Seasonal allergies/skin issues

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Okay so it's about Buddy, but I'm sure there are people that have answers for the poor kitty.

Every fall Buddy goes through the same skin issue. He gets patches on his back that start off a bit oozy (like a hot spot), then after about a day it turns into a dry patchy itchy spot.

I've tried a few different natural creams or sprays over the years with various results, but the only thing I can't seem to remember is to head it off at the pass and try to prevent it before it happens. Since it only happens for about a month or so, around the same time every year, I tend to just forget about it until it happens again.

It doesn't bother him very much, other than a bit of extra grooming because it gets itchy. If he has a spot that's just out of his own reach, he gets very very happy if you groom/pet him to relieve the itch.

Anyone have a suggestion I could try to give him some relief?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I would talk to your vet. I think you can give Benedryl but don't do this without finding out from a vet for sure.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
After asking about Frodo's seasonal allergies and being told coconut oil would help, you could try that. I know one of my co-worker's is crazy about coconut oil and giving it to her cat (crazy in a positive way :p). I know you can give it to them 1 tablespoon per 25 pounds per day orally, and then you can rub it on hot spots.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
As good as my vet is, I have a feeling they'll just tell me to put him on steroids, which is not an option. There's a great vet in the area that I've been considering trying that this might be just the thing to try her out with though.

Coconut Oil = <3
I know how great that stuff is, I can't believe I hadn't considered it. I don't know if he'll take it orally, but it's certainly worth a try topically even if I can't get it into him!

Thanks guys :)

Members online

No members online now.