Hmmm is she coming on heat??

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Ruby and Chester had another supervised interaction last night - we have a baby gate so they can sniff and lick each other without Ruby trying to jump him in her excitement...lol

Things were going very well, they were licking, sniffing, talking a bit, tails wagging MADLY the whole time, and Ruby was totally overexcited but trying very hard to contain herself - obeying all her commands straight away etc...

Then after about 15 minutes she started to really stick her butt right in Chester's face through the baby gate, and then she would run around the kitchen in mad circles, come back, stop, stick butt in face, mad circles again. We had to isolate her for a bit to calm her down!!

My vet thinks she's probably coming on heat and her spay is scheduled for two days' time, but I wondered if perhaps it could be that or something else?

What do you guys think?

bubbatd

Has there been any signs of heat ?? This sounds like the 2nd week interaction. If she is in heat, she should be spade for another 3 months.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
No, nothing physical, just that behaviour last night. But then again, there was a gate between them, and dogs do like to sniff each other's bums, so maybe that was all!!

Doberluv

I don't know, but if she is, she can get bred through that baby gate. I wouldn't trust it at all. Good that she's getting spayed soon. Good luck!

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Oh goodness I hope we don't have to worry about that! - Chester is only 13 weeks old and only has one descended teste at this stage so I hope he's not fertile!! Plus, Ruby wouldn't stand still long enough and he's so little compared to her I don't think he'd be able to reach!!

014509Bo

Take a tissue and wipe her "area" :) if there is a slight brownish discharge then shes coming into heat. Take her in for her spay appointment, if the vet feels she is too far into the heat cycle they will rebook in about 3 weeks when the uterus swelling has gone down. I was talking to a breeder who put some sort of scent on her females she wasn't breeding and it masked the scent so her males didn't go crazy. I can't think what it is, if I remember I will let you know ;)

Just to let you know that in normal play with my spayed female she sticks her butt in other male and female dogs faces. Also, when dogs are getting to know each other a confident dog will push it's rear to the dog to smell, shy dogs or non confident dogs try to put tail between leg and not allow smelling.

Members online

No members online now.