loose stool, but only on walks

I'm not really sure what is going on here with Hudson, because it only happens when we are out and about on walks.

1st time it happened was last weekend. We went out for a walk on one of the trails. He stopped shortly after we started out walk, squatted and had a normal bowel movement. We walked another 5 minutes (if that) and he stopped again, this time it was fairly normal but seemed kind of slimey-mucusy. Out next stop& squat it was very loose and by the end of the walk it was straight liquid. Later that day at home, totally normal.

2nd time was middle of the week, same thing, starts out normal, but quickly goes to liquid.

3rd was today and same thing, but progressed quicker Started normal, but by the second time, total runs.

These have all been different trails, different times of the day, no correlation that i can see, except being out on walks. His poop is totally normal at home, even if it is during our walks around the property.

Any ideas?

Excitement poop!

Traveler and my parents dog have always had those when we go for off leash hikes.

Grrrr, jerk. Doesn't he know that this limits our walking options? And some times hit means hit butt has to be hosed off. I say again, jerk.

Glad to hear he falls into good company

Jerk. Please tell me he'll grow out of it.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Yup happens to Juno. Little embarrassing when she does it at the dog park, I feel like I need to announce to people she's not this disgusting all the time, and no she's not diseased. :lol-sign:

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
This is a phenomenon in doggy daycare, for the record. It's common...and horrible. :eek:

BostonBanker

My dogs never progress to straight liquid, but both tend to have multiple very soft stools on long off-leash hikes. I think I heard somewhere that it is a normal reaction to extra excitement and activity - predators "emptying" themselves prior to hunts or something.

After thinking long and hard on this, i know why he does it. Dad gave him the nickname of Little Sh1t over Christmas. Hudson is just trying to live up to it

JacksonsMom

Ugh, been dealing with this issue with Jackson FOREVER.

I've tried different foods (even went with a variety of Royal Canin, to see if it the 'grainfree, higher protein' type foods were the problem), I've given him digestive chews with probiotics in it, to try and help it. Eliminated all chews (bully's, etc) to see if that was the problem. Nothing really matters.

He will always poop at least twice on a long hike or dog park visit and usually is super soft. It's not usually liquid poo, but wayyy softer than usual.

I really wish I could figure it out, because having to bring 3-4 poop bags for one dog is kinda ridiculous and by the 2nd or 3rd poop, it's not really 'pick-up-able' so just ugh. I have not tried a powder-type probiotic yet (I was just giving him those 'Get Naked' digestive chews, that say they have them in them...) but I was considering trying that as a last step, sprinkling some probiotics on his food, but am not sure if that should be an every day thing or not?

It has to just be excitement, new smells type thing. Because he can run ALL day long, swim all day, and get way more exercise than a 3 mile walk at my dads house and he just has normal poops. And if we stay at home for the day and don't do much, it's just a normal poop in the AM and one more in late afternoon.

JacksonsMom

Yup happens to Juno. Little embarrassing when she does it at the dog park, I feel like I need to announce to people she's not this disgusting all the time, and no she's not diseased. :lol-sign:
:rofl1: I do this too!

Weird thing is, though, I never really see any other dogs doing this, so it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. Really wish I could get it figured out. :rolleyes:

Xandra

Yeah, it's probably my least favorite part of owning a dog. Especially when it happens on a sidewalk. Or in view of other people. I usually take out the bag just to let people know I have good intentions, but there comes a point when there isn't much you can do. I'm not a big product person, but if anyone knows of a product that fixes this please let me know.

Gypsydals

Add Ivan to the excitement pooping category too. I haven't been able to get him to stop.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Add Rory to the list. He's the only one out of our dogs who does it. It doesn't matter where we go or what we do- he'll have loose poop at least a couple of times on walks and hikes!

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I'm super curious... do any of you seem to notice this is more prevalent in intact males vs. neutered males and females of all sexual statuses? I've noticed a minor but still observable trend in daycare.

Of course, there are certainly dogs of all sexes, with parts or not, that do it, but it seemed to happen more frequently with intact males.

Toller_08

I'm super curious... do any of you seem to notice this is more prevalent in intact males vs. neutered males and females of all sexual statuses? I've noticed a minor but still observable trend in daycare.

Of course, there are certainly dogs of all sexes, with parts or not, that do it, but it seemed to happen more frequently with intact males.
It seems way, way, way more common among intact males among the dogs I know. And Ripley was far worse about it before he was neutered.

But yeah, it seems a very normal occurence and nothing I'd worry about at all. It's annoying, but it's normal. Ripley's the worst about it among my crew, but they've all done it. And I find the more prone to marking a dog is, the more they get loose stool on a walk... but no idea if that's true or just an observation. It seems like when they run out of urine to mark with they resort to just squirting poop on everything, as gross as that sounds LOL.

This did start about a week or two (or three) after he really started to lift is leg and mark everything.

I threatened to shave his butt today after our walk because.....ewwww

JacksonsMom

I was AMAZED today on our hike with Cricket and Joey... he pooped ONCE before we were even on the trail and it was a solid normal poop and he didnt poop again for the whole walk!! Brand new trails and everything, so definitely excitement going on.

The only thing different is I've been giving him the new Cloud Star Dynamo Dog 'Tummy' treats (half a day for his size). I started probably four days ago? MAYBE just maybe it made a difference, I don't know.... I'll have to see next walk.

Pops2

This is totally normal. Dogs (& people too) run better with empty bowels. It also makes room for anything in the stomach to move down into the gut so no vomiting or torsion. Most dogs will or should do it.
ETA Sonic does it for any activity. Olive is more "anal retentive" but will eventually do it on a run or hunt.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.

I don't know, Juno has a sensitive stomach in general so I've always attributed this to just being a side effect of that. And she's not an intact male lol.

Actually with her diet seems to help. Since she's been on sojos it hasn't been an issue.

stafinois

Professional Nerd
This is normal life with Stan as it was with Harry. Not just walks. Life is just SO FREAKNG EXCITING when you are a Malinois.

Members online

No members online now.