Bamm is looking amazing

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I need to try and get a picture of him, though... you really can truly tell only if you feel him... but he's FINALLY really starting to put on some weight and his skin and coat feel wayyy amazing and soft.

He's been getting a 1/3 cup of Kirkland mixed with 1/3 cup of Innova in the morning. He gets roughly about a handful of Evo at some point during the day because I use EVO RM Small bites as training treats. Then in the evening he gets raw. Lately he's been on Satin balls to help him put on some weight. I usually put 1-2 small handfuls of the satin balls in a bowl with a little bit of canned pumpkin and occasionally some plain yogurt. Some nights he gets raw chicken thighs or backs. He actually does really well with the thighs. He eats it slow enough that I'm not worried about him not chewing and practically swallowing the bones whole. Cristy can vouch for his good raw eating skills lol. The first day I gave him a chicken he was unsure what to do with it, but he's really getting the hang of it.

Also... I'm adding some supplements to his dinners as well. I have the Digestive Enhancer from Natures Farmacy. That's to help out since I've been switching him to a more raw based diet. He also gets the Ultimate supplements from Natures Farmacy and the Gain and Shine which is really helping out with him gaining the weight he needs...

He's still a skinny dog and I think he's always going to be lean... but now he actually looks healthier and when you rub his belly you don't feel like you're rubbing an accordion when you run your hands on rib cage area. You can barely see his ribs but can still slightly feel them which is how I like them.

Anyways... wanted to brag on him a little bit because I'm so happy that he's starting to look so much better. I eventually want to go to a complete full raw diet, but I don't have a chest freezer to buy in bulk so I'm just sticking with a partial raw diet for now.

I need to get some new pictures of him... like FAST :)

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
(drumming fingers on table waiting for pictures..... ) mutters- can not wait to see ...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I have been trying to find the satin ball recipe...can you share?
YOur a good mama.:)

bnwalker2

My house is a zoo
Pictures!!!! And I'd love to have the satin ball recipe again myself (used to have it saved on my computer, lost it). I think it would do wonders for these pups.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
sure. I'll find the link that I had. I think if you google Satin Balls it's the first link that pops up. I didn't use the unsulfured molasses though since I couldn't find it at my local store so I substituted that with honey instead.

Here's the recipe according to this site: http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

Satin Balls - The Original Recipe

The following recipe was sent to Wellpet by Diana Carreon, R.N.,C. It quickly became one of the most requested posts on Wellpet.

Ingredients

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw!
Doesn't sound the slightest bit appetizing... but... it's doing the trick and he's looking amazing. Plus, he loves it. I don't recommend it as a full diet... it's mainly used when you absolutely need a dog to gain weight, etc etc... in my case I have a lot of trouble putting weight on Bamm because he has such a super high metabolism... Satin Balls are proving amazing for him

Phoenixangelwyngs

Zookeeper Extraordinaire!
Borders tend to, in my experience, be super extra crazy thin with a high metabolism until about five or six... I don't know how old Bamm is.... but yeah. He's preeety... i lurves hum.

Members online