FDA shuts down DVM pharmaceuticals (aka TEVA, makers of Synovi, etc)

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
FDA shuts down manufacturer of generic animal drugs

FDA Shut Down Teva/DVM Pharmaceuticals (Malaseb, OtiCalm...) - PugVillage.com Pug Forums

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/aboutfda/centersoffices/ora/oraelectronicreadingroom/ucm162070.pdf

FDA Takes Action Against Teva Animal Health Inc.

VIN News

This doesn't seem to have been very widely publicized. I only heard about it because the store where I bought it sent out an advisory to all customers who had purchased DVM products.

In the advisory, they recommend JointMAX as a replacement. My personal experience with JointMAX is mixed. To summarize:

1) JointMAX looks/smells *exactly* like Synovi. Even the packaging is identical. It may very well be the same product sold under 2 different names, but I can't prove that.

2) JointMAX does work very well (as did Synovi). I can't complain about it's effectiveness.

3) I was giving JointMAX to both my dog (lab) and my neighbor's dog (German Shepherd). The shepherd liked it initially and it seemed effective, but after a few weeks she refused to eat any more. A couple months after that, my lab wouldn't eat it either (and my lab eats everything, including orange peels!). A couple months later I finally convinced my lab to eat a JointMAX, and within 30 minutes he jumped out of his seat and ran all over the house urinating. Quite disturbing! We decided that JointMAX was the most probable cause, so we threw out the rest (about $50 worth, sigh), but he's never done that again!

These days we use Zuke's Hip Action plus pharmaceutical grade fish oil and MSM. That works very well for us and no adverse side effects.

Anyway, there's probably some Synovi still out there in online stores and vet's offices. Don't buy it!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Interesting. I've used Joint Max for 2 years now and have never had a problem with this product with any of my dogs. Maybe your dog had a reaction to something else or maybe a certain ingredient.

Members online

No members online now.