So I talked to an animal communicator....

xpaeanx

about why Muff doesn't eat.

She said his stomach hurts, and she thinks he may have a stress ulcer.

Apparently, he's afraid that he might not be allowed to stay and he needs some real reassurance that he can stay with me. There is also someone who has been "teasing" him lately and he would like them to stop.

My aunt's been here for the past week with her dog... and Muff isn't exactly his "biggest" fan... so I think that may be who is teasing him???

Anyway, she's making me a charm to put on his collar, I should bring him to the vet and tell them to give me carafate/sucralfate, and I need to reassure him that he can stay. She also said I should change his food to Premium Edge Skin & Coat.

Here are the ingredients to the food she recommended, what do you guys think:

Ingredients
Salmon, ocean fish meal (a source of fish oil), potatoes, peas, cracked pearled barley, millet, egg product, oatmeal, canola oil, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, kelp, carrots, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, chondroitin sulfate, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

oh, and I am going to make him a vet appt about the drugs... But do you guys know of any teas I can give him that will help his stomach???

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
You had me until you said she told you to give him a specific food... what's up with that? :confused:

Romy

Taxiderpy
Charlie has gastro issues and does best on fish based foods, so that's not too far fetched if she feels he has stomach problems. If you're not comfortable using it, there are other similar foods of a higher quality. As much as they are not the most premium for the price, dogs with gastro problems seem to do really well on Nature's Balance duck and potato, and fish and potato formulas. We've had really good luck with the TOTW pacific stream formula.

Personally I don't think the food she recommended sounded all that terrible. It's a little grain heavy for some dogs, but some dogs might thrive on it.

I don't like that it's "Ocean Fish Meal" as the main meat source. Not specific and way too vague. If it was "Salmon Meal" or Herring Meal" that would be one thing, but ocean fish meal this is like saying "Meat Meal"

Add that to the fact that it's both Peas and Potatoes I'm not too thrilled about that food.

I know Core has a fish formula and Evo just came out with one. Timberwolf aslo has one I beleive.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
That food is very grain heavy. :(

As for foods, if you're looking for fish based, there's TOTW and Nature's Variety are two off the top of my head that would be better.

Teas? I don't know. I've often used Ginger for tummy problems, I get it in a capsule and open it up and sprinkle the powder on a treat, or ideally I mix the ginger powder with some honey and they can lick that up off a plate.

Poor Muff. :( I hope he feels better soon.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
You can pick up some OTC antacids and they'll do about the same thing as the Rx from a vet.

I dunno about the food though...

Giny

Well, first of all, I'd make sure that is what is wrong with him with the vets before doing/changing anything.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I would love to talk with an animal communicator. In fact if i had my choice it would be that one in the video where they took the rescues on a dog trip of their dreams .I can't remember..please does anyone else I would love to see it again. 7 days for 7 dogs or something like that. I have questions, for both Pepper and Victor.

I hope the AC was right, i hope that a diet change brings relief for Muff. Vibes for feel betters.

xpaeanx

Honestly... I have no problem changing his food. because as it stands he hardly eats it anyway!

At this point I don't care what he's eating as long as he's eating!!! (ok that's not entirely true... I still wouldn't feed him something that's 100% corn like ol'roy).

And as far as the antacids... I don't think those really do anything bad... it's not like some drugs that work for a problem, but have all kinds of bad side effects so you wouldn't want to risk taking them if you don't have the problem. But regardless, these would be an rx from his vet or I would at least talk to his vet before getting over the counter ones.

ACooper

Wow! I don't know if I believe in Animal Communicators..... but I don't NOT believe either, LOL (I can't get that sentence to sound right!)

Anyway, I hope she's right about the tummy and teasing........I would try that food honestly, like you said, he doesn't eat now what could it hurt?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Premium Edge is not a bad food. There are others I would try first but I have nothing against PE. I forget, have you tried Cali Naturals with him? The simplicity of those formulas might be easy on his stomach.

What kind of charm is she making for him? One for his belly, or one for what seems to be a security issue..?

xpaeanx

Charm is for security. He's also pretty much afraid of everything.

So, I stopped by the feed store and read the back of every fish food they had. I was torn between totw and orijen. Totw has more of a limited formula, but orijen is more fish and less "other stuff." I decided to try oijen first.... We'll see...

cricketsmygirl

Angels in waiting....
Orijen is awesome food but a bit harsh on the wallet lol. I hope she is right and everything works out well for you and your pup!

xpaeanx

Oh yeah, beanie they only had cali nat chicken.... So I decided to skip it.

Oh and wellness has a "simple recipe" food that's advert as being for allergies.... First it's "whatever and rice" but the 1st ingredient is the rice! :yikes: I would have expected more from them!

Cricket: no kidding! The small bag(5.5lb) was $18 after tax!!! But if it works than I'm all for it!

xpaeanx

Merico, I'll pm you. But yes I paid.

So.... The food. I put a bit down and he ate it all up, and is now looking for more. But this is the first time he's been fed it so I'm not convinced. If he's still eating it by the end of the week we'll know. I'm tempted to put more down but if it is an ulcer that's not a good idea. I will give him some more tonight though.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
personally I wouldnt change good based on someone who "communicated" with my animal.

First, I would have vet tests done and see what we are dealing with.

However, switching to a different food if your dog has stomach issues is a good idea... I would change to something with 1 protein source like lamb or duck.

Have you tried Fromm or Eagle Packs Duck and Sweet potato lines?

Members online

No members online now.