Agility training

krissy

Well I had a hula hoop as a kid that came apart in two halves so it would have worked. I don't know if the still make any like that though. They're simple enough to saw in half though.

But to be honest I thought you were talking about something more like a tire jump, which is why I suggested the hula hoop.

BostonBanker

Well that was a waste of a hotel room. Next time I should just listen to my gut.

Gusto was super stressed out by the trial this weekend. I think it is a footing issue, and a ton of other dogs were having problems as well. We ran three classes last night, with a Q in the first class (his first time out at PIII jumpers), with each class progressively getting slower and most stressy. By the last class, I felt like I was pulling him around the course. I ran 1.5 classes with him this morning, and scratched the rest. I've worked too hard on his confidence to risk it. Meg ran her two classes (she has zero issues there, or really anywhere), but didn't cue; my errors because I haven't been running her lately and I tried to handle her like she's Gusto. She had a good time at least, and it makes me so happy she does.

I hate that I have over a month before my next trial. I will angst about Gusto until then.

k9krazee

Eep! I just filled out entries for four CPE trials & they're ready for the mail. We'll do one next weekend, then have a trial every other weekend through May 18th!

Well that was a waste of a hotel room. Next time I should just listen to my gut.

Gusto was super stressed out by the trial this weekend. I think it is a footing issue, and a ton of other dogs were having problems as well. We ran three classes last night, with a Q in the first class (his first time out at PIII jumpers), with each class progressively getting slower and most stressy. By the last class, I felt like I was pulling him around the course. I ran 1.5 classes with him this morning, and scratched the rest. I've worked too hard on his confidence to risk it. Meg ran her two classes (she has zero issues there, or really anywhere), but didn't cue; my errors because I haven't been running her lately and I tried to handle her like she's Gusto. She had a good time at least, and it makes me so happy she does.

I hate that I have over a month before my next trial. I will angst about Gusto until then.

Sorry it didn't go so well, BB :( I'm glad Meg was sound and happy though! I know you were worried about that. I'm sure Gusto will be better next time on more comfortable footing.

I'm nervous because two of the trials we're signing up for are in a place where we had one night of class and had a bad experience (he started limping and then a horse vet fondled him and he freaked out and snapped at her). Sooooo, I'm all stressed out because he has a memory of an elephant and is already nervous in new places to begin with. We'll see!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Georgie got her last leg for her standard title this weekend. My mom now has a nice big ribbon because Louisville spends money on nice showy New Title ribbons haha.

Unfortunately she was the only one with a Q all weekend, although Payton would have a standard leg and a jumpers leg both except for mistakes I made, although he would have both open titles if it weren't for him being a naughty. I did a really late cross on the teeter our first standard run and he was like "wait, what?" and came off the teeter because he thought he was wrong. In jumpers I did a front cross at a weird spot that I was fairly certain would result in a dropped bar, because he's very very sensitive to my shoulder positioning and I turned my shoulders just right and he knocked the bar. Both runs were quite lovely otherwise. The rest of the runs were so-so. I still can't guarantee he'll do his weaves, nor his contacts, at a trial. I think I'm going to have to start entering FAST so I can work weaves and contacts over and over in a trial environment. We need more fun runs, too, but those are few and far between here.

So... yeah. Georgie had a pretty great weekend really. She did all her weaves in both JWW and STD both days she was entered. P not so much on the great weekend, but I know my biggest problem with him is that in my head he is more experienced than he actually is. It will come with time, I know. I started singing "Got My Mind Set On You" on Saturday, hahaha.
Auggie, OTOH, took some time to warm up but by his last run on Saturday he was really feeling it. No dropped bars but his speed on Friday wasn't so good, but on Saturday he started picking it up and running really nicely. It's been a year and a half since he did any trialing so can't really be too shocked. I pulled him on Sunday because the small dogs weren't running until past 6PM, and I really didn't want to stay that late and get home at 10-11PM on Sunday, so boo.

Interesting weekend I guess. Relatively drama free compared to past Louisville trials where I end up sitting outside the ring crying (although I did tear up after running Auggie, but it was happy tears.)

xpaeanx

I got a personal recommendation of an agility trainer... So I met with her. I watched her class today and am starting her beginner course in April. VERY excited!!!

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Best seminar yet!! Love. So many nice things said about Penn. Learned how to run my dog much more connected. Something clicked for connection this time! Yay!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Oh god our trial is tomorrow and we have still not seen a hoop! :yikes:
FWIW, Siri picked up on the hoop after like...one time asking her to go through it. So even if you can grab one at the trial and ask them to go through it a couple of times, you might be good?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Imay try the houla hoop thing tonight. I *think* we won't have an issue as she goes through jumps with no bars all the time. Her general default if I point at something is to try to jump it or run through it.

Will the hoop have anything on the ground (like a bar?) or will it just be stuck in the ground? Since she's so short she notices things on the ground more versus the poles.

There's a fun run prior so maybe I should pay the $5 and try one of those? I don't want to wear her out too bad before the actual trial (little old dog can run out of steam sometimes)

xpaeanx

There's a fun run prior so maybe I should pay the $5 and try one of those? I don't want to wear her out too bad before the actual trial (little old dog can run out of steam sometimes)
If there is a fun run prior and you don't want to worry about wearing her out too much, maybe get there a bit earlier than the fun run and ask to borrow a few hoops for $5? and volunteer to help set up afterwards. :p Usually people like extra help.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
If there is a fun run prior and you don't want to worry about wearing her out too much, maybe get there a bit earlier than the fun run and ask to borrow a few hoops for $5? and volunteer to help set up afterwards. :p Usually people like extra help.
Or just pay the $5 and use your time to only work on the hoops rather than doing the rest of the course.

Members online

No members online now.