"No-poo"/Sulfate free shampoo people.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
How do you go about getting started?
My hair lately has been bugging me.
It looks bad the day of/after I wash it (because my curls need the oil in my hair to not be all frizzy) but gets way too oily within a few days of NOT being washed
So the amount of time my hair is at it's peak of "pretty" is shorter and shorter. I've heard that getting started on more natural stuff for my hair would help with this.

Ideas?

Right now the "more natural" shampoos in my arsenal (right now I use Aussie) are..
- Nature's gate herbal shampoo
- Aubrey Primrose & Lavender
I also have some Lush dry shampoo powder stuff.

First off.. do you think the nopoo stuff would help my predicament/keep my hair in the "Oily but not TOO oily" phase longer?

And if so.. How often do you shampoo? What do you use? how long before my hair isn't an oily mess and gets used to more natural stuff?

Thank you

tzigane

I use Everyday Shea (http://www.everydayshea.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2&idcategory=2). I've been using it for about... a year and a half now. I don't have to use conditioner anymore. I have long wavy hair that generally doesn't have *too* many problems with frizz, or at least as of using this shampoo.

For the first year that I used it, I had to wash my hair less - went from every day to about every other day. The past 6 months or so, though, it's gotten systematically more oily (which was when I stopped using the conditioner - hey, saves me money!). Now I have to wash it every day.

I've thought about trying no-poo (the baking soda method), but I'm so nervous! It's weird, but when my hair is oily I feel gross all over, even if I'm very clean. Plus, I'm prone to dandruff (I try to do a ACV-tea tree oil rinse every week, but it... often doesn't happen, oops), so I don't want that to flare up with the baking soda, even during the transition.

EDIT: With Everyday Shea it only took a few days to a week for it to get used to it. And the transition really wasn't that bad at all. It really just extra extra bright blonde for a while, and a little bit limp (but with that limpness came extra soft hair, which was great since my boyfriend at the time was more likely to touch it and give me head rubs).

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I use SLS free shampoos. In general, I wash my hair every other day to every 3 days. I find that rotating shampoos really makes my hair the happiest, so I have three in rotation currently: Jason Tea Tree, Yes To Carrots, and Everyone Soap Coconut and Lemon.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I just bought SLS free shampoo one day and started using it. Never looked back. It does amazing things to my hair, including during the time period I was dying every couple of months, frying with a flat iron, blah blah blah.

This is my fave:
http://www.tigihaircare.com/consumer/en-US/rockaholic/default.asp

Right now I'm using this because it was the only SLS-free they had at TJ Maxx when I was looking for more. (I spent $100 stocking up on salon-size Rockaholic when they had it one time and clearly I should have bought more because they haven't gotten any more in since. Wah!)
http://www.tigihaircare.com/consume...products.asp?product=SLIHShampoo&categoryID=1

I did true DIY no poo several times and never could get it to work long term BUT I have been using good natural sulfate free for a long time and it's great. I wash about every 4 or 5 days and use dry shampoo as needed in between.

Some of my favorites are mop top and deva curl but during the summer I need a bit more cleansing to I switch from the no poo to their low poo. There are many others I use as well, really get whatever I can when I need it:)

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I just don't use any shampoo. I only use conditioner. Unless I'm stripping out hair dye with cheap, harsh shampoos like Herbal Essences and Suave.

If I have to use shampoo, I prefer to use Fekkai.

ETA: I only wash my hair maybe once a week. I use cold water, as cold as I can stand anyway, and I use moroccan oil in it after.

Last edited:

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I didn't transition to sulfate-free, I just started using it one day. I wash my hair every two to three days. I usually stick to every three days, but if I'm feeling exceptionally gross it might be two days. I also usually soak it in either grape seed or olive oil about once a week. And then there's a certain deep conditioning pack I like to use every now and then. It's coconut milk, oil, and keratin I believe. Not sure on specifics, lol.

milos_mommy

I was completely shampoo free when I lived in the city, but that went out the window after I was hospitalized and stuff (I was lucky I couldn't raise my hands up to shave my head because dear God I would have).

To go shampoo free, I started washing with baking soda. And sometimes rinsing with vinegar. The thing is...if you go totally shampoo free, your hair will look greasy for a week or two. And then it will look AWESOME. During the greasy looking period, braids and hats, they are your friend.

I phased out the baking soda, I went from using it every other day to every 4-5 days, to not really at all. I'd still use it if I thought my hair might need it - spent time in a smoky bar, or did something to get really sweaty, or more often I'd just suds my hands with bar soap and run it through my hair.

Now I use sulfate free, and still wash my hair like every 4-5 days.

Anddd, apparently I have NO pictures of my hair when I was shampoo free. But I got a lot of compliments on my hair at that point in my life.

GipsyQueen

I use sulfate and silicon free shampoo. I switched over a few months ago - and started washing it every other day. I use a little baby powder if it seems a ting greesy on the morning of the second day, and I'm good to go. :)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't use shampoo. I use a conditioner to massage on my scalp to clean like a shampoo, and then I use a more moisturizing conditioner to just... use like a normal conditioner lol.

So I never had any greasy transition since I'm still cleaning my hair, just without the harsh chemicals. Plus I think with curly hair its easier to hide any greasiness anyway lol. And yeah, this sort of method is really good for curly hair!

You do want to be careful then of the products you put in your hair, since you won't have the sulfates to remove it all. Basically I stay clear of silicones which is in just about everything!

So for my "cleaning" conditioner I actually use Buddy Wash lol but you can get cheapy natural conditioners from the drug store.
My real conditioner is Shea Moisture.
I use Kinky-Curly leave in conditioner and their curling gel.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
How do you go about getting started?
My hair lately has been bugging me.
It looks bad the day of/after I wash it (because my curls need the oil in my hair to not be all frizzy) but gets way too oily within a few days of NOT being washed
So the amount of time my hair is at it's peak of "pretty" is shorter and shorter. I've heard that getting started on more natural stuff for my hair would help with this.

Ideas?

Right now the "more natural" shampoos in my arsenal (right now I use Aussie) are..
- Nature's gate herbal shampoo
- Aubrey Primrose & Lavender
I also have some Lush dry shampoo powder stuff.

First off.. do you think the nopoo stuff would help my predicament/keep my hair in the "Oily but not TOO oily" phase longer?

And if so.. How often do you shampoo? What do you use? how long before my hair isn't an oily mess and gets used to more natural stuff?

Thank you
I also struggled with this (my hair is also curly, & waste length) this might sound weird (but it works ... At least for me) but I "wash" my hair with ... Conditioner I try to find sulfate free conditioner) just use it like you would shampoo, if doesn't make my hair oily at all & for me it cleans really good ... & I am someone who's hair is contacted with: dust from stalls, dirt, sweat from wearing a riding helmet & neoprene ski mask underneath.

For those really humid or windy days though I need extra help, I use this stuff from "fruitis" that is 98% naturally derived, it doesn't have a scent. It's called "anti humidity styling cream". I put a little on my hands, then wet them , then smooth it through my dampened hair in the morning before I braid it.

I don't use the dry shampoo, it always leaves my hair filmy :/.

Hope this helps.

milos_mommy

I just wanted to mention that I never ever put any kind of product whatsoever in my hair. I'm not even sure if you're completely shampoo free, you can.

kady05

I have curly hair and I mostly use DevaCurl products. They're great. I use the "low poo" shampoo (it still suds a little, but not much) 3x a week, along with conditioner. The other days I just use a conditioner. For products I use DevaCurl stuff mostly, along with some stuff from Curl Junkie or this other place.. I can't remember what it's called.

Curly hair does NOT need to be washed everyday, as it's already dry enough.

I didn't have an issue switching over, just decided to do it one day and that was it!

Kilter

I tried 'no poo' for a month and hated it. My hair never got better, just looked limp and scalp felt horrible and I felt scuzzy too, that 'I haven't showered in a week and we've been camping' feeling.

Now I shampoo maybe twice a week, with a dime sized amount of shampoo and just on the scalp, not worried about the ends. Then conditioner. Seems to work better for me.

I don't know if it's the water here maybe but yeah not a good result here....

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I never thought about just using conditioner.. that's an interesting idea!

One thing I worry about is smell.. I don't want my hair to smell like.well..hair lol I want it to smell like flowers or whatever the heck else my shampoo smells like.

I may just try conditioner or try some more natural shampoo a bit less often! Stay tuned.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
If you want it to smell nice, you can mix some honey with hot water to thin it out and put in a few drops of essential oils. The honey will be good for your scalp and the hair (you can also take coconut oil separately and place it on the ends of your hair for a few minutes). The essential oils will smell nice and you can buy a bunch of sample scents that will last a while.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I've thought about trying no-poo (the baking soda method), but I'm so nervous! It's weird, but when my hair is oily I feel gross all over, even if I'm very clean. Plus, I'm prone to dandruff (I try to do a ACV-tea tree oil rinse every week, but it... often doesn't happen, oops), so I don't want that to flare up with the baking soda, even during the transition.
Using baking soda is a little weird the first time, but it really works, and you don't feel gross at all! It completely removes the oils without drying you out. It's a great exfoliant, too.

To go shampoo free, I started washing with baking soda. And sometimes rinsing with vinegar. The thing is...if you go totally shampoo free, your hair will look greasy for a week or two. And then it will look AWESOME. During the greasy looking period, braids and hats, they are your friend.
:hail:

So true!

Right now I am SLS and paraben free. My products do have parabens in them, though. I am less concerned with the health of my hair than how it looks at this point - it has to be presentable for work, and when it's this short that means a blowout and a straightening iron. I shampoo every 5-7 days and condition every 2-4 days, depending upon how I feel. I usually use a few drops of argan oil on the tips when it's wet, and that has been working wonderfully. My hair feels better now when it's fried and dyed than it ever has before.

Members online

No members online now.