Samantha's life changes.

Before last week I only worked mon, wed, and fri from 8am-3 or 4pm and Sam was crated while I was at work and at night while we were sleeping. Well that job wasnt cutting it so i was looking for another daycare job and I went into this huge, awesome daycare (when you walk in there is this huge mcdonalds playground type thing and they have an enormous gym w/ 2 huge pits filled w/ foam cubes and an outdoor playground and concession stand that sells candy, cookies, muffins, hotdogs, nachos etc.) 2 fridays ago to ask for and application. He asked me to start mon. which was last mon. I said ok and then I got home and was freaking out about what to do w/ Sam. I thought she was being crated too much already. Theres no way she could be in her crate all night then again from 8 (when I leave) til 7 (when I get home) then again all night. Thats literally almost 20 hrs a day. Well I had the idea of taking her to my mom and dad's house. See I live 30 min from my new job which is in Little Rock. My parents live about a mile from my new job. I have to pass their neighborhood on my way to work. They have a HUGE privacy fenced yard and they have a mountain curr named Dixie who Sam enjoys playing w/. So now every weekday morning Sam rides there w/ me and spends all day romping and playing outside w/ Dixie. When my Dads home (he works out of town) he messes around w/ them and has even been taking Sam squirel hunting (Dixie is his squirel dog). Sam LOVES it. She is a totally different dog. She listens so much better at home and isnt running around, jumping on everyone and getting into everything anymore. She is so calm. It beneficial in so many ways. She gets to ride in the car for an hour total each day. She enjoys car rides and it gets her very used to the car. She gets to socialize w/ Dixie. She gets exercize and playtime that she wouldnt get at home and she gets out of the crate. I know I am against having an outdoor only dog but this is not the same as that. Its not like she is outside when I am home. When my family gets home before I come to pick her up they even let her in their house (their dog is strictly outdoors). Basically she is ontly spending time outside that she would be spending crated. She loves being outside and she loves Dixie. Being w/ me all the time would be ideal but this is the 2nd est thing as far as she's concerned. I am uneasy about her being outside when no one's home but the fence is secure and it is a privacy fence. The neighbors are trustworthy and they have dogs as well (there's only a house on one side of theirs). Its a very nice expensive neighborhood. No crime so far. I would never leave sam outside unsupervised in my neighborhood. I dont trust my neighors or all kids that play in my yard and the houses are so crowded here. Not to mention our yard isnt fenced.
She is only crated at night now and in the evening if we leave for some reason and on weekends if we go somewhere for a short while. Also if the weather is too cold she will stay home in her crate.

Anyway that is whats going on w/ Samantha. Her life has changed greatly and the results are amazing. Also she is close to where I am so I can check on her on my break and I could be there quickly in the case of an emergency.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
It's good that you are able to do that. I don't like when our dogs are in their crate for a long period of time either. I work days and my husband works night so I understand where you are coming from with her being crated alot. If they are crated at night they are usually out during the day and vice versa.

Since Sam is traveling with you on a daily basis now please make sure she is crated or restrained while in the car. Also, with her being outside make sure her information on her ID tag is up to date so that if she gets out she will hopefully make it home.

Congrats on the new job too!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Absolutely the reason I dislike crating all day, then crating for night.

Just look at how much happier she is already :D

I know. Her tags are up to date as of now and she almost never has her collar off even at home so she certainly always wears it when she goes over there. I cant believe the changes I've seen in her. I feel guilty for crating her and keeping her int he house so much before.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
crated while you are at work AND at night?Isn't there someone in your neighborhood that could puppy sit? THat long in a box is just all kinds of wrong.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
It's good to hear that she's so much happier now. YAY! Definitely a dog should not be crated too long.... I'm glad you made the decision to not allow that to happen.

milos_mommy

crated while you are at work AND at night?Isn't there someone in your neighborhood that could puppy sit? THat long in a box is just all kinds of wrong.
... did you read the thread?

Danielle, that's great for you about the new job and great for Sam! I bet she's loving it!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I did read the thread and the change is excellent it just horrifies me that it was once that way. I am glad she is no longer being crated like that.

I don't think there is too much wrong with crating a dog for 3 days a week (as long as it isn't a puppy). Many people do it for 5-7 days a week (which isn't great). But those people have to spend ALOT of time with their dogs when they are home, exercising the dog like crazy, playing with it, training it so that the dog doesn't just get bottled up energy from sitting in a crate for so long.
This new arrangement is obviously much better and you can tell what good exercise it is playing with other dogs and how much better a tired dog is in your home.

just make sure you put your cell (or work) number on her collar. If she got loose, what would be the use in them calling your house 30 minutes away? Otherwise it sounds like she is having a great time. Good Luck with the new job.

Elissa

I did read the thread and the change is excellent it just horrifies me that it was once that way. I am glad she is no longer being crated like that.[/QUOTI was only on mon, wed and fridays and most of the time Danny didnt go in until noon so she was crated midnight til 8am and noon until 4pm on mon, wed, and fri. I didnt really like it but I didnt have a choice. I was trying and still am to make it so she could stay uncrated at night but she isnt well-behaved enough just yet. No one can dog sit in my neighborhood. In dont even know anyone. Everyone I do know has works all day.

I cant even begin to describe my guilt for crating her that much. I dont like crating her at all but I have no alternative and I want her to be used to the crate and she doesnt act like she hates it so I think this is a great arrangement. now I have another issue. Ticks and Fleas!!! I saw a tick on her. How do I prevent them. I bather her often and I have never needed to use a tick/flea shampoo so obviously that is the first thing I need to change. What else. Can I just buy something to put on her? (advantage, k9 advantix, etc) or does she need a prescription?

I do believe you have to go to the vet for something like revolution or advantage or anything like that, but I don't think I had to make an appointment, I just called ahead to ask if they had it then told them my dogs weight and such and they had it ready when I got there.
Some people but different supplements and such in the food to help. I know apple cider vinegar helps when a horse is being eaten by mosquitos don't know what to do for a dog and fleas and tick tho

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I wish with all my heart that there could be a senior citizen pet watching program. If i felt even slightly better i would try to tackle that into a reality. IT could be such a win win situation. I have seen so many cage crazy animals that it makes me beyond nervous to read such lengthy periods of time. I know Victor wouldn't be able to tolerate even a small amount of crating, i could not have him in my life and shouldn't if it came down to time caged like that. I am glad that you have found an alternative truly. I have posted that i don't like crates period. I realize that some people don't believe in sleeping with their dogs and i can't imagine doing anything else. IT is such a close time, just about my favorite part of the day when we snuggle down together and i always wake if they jump down. I can hear my nieghbor's german shep cry all day long, and when the girl gets home from school i see the crate hauled out and hosed out. THat is 8 hours a day and the dog is chained when it goes out. SHe is at the most 6 months old and needs that time to strengthen her bones, stretch her muscles and expand her mind. No one walks her or takes her out to play. I don't know if she is crated at night or not. From my time spent at the kennels i know that dogs are the most patient of waiters. THe love us no matter what, and i have seen proof of that over and over again with hunters that i would personally like to prod with their cattle prod and let them see what it is like. Still the dog is so happy when they come to see them on the weekends. To me a dog is a member of the family, a child that never grows past the age of 7. My neighbor is not someone you can approach. The mother is a control freak and knows everything. Poor dog. I have always had a safe room where all electrical cords are removed and there is a window the dog can look out for some kind of stimulation while i am gone. I have been very very fortuante to have my mother as a doggy sitter for Mary whom was not a dog to be left alone, ever. If anyone else has the energy, a senior citizen dog sitting program would be well worth investigating. I am sure many would be more then glad for the company and a gift certificate a week of 25 dollars or more for the grocery store. I beleve it is totally d0-able idea. SO many people reach for the easy answer. And people do have to work but crating all day is not the proper answer for any dog. 2020 hindsight i don't believe in kennels either, and wish i had not participated 20 years of my life in keeping one running. WHat a waste for every single one of those dogs. Each deserved a home and a family. A 20 minute training session and a few pats at feeding time a day doesn't equal a family and never will.

Members online

No members online now.