Will a puppy love you more than an adult dog?

ocean2026

Is the advantage of getting a puppy because it bonds more closely to its owner and is a more loving pet than perhaps a 1-2 yr old dog?

or

is the advantage more in being able to watch the dog grow and to be able to train it the way the owner wants?

You can do all of that with an adult dog (er.. except the growing part).

My puppy had zero interest in me. We didn't start to bond until he was nearly 1 year old already.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
All of my dogs have been over a year old when I've gotten them and I don't think my Aussie could be anymore bonded to me.

I think the main advantage in a puppy is knowing the background. I've had to guess on the first year and some with my dogs and work from there, but you typically have a decent idea of where a pup came from. Doesn't mean there won't be surprises though.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
The age you get a dog has nothing to do with bonding, IMO. I know people who have had their dog since eight weeks and never have the bond that some folks with a rescue adopted at the age of seven have with their dog.

It depends on many factors. I don't think you can predict the level of bond you'll have with a dog. Just give it the best you can, spend lots of time with them and it just... happens!

Maxy24

To me the only benefit of a puppy (if we are talking about shelter dogs) is that you can make sure he gets all his socialization. BUT if you get an adult you can tell what the affects of his socialization are, so if he is not noise shy, human or dog aggressive you can be confident that no matter what socialization he got he's pretty well off.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
is the advantage more in being able to watch the dog grow and to be able to train it the way the owner wants?
For me it's the training aspect. But it's really only an issue because I train for various competition venues and I want the imprinting. I could get an adult that had been started with training, that had the right imprinting and socializing, but I'd pay much more money for it.

For most people, they do fine getting an adult. The benefit of getting an adult is that you have a better idea of the dog's temperament, personality, size (especially if it's a mix), etc.

Dekka

Just try me..
In some cases rescuing a dog can help a bond be stronger. The dog knows that there are other options than a loving family.

This dog (Sport) was rescued. We got him at a year. He had belonged to a family who really didn't like him. (he was left in a crate while the family went away for a weekend vacation with no one to come let him out)

Look at him now. He LIVES for my son.

There is no way that dog could love the child any more. We had a pup we got from a breeder. My son tried to work with her. He went to lessons with her. He loved her.. but they just didn't bond.

It has nothing to do with when you get your dog. It has more to do with how well your dog fits into your family. And in many cases its easier to know how well a dog will fit if he's a bit older.

BerryBye

Dekka...those pictures made me all misty eyed! What a beautiful pair!!
Thank you for sharing those. :)

R

RedyreRottweilers

The dog I have had who was THE most attached to me I acquired when she was 5 years of age, and I had never seen her until she came to live with me.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Dekka those pictures melted my heart.

For me... most of the dogs I got as puppies I didn't bond overly well with except one, Cheyanne. That dog and I had a very close bond...

But I have to say... there is no dog on this earth I have ever bonded too like I've bonded with Bamm... and I got him when he was almost 2 years old. Sure I wish I could have had him and experienced his puppy years... but I wouldn't trade that dog for the world.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
The closest bond I have ever had is with Uncle Fred. He was just about full grown when I got him and absolutely worships the ground I walk on.

The next closest was with Ahoj, the Scottie I got when he was at least ten, maybe older. Our theory is that these dogs who have had tough lives elsewhere blossom when they are loved and cared for and love you like no other dogs can

Doberluv

Oh yes, definitely....depending on your relationship with your dog, young or old, you should have a really strong bond. Dekka.....such heart warming and darling pictures.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
wIth a puppy if you do your homework you can do early socialization, and train gently but your still going to go through phases like the teenage time. I prefer a puppy for myself because i adore babies. YOu can get the same depth of relationship from a rescued older dog though you may have some issues. I think it boils down to about the same in the work department except for chewing.

lizzybeth727

For me it's the training aspect. But it's really only an issue because I train for various competition venues.
I train service dogs, and my organization gets all of our dogs from shelters/rescues. The temperment evaluations for puppies are not accurate enough for what we do, so we only adopt adult dogs -- 1-3 years old.

It is very hard to compare organizations, since the training program and standards are different everywhere, but IMO we spend just as much time training the dogs as an organization that starts with puppies. Sometimes, too, because we don't know exact ages of the dogs, we get younger dogs - 8-12 months - and we ALWAYS spend more time training these dogs, because they lack the maturity to do the job as well as an older dog. Most of a service dog's job is to lay and chill out, which younger dogs have a hard time with! So we find that older dogs are much easier to train overall.

If you compare release rates - the number of dogs that are brought into the program only to be determined to not have the temperment for a service dog - our rate is also much lower than the rest of the industry. We release about 40% of the dogs we bring in. Organizations that breed their own dogs will release about 70-80% of the litter - and they are breeding ONLY for temperment, and do extensive socialization and early training with their puppies.

So, again, it's very hard to compare, but IMO there is no benefit to getting a puppy versus an adult, or vice-versa. Personally, I'd ALWAYS prefer an adult, puppies drive me crazy!

I think getting them as an older dog, they appreciate you more. I got Roly from a pet shop and 10 weeks old and Lady as a one year old, it may be the breeds, but Lady is a lot more willing to please and like more attention. Roly takes me for granted :)

Members online

No members online now.