Anyone know about the S.T.A.R puppy program

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I really really want to work towards Cricket getting her CGC eventually. I was told about a S.T.A.R program for puppies that is supposed to teach some of the stuff you will need to know for CGC and it's basically a CGC program for puppies.

I'm interested in enrolling Cricket if there's a class out here. We'll still obviously take our actual CGC classes afterwards, but I want us to be in a puppy class here soon and was interested in the S.T.A.R program. Anyone know anything about it and how to find a CGC evaluator that offers this class?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Any CGC evaluator can offer the class I think, but imo it's not that necessary before CGC. Some people like the foundation, but to get all the topics in and tested in the 6 weeks required means that the trainer is going to be limited in how they teach it.

I have considered offering such a class, but decided that the puppy class I already have designed is more to my liking. A good puppy class should teach most of the skills, so it's really just a nice little title. ;)

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
STAR Puppy test items and pledge
AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program: Test Items and Pledge

STAR Puppy evaluator guide
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/starpuppy/evaluator_guide.pdf

Find an evaluator:
American Kennel Club - Canine Good Citizen Evaluators

Any good puppy class should provide a good foundation toward the CGC. The CGC is just about good manners/socialization ~ LLW, allowing a stranger to examine them (as would be needed for a trip to the vet or groomer), walking past distractions, greeting someone, walking past a dog...

It's been a while since I read through all the stuff in the STAR Puppy program, but IIRC there were a few things required to pass the test that I just didn't think were worth pushing.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
A good puppy class should teach most of the skills, so it's really just a nice little title. ;)
^ This

The puppy class Mira was in did the S.T.A.R. certification. Doing this changed nothing at all about the course except that they had a CGC evaluation as a co-instructor. The curriculum, since it was a good class to start, already fulfilled all the S.T.A.R. reqs and then some.

'course, it gives you a chance to get cute pics like this ;)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
^ This

The puppy class Mira was in did the S.T.A.R. certification. Doing this changed nothing at all about the course except that they had a CGC evaluation as a co-instructor. The curriculum, since it was a good class to start, already fulfilled all the S.T.A.R. reqs and then some.

'course, it gives you a chance to get cute pics like this ;)

OMG that pic is to die for. I think I'm just going to look for a puppy class that also offers S.T.A.R and just focus on us having fun in the class and if we happen to get the S.T.A.R achievement then awesome and if not then at least we will have learned a lot in the class.

Members online

No members online now.