Outside Potty Training

TainaPR

Quick question: I am working with Taina on getting her to go outside and stopusing the pads, as she is a bit older now and can hold it longer. This morning I took her out after sleeping all night (and going on about 11 hours without going pee).
We were outside for about 20 minutes and she did nothing, just explored. As soon as she came back in she ran for the laundry room and peed on the pad :rolleyes: How can I 'make' her go outside? Friday was the same thing we were out of the house from 8 to about 4, never went pee not even at PetsMart. As soon as we got in the house she did it on the pad. I know its my fault but I dont know how to correct it. Will I be buying puppy pads the rest of her life?

BostonBanker

I've never personally re-trained a pad trained dog, but my friend did it with her chihuahua. She started by only have the pads available to him outside - she'd just stick on on the lawn where she wanted him to go, and made sure there weren't any in the house. Eventually when she picked up the pad (I know she kept it there for at least a couple of weeks) he just kept going in that spot.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I've never trained a dog to use a pee pad as I didn't want to have the exact same problem you're having, but what I've read you can do is start gradually moving the pee pad towards the door (or if you're sure the puppy is using the pee pad itself and not just the area the pee pad is in, you could probably skip that step). The end result is to have the pee pad end up outside on the grass. Once the dog uses the bathroom on the pee pad outside, just start reducing the amount of pad you offer until you've eliminated the pad and the dog is going on the grass.

Hopefully some other members with actual experience will be a bit more helpful.

~Tucker&Me~

It can help if she smells pee where you want her to go, so even though it's gross, consider using an already soiled pad when you first move it outside to her convince her that the grass is in fact a potty spot.

TainaPR

It can help if she smells pee where you want her to go, so even though it's gross, consider using an already soiled pad when you first move it outside to her convince her that the grass is in fact a potty spot.
Sounds great actually. I think i'll give it a try tonight, and also tomorrow morning when she'll be dying to go.

Another question: Possibly this week i'll be receiving a foster (year old shih tzu girl). She's outside trained, would it help Taina having another dog who goes outside? If this is the case I would keep her for a bit before giving her to mom, who will be adopting her.

Members online

No members online now.