Grooming a Cat?

StillandSilent

We have a lovely 5 yr. old persian cat. He has a nice coat, however, the fur on his stomach is very wooly and mats horribly, even with us brushing him every day. We would like to put him in a lion cut, but are not really sure how to do it. Does anyone have any tips for grooming him? Every professional we talked to either refused to do a cat or wanted to totally sedate him for the procedure. I won't have my baby knocked unconsious for a cosmetic procedure. He is declawed in the front, but I know he can squirm and kick with those back feet. Does anyone have any tips to make this as easy as possible on all of us? Any help is appreciated.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
If you look hard enough, you will find a good groomer willing to do it. At my old job we had just such a person and she was great at it. I think there's a Cat Groomer's Association website out there.

Cats are notoriously hard to groom, unless they've been conditioned to it from kittenhood. If you must do it yourself, I would use two people. One to scruff and hold and one to clip.

J's crew

StillandSilent said:
We have a lovely 5 yr. old persian cat. He has a nice coat, however, the fur on his stomach is very wooly and mats horribly, even with us brushing him every day. We would like to put him in a lion cut, but are not really sure how to do it. Does anyone have any tips for grooming him? Every professional we talked to either refused to do a cat or wanted to totally sedate him for the procedure. I won't have my baby knocked unconsious for a cosmetic procedure. He is declawed in the front, but I know he can squirm and kick with those back feet. Does anyone have any tips to make this as easy as possible on all of us? Any help is appreciated.
Wellllll, if you find out let me know! :)

I have a long haired cat that I give a lion cut every couple of months. It takes about 2 hours and both myself and my husband. We take turns, one will hold the cat while the other shaves with clippers and vise versa. We end up with hair everywhere and not the best looking lion cut. My cat is also declawed in the front but the back ones sure can get ya! I swear everytime I do it I will never again but it helps so much with matting and shedding. The city I use to live in did it everywhere but I can't find anywhere at all now.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Check with local pet stores like Petsmart or even small pet groomers. The woman who is the manager of our Petsmart is certified to work on cats (no one else in the store is). Her daughter is now working at a small pet groomer and the lady their is also certified for cat grooming.

Members online

No members online now.