Snake Species

~Tucker&Me~

Okay, I have researched a lot... And have come to the conclusion that the best beginner snakes are:
Ball Python
Garter Snake
Ribbon Snake
Corn Snake
Milk Snake

Here are my requirements:
I need a snake that is somewhat easy to find, and not too expensive!!!
Docile, is fine with being handled and not too 'frisky'.
I would love a snake that could be happy to rest on my shoulder while I do dishes, clean my room etc.
I REALLY don't want to feed mice. At all. So I assume this takes away the Ball Python, Corn Snake and the Milk Snake...?
From what I have read, the Ribbon and Garter can live quite happily on insects.
My other concern, is size. I can afford to house this snake in a 20g. Nothing bigger. Is this okay?

My OTHER problem *L*, is when I catch Garters, they seem very active, as in not content being held, just want to GO GO GO!
Do they calm down, or will I never be able to hold one on my shoulders/neck while I walk around?

Where do I get a Garter from? I know they live around, do I just catch one? All they have in the petstore are Corn Snakes, and breeder snakes look real expensive :(.

Thanks for any help you can offer :).

~Tucker

Kay

I don't know much about snake species, I dont like them. (Not afraid of them, I can handle them and all I just dont like them. I like animals that have ability to create bonds with their humans, and snakes dont.)

I do know that most have to be fed pinkies (Which is another reason I dont like them.)

And the only ones that dont have to be tend not to be sold. I don't reccommend taking a snake out of it's natural habitat just to put it in a tank and keep it as a pet. It's not fair to the snake at all. You may want to try a snake forum, though, I know I read on one once someone asking about snakes that can live on bugs and what people said were there are none but some can live on feeder fish etc......You really should check out snake forums, there should be many extremely knowledgeable people on them.

Kathy29

I'm not a fan of snakes myself and know if I were *ever* to own one, I wouldn't want to feed mice either :X

I don't think taking a snake out of its natural habitat is a good idea on many many different levels. I own turtles and know for a fact that if you remove one from the wild, the vet would have to run tests and see if there are any diseases/parasites, etc. It takes weeks for them to settle in and be responsive enough to eat. I would think it to be the same with snakes. In my opinion, too much of a hassle - might as well use the vet money to buy a captive bred one.

Good luck! :)

~Tucker&Me~

Okay, thanks for the info :).
Actually Kay, apparently, many snake species do bond with their owner, and even get stressed when sold...

~Tucker

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
errr....every one of the snakes you mentioned has to eat mice/rats to get proper nutrition.. actully I think ever snake has to eat mice or rats..(FROZEN please! live mice/rats can really harm or even kill a snake!)

Out of those I would say your best bet would be a Corn Snake! They are very docile, very tame, and love people! I've had two before and am planning on getting a Red Tail Boa soon..:D

you should go to this site

www.redtailboa.net

there are GREAT people there that will be willing to help you pic out a snake and awnser any and all questions you have about them..(the site in the link isn't just for RTBs, but all reptiles in general)

anyways what ever you pick I wish you luck! :)

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
well I have owned both a garter and ribbon snake (both bought from petstores). Both of them never really calmed down and let me hold them I was constantly fighting to keep hold of them they were always wiggling. I'm pretty sure the corn or milk snake could live in a tank that size but the only corn snake I knew ate pinkies. Although the corn snake could have lived on goldfish it was a fairly small snake. They sell frozen mice and pinkies because feeding live isn't reccomended. So if it's just feeding live that bother's you you can always just buy frozen. I love ball pythons though and if I didn't have kids I would definetely have one. Mark's afraid of the python escaping and killing the kids or something (someone's watched too many killer snake movies I think). I find the pythons and boa constrictors to be quite calm once they get to know you and are very peaceful.

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
BALL PYTHONS?!!?! they can't eat a kid..lol they only get like 3-6 feet long...LOL! (now a burm python is a whole different story..:D) also full grown Corns can get about 6 feet long eating adult mice (or young rats, is what I perfer because they are better for them...just think about it like mice are the purina food in the snake world and rats are like innova or raw..lol)

juliefurry said:
I love ball pythons though and if I didn't have kids I would definetely have one. Mark's afraid of the python escaping and killing the kids or something (someone's watched too many killer snake movies I think). I find the pythons and boa constrictors to be quite calm once they get to know you and are very peaceful.
Ball Pythons cannot kill a human! They are small snakes, they don't exceed 5 or so feet. You must be thinking of Burmese Pythons. They can get like 12 feet long. But ball pythons? Is he seriously afraid that they will eat a kid? Sounds like he is just making ridiculous excuses because he don't like them or is afraid of them. Someone needs to inform him that there is no possible way one could eat a kid. Plus they are friendly, calm, relaxed little critters.

Members online

No members online now.