Hypothetical next breed!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Megan, either, really. Depending on living situation. But you are ABSOLUTELY more than welcome to find me a breeder. Cause I am lazy and you are insane with that stuff.

Adrianne, I realize they are high high high energy, and I think if I can instill an off-switch young (I should be a freaking pro at Protocol for Relaxation by the time I'm done with Frodo :p) or rescue one that settles well in the house, that I would have a blast with lots of energy.

And I've never heard one scream, lol. The ones I have met are silent even when their tails go a million miles an hour cause they want to meet you SOOO bad. We see probably 5-6 brittanys in my store a week, and I have yet to meet one that I really didn't like.

Saeleofu

I think a Smooth or Rough Collie would work very well with all of your needs!
Except for the whole quiet dog part ;) Sure, you can teach them to be quiet, and that's probably easier when you get a puppy, but they don't come that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0D62UDlUgk

That being said, Logan IS perfectly quiet when we go to a hotel, and I would be comfortable living in an apartment with him.

They also may or may not be ball/water dogs. Logan really doesn't give two shits about balls. Fox tail? OH YES. Ball? Meh. He'll play in the hose/sprinkler and wade in the river, but that's as far as his water-loving tendencies go.

Doberluv

I like many of the same qualities you like in a dog. I want a healthier breed too. Check out these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=0xPOgX1Tn2s

The only hassle would be the grooming. But I think they look like lovely dogs...a very old breed and foundation of all water dogs or at least, most all water dogs, including, but not limited to Goldens and Poodles.

Aleron

I like many of the same qualities you like in a dog. I want a healthier breed too. Check out these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=0xPOgX1Tn2s

The only hassle would be the grooming. But I think they look like lovely dogs...a very old breed and foundation of all water dogs or at least, most all water dogs, including, but not limited to Goldens and Poodles.
These dogs like PWDs can tend towards some...umm...temperament weirdness especially concerning strangers, strange environments, noise/storms. I'm not saying they can't be great dogs or that all will have issues, just that they are one of those "really, really needs proper early socialization" type breeds from what I understand.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Yeah I met a LR once and it was VERYanxious and didn't let anyone get near him, it was really sad :(

I was set on a PWD for a long time a few years ago until I started reading more and more about all of their temperament issues.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Except for the whole quiet dog part ;) Sure, you can teach them to be quiet, and that's probably easier when you get a puppy, but they don't come that way.
I haven't met an obnoxiously vocal Collie! Maybe I'm just lucky... but the ones I know will get vocal while playing, but otherwise they're quiet. Definitely nothing compared to 99% of the Corgis I know.

I second that Brittanys DEFINITELY are screamers! I've never heard anything so annoying. My boss's dog isn't even from a working breeder, just a crappy pet breeder, but that dog is a crazed terror. Chasing other dogs, screaming, snapping, she has ruined the breed for me.

Aleron

Yeah I met a LR once and it was VERYanxious and didn't let anyone get near him, it was really sad :(

I was set on a PWD for a long time a few years ago until I started reading more and more about all of their temperament issues.
I have spent a lot of time for many years around PWDs. They are fun dogs, very amusing and really attached to their people and needy. They are not quiet dogs at all, I think loud is in their breed standard LOL Over the years they seem to have become increasingly prone to temperament issues involving phobias and fearfulness. It is still possible to find good ones even good ones, the breed still needs a lot of socialization. And they are prone to being rather destructive as youngsters if they feel you aren't entertaining them enough. There are a lot of health concerns in the breed too and a lot of breeders with some rather...weird ideas LOL I enjoy them as extended doggy family though :)

I second that Brittanys DEFINITELY are screamers! I've never heard anything so annoying. My boss's dog isn't even from a working breeder, just a crappy pet breeder, but that dog is a crazed terror. Chasing other dogs, screaming, snapping, she has ruined the breed for me.
Doesn't sound like she is a good or typical dog of the breed to me. Probably best not to write a whole breed off because of one bad example.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I am just curious but how do Chessies and Curlies stack up to the other retrievers health wise? I know Flatcoats and Goldens have some pretty terrible cancer rates.

BostonBanker

I haven't met an obnoxiously vocal Collie! Maybe I'm just lucky... but the ones I know will get vocal while playing, but otherwise they're quiet. Definitely nothing compared to 99% of the Corgis I know.
Ugh, I used to house sit for two, and they were terrible. Their only saving grace was that their barks weren't very loud. But they were non-stop.

Funny story - they lived in the town where I did Animal Control. I once got a complaint about their barking - while I was house-sitting. Whoops.

Doberluv

These dogs like PWDs can tend towards some...umm...temperament weirdness especially concerning strangers, strange environments, noise/storms. I'm not saying they can't be great dogs or that all will have issues, just that they are one of those "really, really needs proper early socialization" type breeds from what I understand.
It's too bad. Like most breeds, there are breeders who are less than stellar. I think you have to go to Italy to get one from an old timer breeder. I don't know...that would be awful. It's like all dogs, you really have to be careful where you get them. It's amazing to me too, how so many Golden retrievers and Labs are showing up with poor temperaments and so forth. They use to be such lovely dogs. Well, they still are IF from well bred stock. My own Lab and Lab mix I had years ago were wonderful examples of Labradors.

Okay, well...back to the drawing board. What about a well bred Chihuahua? They're wonderful companions. My two aren't well bred...they're both from a back yard breeder. But I lucked out. They both have wonderful temperaments. And boy, can they hike! Well, Chulita can't anymore. Her old age has brought about some problems. But they use to keep right up with my Lab and Doberman on looooong hikes.

But maybe you don't want such a small dog.

Aleron

It's too bad. Like most breeds, there are breeders who are less than stellar. I think you have to go to Italy to get one from an old timer breeder. I don't know...that would be awful. It's like all dogs, you really have to be careful where you get them. It's amazing to me too, how so many Golden retrievers and Labs are showing up with poor temperaments and so forth. They use to be such lovely dogs. Well, they still are IF from well bred stock. My own Lab and Lab mix I had years ago were wonderful examples of Labradors.
I don't know the LRs as well as PWDs but with PWDs, the gene pool is so small that even if you are very careful about picking a breeder it's hard to avoid all of the potential issues. There's not many breeders you could really call "BYBs", it's extremely different from Labs or Goldens or other popular breeds. PWD breeders have been extremely proactive with health testing and PWDCA is constantly funding research as new health issues come up to craete genetic tests. Nearly all of the breeders are involved in PWDs are active in showing and/or doing other stuff with their dogs. PWD breeders tend to be very protective of the breed, almost to a fault really.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Adrianne, I realize they are high high high energy, and I think if I can instill an off-switch young (I should be a freaking pro at Protocol for Relaxation by the time I'm done with Frodo :p) or rescue one that settles well in the house, that I would have a blast with lots of energy.
If you can handle that kind of energy, you might really like a wirehaired pointing griffon. They are the ultimate stamina champions of crazy jumping/running/diving repeatedly into the ocean to retrieve crap for hours, and they even have an off switch.

At least Charlie was like that. He was pretty barky too, but so are most sporting dogs. With any barky dog one on one training will go a long way to teaching them to be quiet.

They have incredibly great health too. Joint problems, epilepsy, cancer, etc. are VERY rare in the breed. Pretty much all the breeders are rabid about health testing and working their dogs too.

Doberluv

I don't know the LRs as well as PWDs but with PWDs, the gene pool is so small that even if you are very careful about picking a breeder it's hard to avoid all of the potential issues. There's not many breeders you could really call "BYBs", it's extremely different from Labs or Goldens or other popular breeds. PWD breeders have been extremely proactive with health testing and PWDCA is constantly funding research as new health issues come up to craete genetic tests. Nearly all of the breeders are involved in PWDs are active in showing and/or doing other stuff with their dogs. PWD breeders tend to be very protective of the breed, almost to a fault really.
I really like PWD's. It sounds very good how the breeders are being so proactive and diligent.

The Lagotto has a very small gene pool, as the breed was almost extinct for a while and fairly recently. So, I can see how that can be problematic.

Being quite appealing to me, I thought my next dog (IF there is another dog) would quite possibly be a Lagotto. Now, I think they would have too much energy for me and their joy of digging would not be fitting, as I really love gardening. lol.

Fortunately, there are so many breeds, there simply must be one that will suit PW to a T.

Aleron

I really like PWD's. It sounds very good how the breeders are being so proactive and diligent.
Well yes and no. PWDs were nearly extinct at a point as well, there were basically two main lines of them left. When one of their early genetic tests became available for a fatal disease that killed affected dogs in puppyhood, breeders quickly removed all carriers from the gene pool. This pretty much eliminated the disease but also one of the two remaining lines, as most of the carrier were from the same background. This is where being proactive and diligent can become a problem. It quickly became considered unethical to breed carriers of this disease and it was considered victory for the breed's health. But...the breed on a whole is much less healthy than they were then. now decades later, been ever increasing health issues popping up in the breed with some problems becoming extremely widespread. They traded one problem for many more problems, all harder to manage than the initial issue. A similar thing happened in Basenjis with their first genetic test but luckily, there is an unregistered population of the breed in their native land which could be brought into the modern gene pool. PWDs aren't so lucky.

This talks about the issue with Basenjis, pretty interesting article: http://www.ashgi.org/articles/breeding_bad_genes.htm

Doberluv

Yes, the carriers, if they're good in most every way should be used as long as they're bred with a clear...at least until there is more to breed from and if that doesn't produce affected. Maybe that depends on the disease. It sure does eliminate diversity by zeroing in one just one illness or health issue.

Members online