Nutrition

I did quite a bit of research on dog foods, as several of the Fila breeders' sites talked about feeding their dogs meat, vegetables and dairy foods they prepared. Who has the time or the cash? My research led me to Innova dog food by NaturaPet (www.naturapet.com). The stuff is fantastic. It's made from whole foods, all human grade and acceptable cuts of meat (no feathers or feet!), no additives, no chemically, hormonally treated ingredients, no antibiotic treated meats, just REAL FOOD that is good for dogs. It's more expensive than regular WalMart variety foods, but not really any more expensive than Iams or Eukanuba, and they don't eat as much of it since it fills their nutritional needs without so much filler to pass through and overload the old pooper-scooper.

Another trick I've learned for large breed puppies is giving them calf milk replacer while they're growing and need plenty of calcium. You get it at farm supplies and it's a very cheap source of nutrition for large breed puppies. I've never tried it on small breeds, but Charlie always gave it to his Doberman puppies back when he bred Dobies, then continued with his Mastiff/Rotty mixes. All the extra fat is extracted from it, so all the pups are getting is nutrition.

It certainly makes a difference what you feed your dog.
This is great information, thanks for sharing it with us.

Chazhound

I really like Wellness Formula and have heard good things about this food but would appreciate any advice you might have about this particular brand.

jet-on-devon said:
it would be great if the link involved included Canadian-made foods.
Unfortunately, I don't know what dog foods are manufactured or available in Canada. The list available in the comparison wizard tool is quite extensive, but may or may not list Canadian brands.

Perhaps a Canadian brand has a website with a similar tool?

Members online

No members online now.