Bladder stones

My Shih Tzu Shadow who is 7 recently had surgery for bladder stones and the vet recomended putting him on a U/D dog food diet. I need to find a dog food that will be good for him as well as his brothers who are also Shih Tzus their ages are 2,3 and 5. My dogs pick at their food all day long and it would be almost impossible to feed them each a different diet, because they would be eating each others food. Does anyone have any suggestions?

showpug

I had a dog with a case of really bad bladder stones a few years back. We had surgery done on him 3 times and the stones kept returning. After some time on the UD diet they seemed to go away as stones ARE caused by dietary problems, urine pH etc. I would recommend that you follow your vet's advice on this one. These stones are a serious problem and enless you want to continue to have costly surgery done than I would stick to the ud. There are many ways to feed dogs separate foods, it just takes time and patience to get them adjusted. If you don't mind running the risk of this possibly coming back, then try a high quality food like Innova EVO...this food is very close to a dogs natural diet and may help prevent some of the problems we see in dogs today from dietary problems. Good luck and I hope your pooch stays healthy. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
bladderstone story..we had a labrador. a big old mama that had bladder stones..when the vet removed them he put them in a qt canning jar and it filled them to the top. They were very interesting, smooth and looked like white rocks that had been tumbled..i kept one just for my weird collection of animal things..like feathers, skulls and such...Aaron picked up the bladder stone once and handed it to his friend Josh..he told him to taste it and dang if that boy did just that..and of course AAron and the other boys got a huge laff when he told them where it came from..i have put it out of site since so he can't pull the prank on anyone else..I asked Josh WHY did you do that!!!! HE is the most trusting kid. Aaron was a brat.

Thanks Showpug, I am going to change his diet, I just wanted advice on which food to use and if I could feed it to my other dogs. Shadow is very picky about his food, whereas the other dogs will eat anything. I'm going to ask my vet about the Innova EVO.

showpug

I will mention that my dog did not like the U/D, but he was a picky eater anyway. I hope you have better luck. I will warn you about brining Innova EVO up to your vet. Most vets don't support a raw diet and that is what Innova EVO is, only in kibble form. They will not recommend many of the "good" foods. Vets in general carry more science diet and purina based products. You may want to check with a holistic vet on the subject...they are usually more open to alternative medicine and natural nutrition. I wish you luck with everything. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i accessed the innova site and it had a part where you could type in your zip code and it would give you the nearest location that sold the food... i will start my dogs on it next month..i was trying all the feed stores and such around here without luck. Now i know where to go. Don't know why i don't search the web first..i am so dense sometimes

Mordy

Quigleyfied
showpug said:
I will warn you about brining Innova EVO up to your vet. Most vets don't support a raw diet and that is what Innova EVO is, only in kibble form.
evo is a kibble. it is not a raw diet and doesn't even have anything to do with a raw diet. as soon as something is made into a kibble, it has been heat processed and is no longer raw.

i know the advertisement for evo can be a little misleading in that regard, but the definition of raw is "in a natural condition, not processed or refined".

bubbatd

Smkie....think of how much you could sell those stones on e-bay today !!! I'm thinking of bottled Puppy Breath !!!

Thanks everyone for your help, I was at a loss of what to do. I defeniately don't want Shadow to ever have to go through this again, he was so sick.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
here is what a bladder stone looks like.

this one is about the size of superball that you would find in a gumball machine for a quarter..there were enough to fill a quart jar from this one labrador..if u felt her belly right where the bladder was.it felt like a beanbag..some were as small as peas..this was one of the larger ones..(i only kept one for my weird collection of dog stuff)

Attachments

Members online

No members online now.