Tricks and Training

Ok, had a thread like this awhile ago but since it seems like a decent number of us are all in the training mood (must be the winter) I figured I would make a new one.

Sooo, what all are you guys working on? Polishing up? Hope to get to?

I put a halt on most formal training to work on his thinking and my timing. I'm working towards a handstand.

I decided to work on backing up the stairs to work on him using his backlegs. I was proud because I did totally freeshape this.

Normally if he's stalled for 2 minutes or so I end up shifting position or something which makes him move but I was careful to do NOTHING while he was learning this, so I was proud of myself.

Backing Up Stairs

We were having some SERIOUS issues with back feet targeting but today had a break through

Hand Stand Part 1

Our biggest issue was that he kept trying to get into heel and since he was trained to stay in heel with little to no feedback for extended amounts of time.

I ended up putting my left leg on the crate so he had no leg to heel to

So share!!

Taqroy

Good idea!! I thought about doing a handstand but I'm not really comfortable with my long and low dogs...I don't think it would be very good for their backs. I might steal your ideas for hind end awareness though. :p

But anyway. Me and The Mu are currently working on picking up and holding objects. She's pretty good with her leash and I've been working on using random objects and extending duration. We're also working on a backwards crawl. It was supposed to be a forward crawl but I couldn't figure out how to shape it and I didn't want to lure it because she locks into physical cues almost immediately. So she scoots backwards away from me, it's pretty cute. I'm going to try and get video of both tricks tonight.

Tipper is in an "Outdoor Adventure" class which no one told me is actually code for "Take your easily over-stimulated dog on a walk and try not to strangle her the whole time". It's.....going. The last two classes have ended in tears so I'm thinking about dropping it and picking something else up.

Murphy is getting lots of practice looking adorable. :cool:

SaraB

Looks awesome!! One tip with your handstand, treat low for a low head position.

I'm working on the elusive handstand with Zuma, but you all saw that video earlier.

Then I stole an idea from Savvy's mom, the lifting a front leg and the opposite back leg at the same time. We started to tackle that last night, but of course we had to tweek a few things with our rear leg lift and then I had to retrain the front paw lift so she would lift the opposite side. Right now she will life her right front leg, put it down and then lift her left rear leg. Trouble is that she has a little hop from learning to swing her rear end up into that handstand position.

With Classic, I'm always working on obedience positions because he's so massively huge it takes him awhile to catch onto things that are easier for smaller dogs. We have the flip finish where I want it, now I need to reteach the front position because it's massively crooked. I'm also working on teaching him to sit up and beg because it's adorable and awkward looking. It's going ok and he actually does have really good balance for such a big dog. I just need to get him away from actually having to touch my hand to just sitting up for a hand cue.

For formal training, Zuma's first agility trial is at the end of February and Classic has a fantastic inflatable punching bag that is in the shape of an angry kickboxer on it's way to work on his stranger danger.

I can not wait to see Mu's backward crawl!!

Sara, this is why I video it and post it! For suggestions just like that. Thank you so much (though kinda annoyed I didn't spot that myself). That's going to help a ton in the long run.

I want to see the little Zuma hop with her backlegs! Please and thank you.

SaraB

I can not wait to see Mu's backward crawl!!

Sara, this is why I video it and post it! For suggestions just like that. Thank you so much (though kinda annoyed I didn't spot that myself). That's going to help a ton in the long run.

I want to see the little Zuma hop with her backlegs! Please and thank you.
Hahaha, same reason why I video a lot of my training sessions. Not necessarily to post it but that way I can go back and troubleshoot if I'm stuck. That and it's pretty necessary when you are training agility by yourself because it's very difficult to tell if you are handling something wrong and causing the dog to make a mistake or if the dog just doesn't know it yet.

Zuma has a couple funky hops, I'll see what I can get on video for you!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Crate Games with both boys. Various games from SG's Brilliant Recall e-course too... lots of tugging and chase games and also work getting the boys in heel though it's not called that.

Auggie is getting 2x2 weave work done! My 2x2s got here Monday so I just started. Monday I tried to use one of his tugs, and he wasn't game until I brought out the ball on a rope. I hate using the tennis ball as a crutch but Tuggy is the only toy I KNOW he will go nuts tugging for...

I'm working on it with both boys, but it's more for Payton who needs to learn to use his back feet to stand nicely for me - we're working on getting one paw per Paw Pod. Like so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWBrzg_kRv4
So far Payton sorta has the idea of on paw on each pod for his front feet... Auggie is having serious problems figuring that out and keeps PAWING at them like throwing them across the room. urgh. I think I'm going to roll up some duct tape and tape them to the floor so he can't paw them and flip them so easily...

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
@SaraB -- Silvia Trkman does a lot of those "raise both paws on one side at once" or "raise opposite paws at once" type games ifyou look on her website...some vids shows parts of how she builds up to that sort of thing.

SaraB

@SaraB -- Silvia Trkman does a lot of those "raise both paws on one side at once" or "raise opposite paws at once" type games ifyou look on her website...some vids shows parts of how she builds up to that sort of thing.
Ya, that's where I originally saw it. Then I forgot about it until I saw Aleron's post.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Anyway, things we're working on:

Kim -- speed and confidence and focus w/ regard to agility. We're MACH chasing now so training is mostly around that. Doing supported head stands, readstands, spins, etc for conditioning and fun brainwork.

Webby isn't competing at the moment but we're having fun training silly tricks - most recently the handstand and balancing on cue on his hind legs, which is darn cute. He and Kim know a lot of tricks so the struggle is coming up with new things sometimes.

Mira is working on a formal field retrieve, drop on recall, finessing agility maneuvers at speed. She's still new to agility but showing rather obscene levels of potential so it's hard for me to work on anything else with her since agility is so much fun... :). She's also doing supported handstands, rearstands, etc.

jenv101

Bite Club
I just realized a few days ago that I've inadvertently taught Riley a "Backup" command simply through getting him to do it at the door when I'm trying to put Aura out and he's in my way. He is so smart and catches onto words/gestures so fast. I've been getting him to do it for a toy the past few days, and he growls at the same time as he backs up. It's pretty funny.

So I might try some back foot targeting since he already is doing the back up part! He will never be able to do a hand stand though :rofl1: He's wayyy to awkward.

Just in case anyone is curious: My dog is awesome and I absolutely adore him.

He just decided to walk up the wall with his back legs where the board ends and went until he ran out of wall (the board is under the bay window) and then continued to try and keep his feet in the air even though he couldn't because his front feet were too far in front of him (because of the board).

He tries his little heart out for me

Just in case anyone is curious: My dog is awesome and I absolutely adore him. .... He tries his little heart out for me
I think you make anyone who sees him work want a Koolie. Just from your Youtube vids I can tell he's an amazing dog.....smart and obviously super willing to work, work, work.

I may be a wee bit jealous. :D

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Right now we're going jump cross work, restrained recalls, paw targeting (he only knows nose targeting right now) and working on building a stronger tug drive, all primarily for flyball class.

I think you make anyone who sees him work want a Koolie. Just from your Youtube vids I can tell he's an amazing dog.....smart and obviously super willing to work, work, work.

I may be a wee bit jealous. :D
He really really is so amazing. From early on he just had that desire to work, to please and at the end of the day he loves his toys, he loves his food but he is working FOR me. And I love it.

Never woulda guessed :p
....I thought I hide it pretty well!

Also, I want video's people!

JacksonsMom

I've actually been really slacking with Jackson's training lately. :( Booooo! But I am trying to get back into it. I kind of ran out of ideas for a while, he knows so many of those adorably fun tricks so I think I now may take the time to teach him proper heels, etc.

Oh about a month ago, we did work on his "moonwalk" (LOL which is what I call him basically in a bow position, crawling backwards) and he caught on within 15 minutes or so! So I'd like to refresh that and perfect it. Because I think it's going to be super cute.

I have been wanting to work on handstand for a looongg time and maybe now is the time. I think I'm going to try and do what you are doing with Trav and use the stairs first, going backwards. Seems like a good starting point! The backing up onto books method did not seem to work for him.

Members online

No members online now.