Building a custom boa cage

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I'm so excited about this. I've wanted a hog island boa for quite a few years now. I've really missed having snakes so with my landlord's approval, Josh told me I can get one and gave me money for Christmas to go towards one. I'm not buying the snake just yet though. I want to get my set up just right before I get one.

That said... I don't want to buy an all glass enclosure from petco or petsmart and they don't really sell anything big enough for a boa that I know of there anyways.... granted hog islands are smaller boas. I have certain wants for my cage... want doors to open in the front instead of a lid on the top, etc. So... I decided that (with my husband's help) I want to build our own boa cage.

I'm going to do 4x2x2 with 3/4 inch plywood. May build a bigger one later if needed, but this size should be fine at least for a good while. The flooring is going to be lined in linoleum to make cleaning a little easier and it will have doors that open outward with plexiglass framed in wood for the doors. It does have to have a lock on it per my landlord which is fine so I looked at different lock options when I was at home depot earlier today.

For ventilation I think Josh is just going to drill holes on the sides of the cage. I wanted to do pegboard, but he said he would rather just drill the holes himself. I don't really want to do mesh... for one thing my last snake rubbed her nose raw on the mesh a few times. For another, it gets kind of cold in my room sometimes so I don't want too much airflow getting into the cage and it's easier to keep it more humid this way.

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to do heat.... my last cages were glass ones and I put heat mats under the cage. This one I'll have to put the heat source inside the cage so I have to decide whether I want to do a heat mat or do flexwatt. I've never done flexwatt though.

This building a cage thing is really exciting to me. My husband will probably be doing most of it, but I drew up what I wanted, which is fairly simple and he's going to help me put it together.

I'm going to try to take progress pics of it being built and set up for those interested in snake stuff.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Doesn't look like we will be starting the cage today like I had hoped. I just woke up and it's pouring outside. He would need to build it outside and just no. :(

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Here's the start. Basic frame without any doors. I need to put a divider in because I think I'm going to get a hatchling and a 4x2x2 is way too big for a hatchling. I can take the divider out later though when the snake is big enough to have a lot more space.

This is where it will end up going when it's done.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Thanks guys. :) I can't wait to see it set up too. I was going to put in a divider for a baby boa and then pull out the divider when the boa is big enough for the full cage, but I may just do a tub set up for the baby and then move to this cage when it's old enough. I'm still going to have Josh help me finish this cage though.

crazy_paws

No thumbs = No mutiny
Very nice set-up!

And you are SO lucky with a handy husband. I love mine, but lord knows, he can't hang a shelf. lol

Members online

No members online now.