Two dogs = twice the work?

elegy

overdogged
i don't know if it's *twice* but it's still a significant amount more. i think a lot depends on you and on the individual dogs involved.

a big part of the reason why i got mushroom was so that luce'd have a playmate to help her get enough exercise. HA! they'll play biteyface in the house, but exercise each other outside?? you've got to be kidding! they totally ignore each other outside unless i instigate games of tug or something between them. so as far as exercising, yes, it is twice as much work with my two.

and also, if you end up with multiple dogs with health issues at the same time, it can be really expensive and tremendously stressful.

Island dog

if everyone in the family isn't 100% SOLD on the idea of another dog then don't do it. It's not fair to that family member or the dog. Peace in the home is more important than a playmate for your dog. If your wife isn't comfortable then put her needs first.
This is the most important consideration.

StevePax

A guy with a dog
Thanks for all the advice! Given the evidence, I've decided (at least for now) to forget about getting another dog. We like Leo, he's sticking around, but he's going to be an "only dog" for a while.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Steve? In the future when you are sure you're ready to add on to your family, try fostering. :) Then you at least get a taste of what it's like.. and who knows, your foster may "fail"... ;)

darkchild16

We are Home.
i cant believe I didnt think of that suggestion Nolu. *smacks forehead* and if you dont like the idea of fostering random young dogs you can always try a greyhound group near you or a senior dog group.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
To be honest.... we were a little apprehensive about getting a second dog just because "it would be double the work" BUT... while it is double the bathroom breaks, double feeding, double training etc etc. They also spend more time together entertaining themselves too so they aren't as in our face as they were before. so in a way it is more work and in a way it is less work... so I think it kind of balances out.

I am a stay at home mom too although my little one isn't mobile yet lol... but I have no problem taking care of Hannah and our two big dogs during the day. When I need to do Hannah things... they play with each other and entertain themselves... tire themselves out and take a nap. they have learned that daytime is a more mellow time. I try not to get them wound up during the day and they seem to have fallen into that routine nicely. they are mellow, quiet (even when playing) and laid back during the day. In the evening when my husband comes home... all h#ll breaks loose lol. THAT is play time, attention time, feeding time, etc etc. then there is two of us to play with and we can each spend time with one dog each and then switch... so they still get their alone time attention etc etc.

so they seem to know that if they want to be high maintenance... they have to wait till hubby gets home lol. so really it isn't that much more work.

Paige

Let it be
I have found it easier having more than one dog. When I just had Spanky he was terrible. Then Bandit strolled along and his separation anxiety was cured. When it comes to things like training, expenses yes it is but if you have a bit of extra time and the money then I don't see why it would be.

Or you could get a dog like my Miley. Six months old and already a perfect dog. She is just the most chill animal I have ever met but also has a lot of go and can handle keeping up with the big boys. Wonderful little thing.

saffie

I want to add: since I own two dogs I doubt if I ever will own just one dog again. They are great together, and allthough they love me more (of course :D ), the interaction between them is great.
Of course, that all depends on how the dogs get along. I have a male and a female and they are more of a couple and they never fight. I have no idea who of the two is boss.
I always say Boy puts up with everyting Saffie does because he hopes she will get in heat soon and he will finally be rewarded for all his gentleman behaviour. Unfortunately for him that will never happen :D
I don't know if that's true, it's just a joke I always make. I do know that both Saffie and Boy always get along better with the other sex and I think I will always want a male-female combination in the future.

shazbot

not so newby
I have 3, it's been a long time since I've only had one dog. I don't look at having 3 as having 3 times more to do, I have 3 times more love ;) The only major thing I have noticed about having more than one dog is that I go through food faster and have to pick up more poop...lol...

Members online