A Breeder who Breeds more than 1 Breed?

Doggie07

Let's say you're looking for a dog of a certain breed. So you start searching for breeders and you find a breeder who breeds two breeds. For example: a person who breeds English Bulldogs and French Bulldogs. Would you consider that they breed more than one breed a red flag? A yellow flag? Would you consider buying from that breeder or does it depend?

Brattina88

I say, a yellow flag, and it depends :p lol

I've seen a couple breeders that I'd consider pretty good... Where the wife breeds and shows one breed (and has been for years) and marries a hubby who's been into a totally separate breed (ditto).

But normally, typically, that'd make me VERY wary.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
It alll really depends. I can see having two similar breeds, like BC's and GSD's or Corgis, ect, and then I can see having say, Danes and Chihuahuas. I take a look at the breeder as a whole, and the quality of what they're breeding.

If they're breeding fugly GSDs and suspicious looking BCs, then that's a red flag..

Dekka

Just try me..
Bounce will have puppies... Not that I plan on being a prolific LHW breeder (well not even a prolific JRT breeder).. if they breed few litters and do lots with their dogs, I don't know why it would make a difference.

If they were churning out litters, then I would worry. But then it doesn't matter if they are churning out one breed, or 7....

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I don't see a problem with it, as long as their dogs are well bred. I might start getting suspicious if they have four or more breeds, but two? Not a problem in my book.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
It depends. There's a breeder I found who breeds chis, Rottweilers, and Danes. It sent off a red flag for me, personally. Though I know BC breeders who also breed other herding dogs or LGDs, and that makes sense to me.

When I look for a breeder, I personally want a breeder who is wholly invested into their chosen breed.

Dekka

Just try me..
When I look for a breeder, I personally want a breeder who is wholly invested into their chosen breed.
Just curious, why? Can't a person be very involved with two breeds? I mean if they approach each breeding with care and forsight, breed to improve the breed. Take the time to do appropriate sports/testing with each breed. (ie my whippets race and course, the JRTs do earth dog stuff... well actually they do a pile of things, but you get where I am going)

Are you saying I would be a better JRT breeder if I don't breed Bounce? That somehow the Dekklets would be better if I never entertained the idea of also having Bounceletts one day? Or would the Bounceletts be better pups if I only had LHWs?

elegy

overdogged
depends, though just two breeds wouldn't be a big concern for me. after all, i own two very different breeds of dogs and love them and respect and admire them both the same. i don't breed, but i've entertained the thought of it, and being involved in one breed doesn't make me less involved in the other. i don't know why it would be different for someone breeding.

Romy

Taxiderpy
If they were churning out litters, then I would worry. But then it doesn't matter if they are churning out one breed, or 7....
This. It's quality, not quantity. A lot of people I consider good breeders (they health test, prove their dogs in conformation, perfomance, keep them in the house, etc.) have 2 or 3 breeds they work with.

Often it's a show breeder who's made friends with other breeders, and gotten interested in another breed that has different things to offer than their "main" breed. For example, it's not uncommon for people with big hounds to keep small dogs like paps or whippets around. And since they're into showing, they get nice prospects from their show friends and they show the 2nd breed too. Often they'll co-own, and sometimes the "secondary" breed will have a litter under the guidance and mentorship of the original breeder.

I hate the idea of being limited to one thing. I love borzois and will always have some around, but there are also things I like to do that aren't a borzoi's strongest trait. Tracking for one. Just because I like tracking doesn't mean I have to adopt a rescue to track with and never compete or breed it because I'm already involved in one breed.

Some day I will have a good show/working prospect who was mainly bred for nose work. Maybe a spinone, maybe a beezer, or a treeing walker, or even a fila, but if I prove it's worthy of being bred and my mentors in that breed agree, it might get bred. Would that make me a bad breeder?

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Just curious, why? Can't a person be very involved with two breeds? I mean if they approach each breeding with care and forsight, breed to improve the breed. Take the time to do appropriate sports/testing with each breed. (ie my whippets race and course, the JRTs do earth dog stuff... well actually they do a pile of things, but you get where I am going)
It's just my personal preference. One of the chi breeders I really like occasionally breeds English Bulldogs, and I have no problem with that. But if I were looking for an EB I wouldn't go to her, because her main focus is chihuahuas. Her EBs aren't badly bred or anything, but it makes me feel more confident in a breeder if they're 100% invested in that breed. Absolutely a person can be extremely invested in 2 breeds and produce stellar examples of both, though.

Are you saying I would be a better JRT breeder if I don't breed Bounce? That somehow the Dekklets would be better if I never entertained the idea of also having Bounceletts one day? Or would the Bounceletts be better pups if I only had LHWs?
No, I don't think any of that. I think the Bounceletts will be just as awesome as the Dekklets. But I also know you better than I know a breeder I'm meeting for the first time, even when I do learn about all the great things they do for their dogs. I know how much you love JRTs. I also know you love your whippets, and how much you know about each breed.

TBH I'm not even sure what I'm getting at. It's just one my "things" when looking for a breeder, probably not completely rational. It has nothing to do with ethics, unless they're a mill and churning out 23 different breeds.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I wouldn't care but they aren't going to get any slack for it...that is, I still expect everything I would expect from someone who is involved with only one breed...whether they have to work harder to have sufficient time and money to fulfill those expectations with two breeds is none of my concern, if that makes sense.

So for example if they have a, say, retriever who's never been on birds because they've been busy doing earthdog with their terriers...I don't care WHY that is...whether because they are at earthdog trials or because they were busy watching marathons of The Young & The Restless...makes no difference as I still don't have the information I need.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Depends on the breed, for me. Border Collies and LGDs are bred together and I don't even think twice on the matter anymore.

If someone is breeding two or more breeds that are so diverse, I would question why. But really I think it depends on the person and knowing him/her.

Basically, I don't think it's a yes/no question. :p

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Depends on the breed, for me. Border Collies and LGDs are bred together and I don't even think twice on the matter anymore.

If someone is breeding two or more breeds that are so diverse, I would question why. But really I think it depends on the person and knowing him/her.

^ This.

I've seen a few breeders who DO breed two very different types of breeds, but are very invested in both for different reasons. They title all of their dogs, but in different venues per breed (one example I saw of this, IIRC, was Pembroke Welsh Corgis and Wolfhounds). They are extremely familiar with both, health test both breeds appropriately, and prove the dogs.

In those cases, I have no problem with it whatsoever. It's as reputable as breeding a single breed, IMO.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I wouldn't care but they aren't going to get any slack for it...that is, I still expect everything I would expect from someone who is involved with only one breed...whether they have to work harder to have sufficient time and money to fulfill those expectations with two breeds is none of my concern, if that makes sense.

So for example if they have a, say, retriever who's never been on birds because they've been busy doing earthdog with their terriers...I don't care WHY that is...whether because they are at earthdog trials or because they were busy watching marathons of The Young & The Restless...makes no difference as I still don't have the information I need.
This. Especially the bolded part.

Breeding 2 breeds doesn't concern me, but I'm not gonna give any passes or slack because they breed 2.
If you are going to breed more than one breed..you better make sure you can do BOTH 100%.

More than 2 I'd be a little concerned, only because "breeding stock" tends to be quite a few dogs.. so if you have quite a few dogs of every breed..that's A LOT of dogs. and I'd be concerned if they are all getting enough attention.

There are probably exceptions.. but generally, I'd be concerned if they bred 3 or more breeds.

I'm fine with "family" things. Like mom breeds chihuahuas, dad is a border collie breeder and they met and joined forces. and then their daughter was raised into the show/dog world and now breeds golden retrievers. Because I think that gives each breed/dogs their own person and someone to really get into it

For me, it all depends on the number of people and the ability to give 100% to each breed and each dog.

Zoom

Twin 2.0

^ This.

I've seen a few breeders who DO breed two very different types of breeds, but are very invested in both for different reasons. They title all of their dogs, but in different venues per breed (one example I saw of this, IIRC, was Pembroke Welsh Corgis and Wolfhounds). They are extremely familiar with both, health test both breeds appropriately, and prove the dogs.

In those cases, I have no problem with it whatsoever. It's as reputable as breeding a single breed, IMO.
Yeah, this.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Nope. I don't care if they breed more that one breed. What I would look at was the quality of their breeding program and how healthy their dogs are.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I wouldn't care but they aren't going to get any slack for it...that is, I still expect everything I would expect from someone who is involved with only one breed...
This. I think my opinion is skewed a little bit because all of the breeders I've known IRL who breed two breeds are leaned towards one, and slack off on one of the breeds.

If that was eliminated, and they gave 100% to both breeds, I have no problem.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Not in the slightlest. Regardless of breeds or diferences. The dobie breeder I am currently dealing with has dobes and chinese cresteds.

I would look at the dogs.Do they do things with BOTH breeds? Ie, show, working, ect.. Titles, test BOTH breeds? How many litters do they have in total.

For me having 2 litters for a one breed breeder each year is OK, (as long as its not the same bitch). However, lets say they had 2 breeds and each breed had 2 litters each year. Then it would be a flag for me. Not a OMG run thing, but worth more research into them.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Growing up in the world of showing/breeding dogs, it never seemed out of place for someone to have more than one breed. Usually these were people with money and the ability to spend the time/effort needed to make all of their chosen breeds succeed. I'd be more concerned about the person who has a bunch of popular breeds, breeds often and floods the market for financial gain. But if they know their breed, yet fell in love with another (kind of like my current situation), then I see nothing wrong at all.

Gypsydals

Depends, how long they have been in each breed. How long they have been in their original breed and what they do with both the breeds and what health testing is done on both breeds.
Ivan's breeder has two breeds, granted she has not bred a beezer litter yet. But there are plans to.
There seems to be alot of Dalmatian people who have more than one breed. The group that seems to be the most popular with dal people is the sighthounds.

Members online