My Saint!!

nramirez

Hello everyone...my name is Nichole and we have an 8 month old Saint Bernard. He is a lovebug but there is nothing about the word potty training that my dog understands. He has not been nuetered yet...and he goes EVERYWHERE in our house. My husband, our son (7), our daughter (4), and myself are the only ones that live here. Sometimes he will come get me to go potty outside, and does, sometimes he doesn't...everytime I walk upstairs, REGARDLESS of if I just took him out, there wonderful spots for me to clean up EVERYDAY!! I am sooooo lost on what to do. We have had Saints before and never had this problem. He is very hyper and we don't get to take him for walks anymore because of the weather. We have a pretty big house that he runs around in ALL THE TIME!! We do spend quality time with him and play with him. I have tried being sweet and nice about it, I have tried being mean about it.....some days are good and some are not. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Saintgirl

Herschel's link is wonderful!!!

This is far from the first time that I have heard that Saints can be difficult to house break. Remember that he is still very much a puppy, albeit a big pup. Also remeber that a tired puppy is a good puppy, and running around your house will not burn off the energy that you want him to burn off. He needs to be able to get out for daily walks, if you are unable to do it then look into hiring a walker. He won't mind the cold one bit, afterall he is a Saint and the winter is his element. As for it being cold and miserable for you, I feel your pain, but invest in a good pair of gloves and a hat!

Patience, persistance, and routine will work best with him. Also, taking him on short walks will actually stimulate his body to have a BM, leaving this outside instead of inside you to pick up. Make sure that you are cleaning his 'spots' in the house with an enzymatic cleaner to remove all evidence that he has gone in that spot before. If he can smell that he has gone in that spot in the past he will think he should again.

BTW, I would love to see a pic of your fella, as you might be able to guess I am kind of partial to the breed!!!

Members online