The Wannabee Farm

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
A little update...

We've had our rooster for a year now and he's really settled in to be a nice flock rooster. Protective, but not human aggressive. We had a difference of opinion when he was about a year old and had just taken charge of the flock, but now that he's matured a bit more and grown in confidence, we get along just fine.

The hen with him here is one of our two 2014 pullets and our only green egg layer. Currently laying the most frequent and biggest eggs of the flock.

Otherwise it's pretty much just wintertime -- not a lot going on besides keeping waters thawed, cleaning up, and preparing for spring.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
That is a handsome bird :)

I remember when my grandmother had chickens...her rooster was quite mean.

joce

I only wear pointy boots to my grandparents house because she has some mean roosters I would have fed to the dogs loooong ago!

My rooster is a sweetheart. Really lucked out.

Kinda wondering if I could do this meat rabbit thing? Probably result in a thread of help me name my fifty pet bunnies lol. I just want to do pigs but husband hates the smell. Get over it we live on a farm. Surrounded by other farms.

Beautiful pics!!

We are in the middle of a storm here. Spring seems so far away!

milos_mommy

I'm just seeing this thread for the first time! This is great! How much space does your colony take up? I never considered raising meat rabbits! Do you use the hides for anything? This isn't the most pleasant question, but what does killing/processing them require?

I eventually want to have a small urban/suburban homestead. I never considered anything besides poultry meat due to size.

Grab

I only wear pointy boots to my grandparents house because she has some mean roosters I would have fed to the dogs loooong ago!

My rooster is a sweetheart. Really lucked out.

Kinda wondering if I could do this meat rabbit thing? Probably result in a thread of help me name my fifty pet bunnies lol. I just want to do pigs but husband hates the smell. Get over it we live on a farm. Surrounded by other farms.

Beautiful pics!!

We are in the middle of a storm here. Spring seems so far away!
I don't know if it helps, but my coworker has pigs most of the time (between 4H and then raising pigs for meat) and there isn't any odor by the pen.

milos_mommy

If you'd get attached to bunnies I'm pretty sure you'd get attached to pigs lol.

Also, I don't think pigs have much of an odor? I mean yeah pet pigs do past typical cats and dogs but we frequent a small working farm and the piggy area smells far less than the sheep and goat area, if at all. We also have a local garden center with a resident pig and it doesn't smell like anything but mulch there.

joce

If you'd get attached to bunnies I'm pretty sure you'd get attached to pigs lol.

Also, I don't think pigs have much of an odor? I mean yeah pet pigs do past typical cats and dogs but we frequent a small working farm and the piggy area smells far less than the sheep and goat area, if at all. We also have a local garden center with a resident pig and it doesn't smell like anything but mulch there.
Every house with pigs here reeks! Don't know if it's just how the wind blows, or doesn't blow!

I have no issue getting attached to pigs. Learned back in 4-h get pigs that are from parents that are mean and you don't have that problem. We then ran into the problem of them trying to eat us when we fell by the pen!!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Springtime!

New chicks arrived. I considering hatching out my own but my hens really got underway too late this spring for the incubator and I don't have a broody. So I bought some from a local instead. Should all lay blue-green eggs.

Also, several of them have epic Civil War Beards

Also, we added bees, who seem to be doing well

Last edited:

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Limited food garden this year: one long 4' x 30' raised row. Adding more raised rows through this summer to be prepped for next spring. Lots of perennials really starting to show their colors now that they are established.

Last edited:
Working on it! Sorry :/
Fixed!

Your tomatoes are so much further along than mine. Mine are still only about 4" tall. I didn't realize you had an observation cut out in your hive, so cool! I keep trying to convince my husband that we need an observation hive in our house. He hasn't gone for it yet.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Fixed!

Your tomatoes are so much further along than mine. Mine are still only about 4" tall. I didn't realize you had an observation cut out in your hive, so cool! I keep trying to convince my husband that we need an observation hive in our house. He hasn't gone for it yet.
I love the observation window. They don't seem to care at all when I open it to see how things are going. Lets me do a quick check without gearing up or disrupting their activity as much as opening the whole hive :)

/helps

Members online

No members online now.