Hiking With Your Dogs?

cricketsmygirl

Angels in waiting....
Does anyone else enjoy hiking with their dogs or back packing? How do the dogs like it? I got a couple of doggy back packs for the pups to carry their own things in, the came in the male today and I noticed that when Diesel is packing, he doesn't pull on the leash and sticks close. It doesn't make any sense to me but he seems to enjoy packing. I've always heard it's good to give them jobs. So anyone else have dogs who enjoy packing/hiking? Any tips on what to bring along? What type of packs are best?

Saeleofu

Yes! I LOVE hiking with my dog :) He wears a martingale collar, his EasyRider harness (since we have to drive to get anywhere fun anyway), and then this pack:
Outward Hound Urban Adventure Dog Backpack $5

The loop on the harness stick out between the two sides of the pack, and I hook a multi/euro lead up to the martingale on one end and the harness on the other. This way he can pull, but I can still slow him if needed. I prefer to let him lead, because he's better at picking a path ;)

In his pack is an extra leash (a 1/4 inch and 6 feet, so light but fairly long), water, portable bowl, and my keys/phone/etc. I have a fanny pack that I wear, or sometimes if I need more freedom of movement I strap it around his chest so it sits on top of the backpack. In the fanny pack is dog treats lol. I rest when I reach water, take his packs off, hook up the extra leash and let him play for a bit (he LOVES water).

I use his harness to help navigate some areas or for balance. I also typically use a telescoping hiking stick, because if I can get through without a stick it's not difficult enough to be fun :lol-sign:

The place I usually go has heavily wooded areas, streams, and then it's broken up by spans of tallgrass prairie. I LOVE the wooded areas and streams, but the prairies is so freaking boring, and full of thorns. I try to avoid it, but last time we decided to cut across the prairie to get to the car faster, and I was wearing capris, and my legs are all torn up >.<

A small first aid kit may be a good idea to take, though I never remember it (at least a roll of vetwrap so if your dog has a foot injury you can still get out without too much trouble...I'd hate to have to carry my 60 pound dog out!). And sunscreen and something with DEET in it (for you). I need to find a good sunscreen for Gavroche, too, because he got slightly burned this past weekend, thanks to that stupid prairie.

I go hiking almost every day with Blaze, we both love it. Burns up most of his energy, and it isn't a boring same old walk around the blocks over and over lol we both hate those walks. I don't use a back pack, as I just don't have one. I'm thinking I should get one.

Brattina88

I used to hike/backpacking with Missy (GSD) ALL the time, but since I've moved out its usually just me and Maddie (no backpack. I agree with Saeleofu's post...
Missy always carried several bottles of water! I'd say lots of water is very important, for BOTH of you to stay hydrated. I have a collapsible water bowl for the dogs, its nice. And I always needed a first aid kit. I am not graceful LOL lots of neosporin and band-aids. A pocketknife came in handy. I'm like a magnet for thorns :rolleyes: There's a looong training lead in there, but I rarely ever used it (because she has a reliable recall) but I bet it could have multiple uses. I know some people who packed lunches, cans and a can opener, etc in their dogs backpack. They are much more serious hikers than I ever was. My all day trip called for nothing more than water, PB&J, and a back of chips :p and of course, food for Missy & Maddie ;)

:D

BostonBanker

I hike Meg quite a bit, but she does it in the nude other than a collar with a tag. Because I pretty much always have her off-leash, and half the fun for her is bolting through the brush ahead of me and such, I can't imagine a pack would do anything for her but slow down her fun (and, knowing Meg, probably freak the bejeezus out of her when it caught on something). I carry the backpack with water, a bowl (usually a plastic cottage cheese dish or something because it is small and light), treats, potty bags, and a roll of vetrap (just in case).

Photos from last summer, hiking up the third tallest mountain in Vermont:

I have no idea what she found so funny (leashes are required at the top, because of the "fragile vegetation")

Resting on the summit:

lizzybeth727

I prefer to let him lead, because he's better at picking a path ;)
LOL, they are, aren't they! I was dogsitting for my friend's border collie, we went for a long walk on her wooded property. We hiked for a long time and I sort of got lost (I could've gotten us out, I knew where the road was.... I just preferred to take the shortcut), so I just told the dog "let's go home and get dinner!" and she took us straight home. :D It was pretty awesome.

I got a backpack for Luna. :) We would go jogging on this popular trail, and I usually didn't have pockets to put my car keys in, so she carried them for me. That was about all that would fit in the pack, but it was still useful!

Saeleofu

We hiked for a long time and I sort of got lost (I could've gotten us out, I knew where the road was.... I just preferred to take the shortcut), so I just told the dog "let's go home and get dinner!" and she took us straight home. It was pretty awesome.
I would be seriously lost if it wasn't for my dog. I tell him "go home" and he takes me back to the car :) I have a dreadful sense of direction, so I can't hike alone unless I have him with me.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I love backpacking with my dogs when the weather is nice. They all have backpacks (Kelty Chuckwagon works best for their build). They get excited when they see the packs come out and try to crawl into them when they're on the floor (trying to put them on themselves).

Finding the right fit depends on the shape of the dog - the Chuckwagon seems good for the tall, slender breeds, but I had an Outward Hound one that worked great for my Pits.

cricketsmygirl

Angels in waiting....
Diesel seems to enjoy packing. He is absolutely loving it and I like the outward hound packs we got minus the fact the packs aren't that big. I'm thinking about getting one with bigger packs, thanks for all the info everyone. I really enjoyed reading and I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys a good hike every now and again :)

Doberluv

I hike with my dogs most days as long as there's no snow on the trails. So, that's starting about now...winter is too much snow. They just go nekkid. They don't need to be on a leash. I use to use an Outward Hound back pack on Lyric, my Dobe sometimes, if it were going to be a long hike and he'd carry my water. There are always streams or the lake for the dogs to drink from. I'd put two small bottles, one on either side and maybe some little snacks. But now, I don't use it. We don't normally go for so long that I need to bring anything. I usually carry my leashes in my pocket or wrapped around my waste, just in case I need them.

cJw314

Vicarious Owner
Anyone overnight with their doggy friends? I've considered it when the time comes... but wasn't quite sure how to arrange for their sleeping quarters. :p

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I go camping/hiking with Sawyer. He goes nekkid though; I'm the one with the backpack.

Far as overnighting, he sleeps in the tent with me and I leave a little bit of the door unzipped.

Brattina88

Anyone overnight with their doggy friends? I've considered it when the time comes... but wasn't quite sure how to arrange for their sleeping quarters. :p
tent here as well ;) preferably next to me on the sleeping bag :p

BostonBanker

Anyone overnight with their doggy friends? I've considered it when the time comes... but wasn't quite sure how to arrange for their sleeping quarters.
I put a sheet over the motel bed and bring her own pillow from home.

Oh, you mean camping? ;)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I wish I knew of some places here where I could take Juno hiking! I've considered buying her a Ruff Wear backpack but the little off leash romping she does through the woods doesn't seem to justify that purchase. I just don't know where else we can go where she can be let off leash.

Members online

No members online now.