his back was sticking up like he walked into the electric fence. (I dont think he did as when he did happen to walk into the fence he wouldnt stop yelping for quite a while)I finally caught him and made him walk all over the yard. He whinned the whole time and really seemed out of sorts.
I had noticed earlier when he was in the house that he kept scratching at his right ear, which made me think he might have a bug or earwig in there. I decided to try and pour some hydrogene peroxide in there to see if that would dislodge anything. I didnt observe anything float out.
He is now resting quietly. Any suggestions?
When he was drooling all I could think of was rabies but he had no problem eating or drinking. What is the signs of parvo, he hasnt started his puppy shots yet, (just the ones the breeder gave him) Thanks for any insight. Ruth L

It really does sound like he got into the hot fence. I've become a bit of an expert on those reactions, including my own, lol! The first time they get into it they do tend to yelp and yowl continuously for an eternity (except Kharma - she turned around and bit the fence - twice :eek: I knew I had a real beastie, lol!), but after that first time they usually just yelp once or twice.

He was probably drooling due to stress and all that running! And the shock could have given him a buzz in his ear.

The other possibility is a sting or bite of some sort. They don't always swell up. It scares the bejeebers out of a pup because they can't see what attacked them.

bubbatd

I had a pup pick up a toad once , yelp and froth terribly ! I hope he's fine by now .

BagelDog

Not crazy...
If he had parvo, he would be vomiting and/or having bloody dierah (cant spell), and generally and upset stomach as it attacks the stomach lining. It really sounds like rabies, but thats unlikly. But in rabies that dog wont recognize you, and will be afraid of everything, then go into maddness, and then become paralyzed, and thirsty, but he wont be albe to drink. anyways. It also sound possibly like he ingested somthing posionous. Take him to the vet ASAP though, because it could be distemper or lepto, though I dont know the signs of those.

It sounds to me like he got a taste of a toad! I had a cocker once that messed with a toad and it seemed like he went completely blind for about an hour or so after. He was totally disoriented, much like you described. It would also account for the drooling. Is he ok now? That's all that really matters! :D

Pam

Ruth Lidstone

Axel Rose, Catahoula pup
Thank You for responding to my plea. Unfortunatly we ended up putting Axel out of his misery. He started having grand mal seizures and to me, suffered unmercifly. The vet said that it was probably canine epilepsy and that there were not any real test to find it just ones that they could use to illiminate what it wasent. Of course the breeded says " there's nothing wrong with my dogs". I wont recommend any one purchasing an animal from Camino Island Catahoula's as she will not replace or refund if your pup is defective. rl

That's terrible! We've had a couple of members who have dealt with canine epilepsy. One lost the fight for the life of her Husky pup. It was devastating to all of us, as we had come to know him and love him throughout his battle.

At least you know about that particular breeder. Never, ever deal with a breeder who does not contractually obligate himself or herself to a health guarantee. I hope you'll check out the responsible breeder thread that's posted as a sticky. It will help you in the future. There are so many so-called breeders out there who are using and abusing dogs to rip-off unsuspecting people who just want a dog to love.

Members online