Best way to keep dogs from running loose?

I have two dogs: half golden retriever, half german shepherd. The problem is, they started digging out of the fence. I buried concrete near the places they were digging, and that help, but now they've started jumping the fence. It's a 4ft chain link fence. So.....I installed one of those underground electronic fences, and it worked very well.....for about 7 or 8 months. The dogs finally realized that all they have to do is pass the barrier, get shocked once, and then they're on their way.
So, right now I have them both tied up with 20ft cable. I hate doing it, but that's the only way to keep them up. I plan on installing a 5ft chain link fence some time within the next year, but is there anything I can do for now, aside from tying them up?

elegy

overdogged
supervise them when they're outside and teach them both a reliable recall.

mojozen

bullie lover
Go at least 6' or higher. Your dogs sound big... the other thing to do is to build a wood fence that is smooth on the inside. That way they can't climb it if they became determined enough...

Also, are you leaving them out unsupervised? Are they neutered/spayed?

D

Dobiegurl

When my dog is outside by himself he is tethered to a 20ft chain and i have never thought twice about that. When I let him run free in the backyard I ALWAYS supervise him and make sure that he doesn't think about jumping over the fence.

They're both neutered/spayed. And yes, they're both left outside unsupervised, but they're always on the chains when we're not able to watch them. But we both work, and I hate to keep them chained up for 8-10 hours a day, and even when we are home, we can't spend every bit of our time in the backyard. I try to take them walking every day, and I always spend time with them every day. During the spring/fall months, I'll leave the backdoor open, so they can come inside if they want. But, with summer and mosquito season coming up, the back door will have to be shut. They're really too big to be inside, and they shed A LOT.

And as for teaching them a reliable recall, that would be extremely difficult. They're both EXTREMELY hyper and somewhat stubborn.

Training is an absolute must.

Why can't your two dogs just be inside? It's not fair for them to both be chained up, not to mention how unsafe it it.

my dog isnt on the chain, once we tought her to come straight away shes fine. before she was great at getting away, luckly all thats behind us is fields, lol

They can't stay inside because they're way too big and way too active. Plus, they'd rather be outside the majority of the time.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
And as for teaching them a reliable recall, that would be extremely difficult. They're both EXTREMELY hyper and somewhat stubborn
Thats not an excuse. Even my BEAGLE is learning a recall even why she ison a sent. It just takes work.

I dont like chain link. Get a wood fence. Even a small dog can climb a 6 foot fence and I doupt yours would think much of doing it as well. Get a solid wood fence at LEAST 6 feet high

They're really too big to be inside, and they shed A LOT.
Why did you get them then?! All dogs shed. Put them inside and deal with the shedding. Confine them to one or two rooms if you want or kennel them. It is so much safer than tieing them up outside. Expessially two. Thatsjust asking for something to happen

mojozen

bullie lover
It sounds to me like your dogs are effin' bored which is why they are leaving their yard. They need to be trained... take them to class. And get them involved in something that will help to burn their energy like agility, flyball or even herding.

JennSLK said:
Thats not an excuse. Even my BEAGLE is learning a recall even why she ison a sent. It just takes work.

I dont like chain link. Get a wood fence. Even a small dog can climb a 6 foot fence and I doupt yours would think much of doing it as well. Get a solid wood fence at LEAST 6 feet high

Why did you get them then?! All dogs shed. Put them inside and deal with the shedding. Confine them to one or two rooms if you want or kennel them. It is so much safer than tieing them up outside. Expessially two. Thatsjust asking for something to happen
Maybe you didn't read what I wrote? I said that they'd rather be outside anyway.
"It is so much safer than tieing them up outside. Expessially two. Thatsjust asking for something to happen"
Ok, and what will happen?

Julie

I am back again.
I agree with not getting a 5 ft chainlink fence. Even the smallest dogs can learn to climb right out. Not much difference between 4 and 5.
A six foot privacy fence that is flat on the inside would be your best bet. Alot harder to jump that than climb up the holes in a chainlink.

Alot of the times dogs seem hyper because they are bored, or not shown enough attention. When they get what they need they calm down a great deal.:)

rottnpagan

Rottweiler Queen
cardinalfanUSA said:
"It is so much safer than tieing them up outside. Expessially two. Thatsjust asking for something to happen"
Ok, and what will happen?
Well for one, if a dog is tied up alot, it can lead to territorial aggression/leash frustration. For two, it does nothing to prevent another dog/animal from gaining access to your dogs, and harming them. For three, MANY a dog has been poisoned while left in the backyard. (I've a friend who lost two dogs that way. She didn't think anyone would bother the dogs... she was wrong, and it haunts her to this day.)

Here's some more information:

Members online