Just wondering

Heleen

I bought my Jack Russel Noenoes on the spur of the moment. Not the best way I know, but we saw her in the pet shop and I fell in love. I just wanted to hold her but then made the mistake of naming her so we had to buy her. We almost lost her a week later when she got very sick. Apparently we bought a very sick puppy. I ended up spending a month and a halves salary just to save her live. Thank goodness she pulled through and is now the love of my life. My question is this:We bought her as a thorough bred Jack Russel, but her colouring is strange. She is chocolate brown and white with a brown nose and light green (yellowish) eyes. Can this be or is there some other breeds in her bloodline. I love her no matter what but would like to know anyway. I will post photos when I can figure out how.

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
There absolutely can be other breeds-

While it's impossible to tell without a photo, buying from a pet shop ENSURES that you won't ever TRULY know who your pup's parents are. ALL pet store puppies are from puppy mills, and these place aren't really concerned with maintaining proper standards of any kind. The one thing they ARE worried about is money, and ANY cute puppy is a money maker (even if it's not actually the breed they say it is, even if it has parvovirus...etc. etc.)

Case in point- I have a good friend that bought an American Eskimo from a pet shop and named "him" Joey, as the dog's papers denoted that it was a male. On Joey's first visit to the vet, the vet remarked that Joey was a strange name for a female dog. They'd never even thought to check. The papers weren't Joey's who (after digging through the long coat, was very CLEARLY a female).

Papers are bought off the black market, forged, etc. all the time. In all honesty, the papers are only as good as the BREEDER you get the dog from. They're never an indication of quality, and in some cases (especially in the cases of puppies from pet stores), aren't necessarily an indication of TRUTH either.

Still- the important thing is that you love and care for your girl- purebred or not it's very clear she is a wonderful part of your family, and you've done a lot to ensure her health and safety. Every dog should be so lucky!

Boemy

It's entirely possible that she's a mixed breed . . . Puppy mills (the suppliers of pet shops) don't care about keeping the breeds true, so if their beagle stud dies, they might use a beagle mix, daschund, chihuahua, or God knows what else!

I'm glad your puppy recovered. You obviously care about her a lot. :) For future reference, though, don't even go into a pet shop that sells puppies if you think you might be tempted. They get their puppies from horrible places (puppy mills) and their puppies often have health problems or diseases! :(

Just so you know, a thoroughbred is a type of horse. ;)

Members online

No members online now.