Buddy's Ark rescue event

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
JessL and I volunteered with the Ferret Rescue today at Buddy's Ark, an event showcasing various rescues in the Ottawa area. We spent the day demonstrating the foster ferrets and educating the public on ferrets. It was really rewarding!

I got a bunch of pics of the fosters we worked with today, as well as a handful of the dogs!

This is Bentley, he is awesome.

Bentley was found with his leg dangling, having gotten caught in a jaw trap. He's had surgery to remove the leg, and has bounced back. He's super snuggly and happy.

He had a very busy day, rested in his crate a lot.

One of our fosters, Bob!

Bob is actually a girl. Oops. She's a silver roan, about 3 years old, tiny, and adorable. I think she was Jess' favorite.

This is Henry, a landseer Newfie and one of Finn's buds from the dog park.

This is Liberty.

Liberty's a little dark sable girl, who is actually owned by one of the FRSO volunteers, but she was a great little spokesgirl for ferrets!

This is an adorable Newfie mix who just wanted bellyrubs.

Bob and one of the other fosters, Frank, snuggling in the hammock.

-MORE-

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
These kids loved the rabbit rescue next door to us as well as the ferrets, haha.

This is Taz, a female DEW.

She reminded me a lot of my Porom!

Pulling a pretzel.

This is London, an adorable GSD mix up for adoption. He sort of reminded me of Dogs6's Fudge!

This is Toby!

Toby is a big dark boy who totally lapped up the attention today. Thanks to his PR, the rescue got a HUGE donation from an individual!

-FEW MORE-

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
This is Leah. <3

Leah is a big rottie mix who's undergoing chemo. She came to the rescue having been abused, but now she's a big friendly softie who adores bellyrubs.
"More rubs plz."

Pile o' ferts.

Our table.

That's all!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Today was an -awesome- day, I had tons of fun at the event and would love to do it again :)
It ended up being great that Allie and I went, as it allowed the board members to go schmooze with other organizations, many of which were having the same issues as we are, and talk to them about ideas and such.
They kept apologizing for leaving us to do it all, but really, we stood there, playing with ferrets and talking about them for 4 hours. Such a hard job ;)

Got to see some awesome dogs, and met some amazing fosters. The organizations that are there are all doing such an amazing job, I wish I was able to help all of them!

Oh and yes, I absolutely adore Bob. She is just.. gah! I want :p

Brattina88

I want Bob, too! :p Great pictures!!

Sounds like a great event! I love attending things like these, especially now that I can help with the cocker rescue booth. It's always a rewarding feeling educating the general public. Did you get any really random questions? Sometimes you just have to laugh :D Thanks for sharing!!

JessLough

Love My Mutt

Sounds like a great event! I love attending things like these, especially now that I can help with the cocker rescue booth. It's always a rewarding feeling educating the general public. Did you get any really random questions? Sometimes you just have to laugh :D Thanks for sharing!!
No really random questions that I can think of. But fun story... there was this old lady there, in a wheelchair, slightly handicapped mentally and obviously physically. Apparently they were just out for fresh air and walked past the church, then saw the event, so it was a surprise to her. She LOVES animals, and was loving on the ferrets so much. Cuddling and kissing them. I had a chance to speak to her near the end, and I could just tell that it made her day. She went on and on telling me how she did not expect to see all the animals (while she was cuddling Bob) and just could not stop talking about it :) I think honestly, that may be one of the best parts of today.

Dogs6

Plus One
This is London, an adorable GSD mix up for adoption. He sort of reminded me of Dogs6's Fudge!
It is soo good that he is in Canada. I WANT!!!! *cannot have another dog*

All the ferrets are cute but Bob has something about her

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie

We didn't have really random questions, unfortunately. :p Just a lot of people clueless about ferrets. It was really cool to explain to them where ferrets originated, how they behave, and why they make great pets, and just watching their faces as they said "Oh! I had no idea!" A lot of folks didn't realize that they require similar care as a cat or a dog, and when I mention that it's why a lot end up in rescue, we usually got nice donations.

I came home feeling really satisfied. It was rewarding educating so many folks about misconceptions about ferrets, and having some super-friendly ferrets on hand for them to pet and hold.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Leah was such a lovely beast, I adore her. <3 She was so calm and relaxed, and if I stopped rubbing her belly, she'd look at me all "hay! why's you stop?"

Members online

No members online now.