Looking for a reputable breeder...not having much luck..

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
Before looking for a breeder, I would do an extensive search on the health issues of the breed and get educated. THEN I would start inquiring breeders as to what health tests (genetic) that they do etc. No breed is free of inherited conditions etc.

Lynn
I am educated on the breed and what to expect when it comes to health problems as I own two dachshunds already.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
I would grill them as to exactly what sort of health testing they do. I would also be very careful, since it sounds like they only breed for pets. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but I think it requires some extra vigilence. Do they themselves show? Do they plan their litters to coincide with needing a new puppy themselves, or are they only "filling demand"?

Here's the breeder referral contact I found: Vicky Spencer: [email protected] , so if that one breeder you found doesn't turn out to be so great, maybe you can find more leads through Vicky.
Thanks.

I was going to talk with my husband later and if he had an interest I might give her a call.

Does Vicky breed Dachshunds? Does she have a website?

Thanks for everyones help!

Fran27

I think the two breeders you mentioned look like backyard breeders to me :(

http://www.oakmeadowdoxies.com/ : no mention of showing or health testing at all. Plus four litters in 3 months? Ugh!!! 48 hour health garantie :rolleyes: Horrible.

For http://users.wildblue.net/2dogslong/2dldog3.html and their comment... They only breed for pet quality - HUGE red flag. They breed for temperament/health/conformation, but there's no mention whatsoever of any health testing, showing or temperament testing. 1 year health guarantee = bad. Genetic issues typically show up much later than that. And they call themselves reputable? What a joke.

Don't walk, run away from that kind of breeder. You won't pay more for a well bred puppy.

Dekka

Just try me..
Doxies do earth dog, but also obedience/rally and agility too. I would look for a few titles in something. If you have any local dog shows that have obed, or rally (even agility, thought they are not a common agility dog) Go and see if anyone has one, then ask where they got their dog (if you like it) Same with earth dog trials.

Maxy24

here is one, these ones might actually be standard though, I'm not sure...

in MO, I didn't look through the entire site but from what I gather they health test and hunt with their dogs(Though the giant e-collar put me off I guess it's a hunting thing): http://www.eridox.com/

adojrts

here is one, these ones might actually be standard though, I'm not sure...

in MO, I didn't look through the entire site but from what I gather they health test and hunt with their dogs(Though the giant e-collar put me off I guess it's a hunting thing): http://www.eridox.com/

This is a breeder I would have a close look at, I like the fact that they don't breed a bunch, do testing and have lots of info on their site. From a quick look I would give them a high rating at this point. Although I prefer a dog CERF'd within 6 months of being bred.............just in case.

sheepjoke

go to the dachshund club of america. start there know what questions to ask. not all show breeders are reputable, but my opinoin is all reputable breeders show dogs or compete in other events to prove the dog is worthy of breeding.

avoid anyone with a "pair" of dogs that "only breed once a year" and don't show or know the standard and breed to sell puppies, instead of breeding to better the breed and for them to hopefully get a show dog to carry on the breeding program.

avoid pet stores, of course.

avoid anyone who gives a health guarantee that requires the return of the dog. This is a loophole insuring they wont likely have to honor their guarantee since you will love the dog and not want to give it back.

ask about back problems in the breed, and especially in the breeders lines. yes, weak backs prone to issues are hereditary to an extent. If they don't know what is behind their dogs two, three, four generations back, find another breeder.if they dont care what you do w/ the dog once you buy it, ie, full papers and dont make you sign a spay/neuter agreement or a show contract, they are not a reputable breeder.if you are in a hurry to purchase a puppy then you will lilkely be willing to settle for something not well bred. so do not be in a firestorm to buy a puppy take youre time and find the right breeder and the right puppie will come along.

sheepjoke

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
Don't settle for anything less than a lifetime health guarantee. And find someone who requires to meet you in person and preferably do a home check. Find someone with proven (show/work) dogs that live in the house as pets (and make sure there aren't too many of them). Find someone who doesn't breed often. You want someone who has paper proof of breed specific health testing ready and willing to share. Finding a truly ethical breed is hard. Good luck.

sheepjoke

a lifetime guarantee is ridiculous if you think it is so important why dont you try to find a daxie breeder who offers that that you consider reputable and also the contract must be one w/o the loophole of getting the defective dog back to the breeder. heck anyone can offer a lifetime guarantee if they know they will never have to honor it all they have to say is 'yes ,i will have to have fifi back and i will put her to sleep and you can have another puppy'. now do you think that they will give fifi back to the breeder? no. loophole. lifetime guarantees are ridiculous. i dont guarantee against old age issues that a vet or owner could call 'genetic'.

there are a lot of responsibel breeders of doxies you can find one but you have to be realistic most dont health test but know thei rlines and the longevity and health that is a fact they tried to to the DNA PRA test here but the test diod not work on the dogs in the US, who were testing as "afflicted" for PRA but passed a CERF exam at age 12 or older! some do cerf eyes and maybe patellas but the main issue would be epilepsy and backs and there is no test for that, you juwt have to find a breeder who knows the generations in their dogs and what is there.

again most pet people do not want a 'working temperament' dog so i think that is a bad route to go unless they plan on working the dog themselves and plan on a very busy temperament and thats putting it mildly. living in the house is nice but not always necessary dogs like to be dogs not people that is a people perception there are a lot of nice kennels who have great socialized healthy puppies and who rotate house dogs occasionally. go to the doxie club of america, and see what health testing they recommend...it aint much if any and they are the club to start looking for a breeder. judge the breeder by their dogs and knowledge and environment not by someone elses standards of what is righ tand fwrong for a breeder.

sheepjoke

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
You wont find a life time guaruntee from a good breeder.

After about the age of 5yrs, the dogs health is usually dependant on the owners way of raising them.

Smoking, environment, location, exercise, lifestyle all play into how a dog lives..

Members online