raising a siberian husky???

VietRebel

hello, i'm 16 years old and living in Australia. i am looking to get my first dog and i was thinking of a siberian husky. though i know it's not the best breed for me but i have done a lot of research and was wondering if it would be an okay idea to get one. i will be the person mostly taking care of it and i have 4 adults living in the same house. i have school and will not be at home for 8 hours on week days (is it too long? i will not get two dogs so it might be left alone). i have a small fenced backyard and a medium size front yard. i know of a fenced park close by (is it okay to let it off leash while there? will i be able to play fetch with it or is it too stubborn?). i will be able to take it there for hours on weekends and 2-3 times on weekdays after school (does it need more excersise?). that's all the questions i have so far i think.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
if your in the US, unless the park is a dog park you will NOT be able to let your dog offleash whle there (you can get fined!) and having only a small backyard, and the dog being basically alone during the day (saying youll be the primary care giver) i dont think ig go with a dog with as much drive as a huskie
But ive not had much personal experience with sibes, however all those ive seen/met are much too high drive for a small garden with no work...
There are sibe owners on the board that should come along soon and give their opinions.

i however think you should look into other breeds, ones who are a little more removed from their working drive, are there any other breeds that catch your interest?

zoe08

I didn't know Sibes would do very well in Australia as they are a northern breed? However I guess if they are bred there they may be adapted.

Will you be able to go to training classes? How often will you be able to take him/her to the park? Sibes do have a lot of drive and have been known to be destructive when left alone for very long periods of time. A Sibe really needs a large yard, with at least a 6 foot fence.

You also have to brush them all the time or else they will get matts in their fur.

I love Sibes, my fiance has one and he is the sweetest thing. But they are not usually for first time dog owners.

I would suggest going to a shelter and seeing what dogs they have there. You can probably find one that will fit what you want/need in a dog to be right for you.

Plus going to a shelter usually eliminates the costs of puppy shots and spay/neuter.

dogstarsleddogs

The dog is never wrong!
though i know it's not the best breed for me
Dont mean to be rude- but why get one then? If you know a dog isnt the best, why even bother? You should get a dog you know will fit in with our life 100%. Getting a dog is an atleast a 15 year commitment. You want a breed that you know will work.
Why do you want a husky?

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Actually, as for the weather in Australia, I'm not sure exactly how warm it gets there, but when we had our Husky, we lived in Texas(100F in the summer). Misty was a Primarily outdoor dog, but she did come in at night, and when the weather wasn't agreeable. We lived on 3/4 of an acre(fenced), and she was fine. She was very content, and loved it. But of course she had tons of attention. If you'll be able to take it to the dog park on weekends, and walk it daily, I don't see why it wouldn't work. We finally moved after owning our Husky for 5 yrs to a 7 acre wooded lot, and she was in heaven there. Unfortunately a year later, she was hit by a car. I can't stress enough, that Huskies NEED a fenced yard. Even though we were way off the road, she apparently chased something out of the yard into the road. It's good that your yard is already fenced. Misty was quite easy to train, and housebroke in a mater of days. She was, of course, a year old when we got her, but she'd never been inside before we got her, so she was new at the housebreaking. Misty was an all around great dog. The only thing I'd caution you about though, is other small animals. Huskies will stalk, and kill small prey. If you have cat, rabbits, etc introduce them at a young age. If you can't, then keep them separated. Good luck in finding a dog, whether it be a husky or not. ;)

Lauren :D

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
If you'll be able to take it to the dog park on weekends, and walk it daily, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
no way enough for a well bred sibe, your looking at more 2 + walks a day, mental work, etc

yoko

well i guess i'm going to be the one going against it right now soooo don't shoot me.

since you are 16 maybe you should find out what the adults want. you still have school and friends. what are you going to do when you have a job? areyou planning to go to college? if you are who will watch the dog while you're gone? if you take the dog with you will you be able to find a place that would allow your dog especially a larger one? how would you be able to aford to take care of yourself, your rent, and your dog?
the dog can't care for itself while you are gone that long, atleast not one like that. sibe would take a lot of training and it would need for the training to be constant. if you aren't there will the 4 adults watching the dog follow the training you feel is best for your dog? and if they don't what will you do? the dog is your responsibilty.
at 16 i don't think it should be your dog i think it should be your family's, atleast during the period of time when you're looking for a dog.

not meaning to be rude just giving my 2 cents

I dont think 16 is too young to own a dog, I got OC when I was 14-15years old and he was and always will be MY dog. HOWEVER it doesn''t sound like the Siberian Husky is the right breed for you at this point in time.

Members online