Home owners

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Are your dryers, ovens, and furnaces properly vented? Meaning, do they go outside or do they go no-where or to the attic/crawlspace?

We are finding SO many houses that this is an issue, of course it's not an awful fix but it is an FHA issue so it must be fixed.

It just surprises me how many houses are not vented.

ACooper

Well we don't have a big oven vent, just a little hood with electric fan........so no, our oven isn't vented outside.

Our dryer is vented to outside. Our furnace is vented up through the second floor, through the attic to the outside....and our hot water heater (gas) is also vented outside because it runs into the same piping as the furnace vent.

I hate calling the metal tubes/pipe a chimney because in MY mind, a chimney is a pretty brick square that santa can fit down, LOL, but according to Kevin, that metal PIPE is indeed a chimney, hahaha

EDIT: I am surprised you are finding houses NOT vented! I mean the dryer is one thing........but a furnace? O_O How does that NOT cause carbon monoxide build up? IDK....maybe I just don't understand how things work, LOL

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
My oven and furnace were correct when we moved in. Our dryer vented to the garage which is just dumb. Not a hazard...just dumb. It's not an issue here in terms of permitting the sale to go through but we re-routed it outdoors right after we moved in.

You'd be surprised what you find when you start digging and houses. actually I'm not surprised anymore when I find crazy stuff. venting is usually the least of the problems. but our house that we are currently renting out because we moved had the range hood vent into the attic in the bathroom fans ventedn right into the attic

Kilter

Here anyway, you can get an inspection first before buying and put that sort of thing as part of the condition of sale or ask for a rebate in the price to fix it (Canada). And some things you can't sell the house with. This house had a shed along the garage that they had to take down before it sold, honestly wish it was still there...

And lots of 'other' things wrong with the place but we just adapt and work through it. Like I can't microwave something, boil water and listen to the radio at the same time, because it's all on one breaker.....

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Here anyway, you can get an inspection first before buying and put that sort of thing as part of the condition of sale or ask for a rebate in the price to fix it (Canada).
if you're going with a conventional loan anything goes here but with FHA we need a lot of (often silly) fixes.

The house we had an offer accepted on has venting issues and while its fixable its just silly that is so common.

ACooper

Hey, I just realized this could ALSO be called the VENTING THREAD and perhaps merged with the other one! :rofl1:

Yes.......I am just that corny! hahahahaha (and easily amused)

Here anyway, you can get an inspection first before buying and put that sort of thing as part of the condition of sale or ask for a rebate in the price to fix it (Canada). And some things you can't sell the house with. This house had a shed along the garage that they had to take down before it sold, honestly wish it was still there...

And lots of 'other' things wrong with the place but we just adapt and work through it. Like I can't microwave something, boil water and listen to the radio at the same time, because it's all on one breaker.....
Ha, we had an inspection. I wonder how that guy had a job. I would have better off doing it myself. Lesson learned.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Well we don't have a big oven vent, just a little hood with electric fan........so no, our oven isn't vented outside.

Our dryer is vented to outside. Our furnace is vented up through the second floor, through the attic to the outside....and our hot water heater (gas) is also vented outside because it runs into the same piping as the furnace vent.

I hate calling the metal tubes/pipe a chimney because in MY mind, a chimney is a pretty brick square that santa can fit down, LOL, but according to Kevin, that metal PIPE is indeed a chimney, hahaha

EDIT: I am surprised you are finding houses NOT vented! I mean the dryer is one thing........but a furnace? O_O How does that NOT cause carbon monoxide build up? IDK....maybe I just don't understand how things work, LOL
I didn't even know ovens were vented lol, I knew dryers & furnaces were but I didn't know about ovens ... Tho one doesn't typically leave their oven on when they leave like they either dryer or furnace ... Tho our furnace is electric so I don't know how that works

LindaJD

We used to have out furnace vented out the fireplace chimney, but when we replaced the furnace we had to have it direct vented outside per new codes in Ma.
I don't understand why more people don't do research themselves before they buy a home along with a home inspection. You really should learn some major and some not so major things to look for. I had a friend buy a home and she was shocked when she got water in her basement after the first year, one look and I could have told her not to buy that house. If you looked close at the basement walls, you could see water marks. When we were looking at houses, that was a major no go for me. I wanted a dry basement at all times.

I didn't even know ovens were vented lol, I knew dryers & furnaces were but I didn't know about ovens ... Tho one doesn't typically leave their oven on when they leave like they either dryer or furnace ... Tho our furnace is electric so I don't know how that works
The problem is in the winter, you suck the warm moist air out of the house and if it vents in thethe attic it can condense and you get mold

Members online