Bad homesick.. Then I see THIS! If you like old homes, check it out

LauraLeigh

How cool is this place?

I get homesick and I hit the real estate sites..... The area is seriously depressed sadly, and these old beauties are getting neglected and being given away... I mean this is a gorgeous century home that you could throw a rock into the ocean from!! For $54,900!! And it's in need of updates but not run down badly...

Pictures:

Link:

http://therealestatestore.ca/property-details.aspx?id=1618

Why do I torture myself?

K

Kaydee

LOVE it, absolutely love it...sometime if it's just me, hubby, dog and cats we wouldn't need lots of rooms or land, but the old woodwork, stained glass, tin ceilings, so beautiful!!!!

Locke

Terrible shame. Especially when a couple thousand km away, condos that are about 500 square feet are being sold for $300,000+.

That house is worth soo much more...doesn't make sense to me.

LauraLeigh

It breaks my heart when I go home and see the ones that have fallen into disrepair... They were so grand in their day, and now no one's looked after them or could afford to look after them and they're mostly being torn down now... If I win a big lottery I'd snap up a bunch of them fix them up and I don't know what I do with them... something to preserve them

K

Kaydee

My cousin and his wife did that awhile ago. The bought a big Victorian in PA at a bargain. Matched the original wallpaper, woodwork, even duplicated the roof slates, modernized the heating system and new plumbing...did an incredible job in the end.

My current house is older (1865) but I like the location of this one much better :) Plus, 7 bedrooms and a bit more land....AND close to the ocean!!!!!!!!!!!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Wow that is so cheap. You can't buy a shack in California for $50k.

Maybe it's haunted? o_O it looks haunted, to me. lolz! I like the looks of old victorians but I'm paranoid that they're haunted. I hate creaky, old smelling houses.

GipsyQueen

I Love houses like that! :) Even if the do need ALOT of work and updates.

Maybe it's haunted? o_O it looks haunted, to me. lolz! I like the looks of old victorians but I'm paranoid that they're haunted. I hate creaky, old smelling houses.
Nah, it just needs alot of work. If I saw correctly roof wasn't really isolated. :yikes: I doubt there was much isolation if any. ^^ It'd probs need new windows and stuff like that =/

I love homes that are made out of pure stained wood with no paint. They look really nice after they've aged a few years too.

i love old homes, i like working on them, I like looking at them. That said, if it has fallen into disrepair, and even ones that have been fairly well maintained, they usually cost a lot more than your average home to maintain. Just your normal things like heating and cooling are often very much more and most people don't have huge families anymore.

a seven bedroom house, while nice, usually results in a lot of rooms being used for "storage" for a 3 member family. Toss in some problems with electrical, structural, foundational? Replacing windows in a home like that could easily result in a bill more than the original purchase price.

They dont' have duct work for modern conveniences like AC and a lot of times their old radiant heating systems need repair, which involves rippout out ceilings, walls and flooring to replace and repair. I'd hate to have to insulate that place and once you start digging in homes that are even 20 years old you find other problems that need to be addressed. Digging in 100 year old homes brings a lot more surprises. Many of them still have asbestos wrapped pipes you have to deal with.

But if you have the money, they are big, they are grand and certainly unique.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I don't think I can practice in Canada, but wow, is that ever cheap. The place looks beautiful.

Members online

No members online now.