second dog?

When we wanted to adopt a dog from a shelter in Spain, we were advised by them to find out our dogs reaction from another dog visiting our property. We did, and we opted not to have another dog... That was just my experience, but Im sure it could work for you. We introduced a Rotti to our Boxer and they were best pals, but admittedly our Boxer was older than your pup. Good luck.

When I got my late Pit Mix, Gus, my 2 older dogs were introduced to him at the vet and they were allowed to get to know each other for over an hour, to the point all three of them were wiped out. Then we all got into the car, and went home, no problems. After my lab Joe got some sleep, he did a whole lot of glaring at Gus, but there weren't any actual attacks, just a lot of dirty looks and gulping when I said something to him about it. For the first 4 days, Joe barely tolerated him. My other dog barely seemed to know he was there. On the 5th day, at the vet's of all places, Joe suddenly started playing with Gus. They were very close, with no real problems, until a series of TIA's and strokes made Joe kind of lose his mind and attack him. When Gus was 6 months old, he was much stronger than Joe already, and when fully grown, at 75 pounds, Gus was actually very gentle when he finally defended himself. Joe couldn't seem to accept losing and went downhill overnight and we had to put him down.

I would do it now, just to keep their ages as close as possible.

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
Well, in my experience there is no problem with introducing another dog when the existing one is under a year. In fact, dogs from only dog households tend to have "single dog syndrome" which impacts on owners when their dog goes BERSERK at the sight of another of his kind.

Fran27

Yeah, I would guess that as they grow up they get used to being the only ones getting attention etc, so the earlier you get another, the easier it is. Like children, like cats, etc. I had NO problem with Boris. He saw Tips outside and ran to play with him (we introduced them in the front yard, where Boris never goes except during walks). Then we took them to the back yard, and he just wanted to play with him. He never showed any sign of jealousy or anything, but he was only 7 months, so he was thrilled to get someone else to play with, and I can't say it would have been so easy later on.

SandraC

Hi there.
I have 3 GSD's.
Lacey is now 12years. When she was 4 years old we got Merlin (he was 7 weeks)
The bonding was instant & they have always got on brilliantly.
When Lacey was 10 years and Merlin 6 years we got Morgan (7 weeks) Merlin went to bed for a while especially when the pup tried to suckle from him and Lacey thought whats this. Soon Merlin thought this little creature wasn't so bad and I have their 1st play time on video it was brilliant.
We kept the pup separate when we were out of the house for a little while but otherwise they were all together and touch wood we have never had a problem. They sleep, eat & play together and share everything. I couldn't wish for anything more.

Members online

No members online now.