Tricks and Training

SaraB

I've been working on teaching Zuma that she can rebound off of any part of my body, shooting for her to rebound off of my back/butt. I also was working on teaching her the difference between a stall and a rebound (the verbal cues). Here's a video!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e4T6VJermok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FG167

I've been working on teaching Zuma that she can rebound off of any part of my body, shooting for her to rebound off of my back/butt. I also was working on teaching her the difference between a stall and a rebound (the verbal cues). Here's a video!
Awww, you can tell she's thinking, "are you SURE you want me to jump on your butt?!" lol so cute!

Here's Limit's tricks - Are you naughty? Be Polite. Frogger. Handstand on the wall. We got an independent for 2-3 seconds last week but then he fell over onto his back (I caught him on the way down) and we've taken a bit of a break. We WILL get there!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TWjcmwnumvY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SaraB

AHH! I love Limit.

The naughty trick is just adorable. And his flaily frogger is fantastic!! He reminds me so much of Zinga.

FG167

AHH! I love Limit.

The naughty trick is just adorable. And his flaily frogger is fantastic!! He reminds me so much of Zinga.
LOL he is allllll things flaily! :) He is the most violent shaper ever, in that he flings himself into everything with joyous abandon. He makes me laugh, every day.

OT but I am curious - and maybe I will add this to a different thread - but Limit seems an awfully lot like Zinga and Didgie in terms of learning, temperament, structure, the whole shebang. How "different" are Koolies and Kelpies. I also saw a picture a bit ago that I would've sworn was a Kelpie and was a Koolie. Because I LOVE Limit and will definitely be looking for another down the road...but if I can fulfill that need with a Koolie, I might. Not much health testing in the US for Kelpies either.

SaraB

Kelpies are the closest relative to koolies. I looked quite a bit into the differences before I settled on koolies and wasn't able to find a whole lot. There was an article that I can find for you from someone who owned both breeds. The biggest difference that I found was that Kelpies are more of an independent worker, the will easily gather sheep out of the view of the handler. Koolies tend to be more handler orientated. I wanted that just for the sheer fact that I run agility and want a lot of handler orientation.

Lyzelle

I've felt bad for not participating in TOTW lately or uploading any videos at all. So I did a quick one of me working with Zander and his kennel. I had just moved it downstairs because I have to send it back tomorrow, so he was unsure at first.

Also. Itchy face.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fx1O6BJhEFk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sekah

The Monster.
Here's another video of working on Cohen's handstand. We're finally starting to see some footsteps! She doesn't really need the wall, but it seems to be a bit of a security blanket for her, so I'm working with it. Progress is SLOOOOOOOOOOW. My guess it's because of me being kind of crappy at increasing criteria and not being entirely sure how to progress at certain points.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cUCRNL-APSM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
[YOUTUBE]oaAXkouvprQ[/YOUTUBE]

Working with the three big dogs on "all four paws on this footstool." Because I felt like it... I have a tendency to see random stuff, like the footstool my mom bought because she can't reach the top of our cabinets, and decide it's for training. (Georgie did not get to play because she is having an upset tummy.)

It's funny to me because Auggie seems to "get" the trick right away, but he can't maneuver his body into position because he just can't stop moving long enough to think it through. I cut out the minutes and minutes where he just hopped back and forth repeatedly over the stool while barking at me. Payton, OTOH, immediately thinks we are just playing the pivot game, and it takes him a while to try something additional, yet he still manages the final trick faster than Auggie. I think it's because Auggie is used to having been lured for so long, so having to figure out how to get there - even when he seems to know what I'm looking for - takes him longer.
(Spoiler, Pepper never gets to the final trick but she gets very close; it takes her longer just to manage her two front feet on the stool because she hasn't played that game as much, so we stopped with "feet on the stool and move your back feet towards the stool.")

DenoLo

Lola was a little full of it tonight, so I took out the clicker and gave shaping a shot. Didn't really have a goal, just started clicking stuff until we landed on something and then shaped it. I think we got the beginnings of a pretty neat trick out of it! (And we are really really bad at shaping, so I shall consider this a huge success lol)

[YOUTUBE]N9br_BivaQY[/YOUTUBE]

jtaylor

@SaraB -- Silvia Trkman does a lot of those "raise both paws on one side at once" or "raise opposite paws at once" type games ifyou look on her website...some vids shows parts of how she builds up to that sort of thing.
thats great, i trained jack how catch a ball with his paws. He is pretty much trained now but sometime miss it but ask me throw again ball in air.

Donna Hill

I am always working on tricks and tasks with my dogs. Here is a small compilation of some tricks my dogs know. It is interesting to note that many of these tricks started identical but that each dog has their own flair on them.
[YOUTUBE]70SO1b92Dfg[/YOUTUBE]

Jessie's favorites involve small behaviors. This is one I captured.
[YOUTUBE]ENfp99LjnAc[/YOUTUBE]

Lucy likes more action-oriented behaviors.

Sekah

The Monster.
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fTMt-4sAyIw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last night was the first time I was able to successfully transfer Cohen's vault onto a wall. Previously it'd just been reserved for angled platforms like a flyball box. Now that she understands she can do it on an upright surface I can probably start having a lot of fun with it. :)

SaraB

Started working on a footstall with Zinga tonight! I love this dog, so much!

I condensed the two 5 minute sessions into this one video, just one or two examples from each step. Next step is to just keep working on the launch up so that she can learn to collect and hold her balance upon landing. Just a matter of practice at this point! From there we will add a sit pretty on.

[YOUTUBE]wghVnpIqxx4[/YOUTUBE]

FG167

How come no one posts here anymore? Is there a new one?

I have started training Robin in flyball (myself). We've been working on his box turn - this is his 4-5th session and he is working on a loaded box! When we were in MI, he was freaked out by the bang the box makes when the ball thrower is triggered. Now - absolutely no issues what so ever, at all. :D

[YOUTUBE]iSIKeHVjmdg[/YOUTUBE]

We're also starting to seriously follow Silvia Trkman's Agility Foundations class/DVD - I can rent a field for $5/hr so I can actually work on the stuff. Tonight we re-started cik and cap. It went very well.

Limit is working on a push board (the prequel to the box) and also learning cik and cap. His recovery period for things that frighten him is getting faster/shorter every time we work - which makes me super happy! No video :(

Steele is going for his BH (for fun, he's 13, so be gentle on the heeling critiques, he has no formal obedience training). He's the bestest old dog EVER.

[YOUTUBE]wZDpAAI9YG4[/YOUTUBE]

Is there a separate IPO training thread?

Kastle is learning his blind search and transports...and retrieves. We're hoping to go for our IPO I in the next 6 months or so.

[YOUTUBE]ODSbpbCOoic[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Ydzh6hilEoU[/YOUTUBE]

Eden's working on 12 weaves but I also don't have video of her, oops!

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
I let Cara's LLW really slide because most of our exercise is done off lead or on a long line. So a few weeks ago I made a concerted effort to fix it, so we started working at home and then around town. Today we went to Petco, I expected a very distracted dog pulling on the leash. Instead I got this. :D

[YOUTUBE]2xF5fFzO3EI[/YOUTUBE]

Members online

No members online now.