Greetings!

My name is Renee. I'm an Irish red head and I live on an Angus farm in East Tennessee with my Irish red-head Charlie and our 3 year old male German Shepherd/wolf mix, Bimmer, our 4 1/2 month old female Fila Brasileiro, Shiva and our pet bull, Calypso, who thinks he's one of the dogs and consequently, won't have anything to do with the other cattle. We've bottle fed him since he was 3 days old. As I write this, I am being accompanied by the dulcet tones of Shiva snoring on the couch - sort of a buzz saw in the key of G-sharp. At some point, she'll wake herself up and look around accusingly to determine who made enough noise to disturb her slumber, prop her chin on the back of the couch and look out the window and grumble at an imaginery interloper, then flop back down and resume snoring . . . or hiccuping . . . or both. Bimmer, being the reasonable and intelligent creature he is, has retreated to the bedroom to sleep in peace.

I'll try to get some of him either with the end of this roll of film or with the next one. He is cute. He gets jealous if I pay attention to anyone but him while he's taking his bottles and turns his head away from the bottle until I baby talk him and scratch his jaws.

People who have known me for years would DIE if they saw me standing on the back porch bawling for him like his mother would. I can't believe it sometimes. I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area - you can't get any farther from a farm than that!

I thought my mother was going to have a coronary when I told her about feeding Buddy, the 2200 pound black Angus bull we had, from my hands. Buddy was a real sweetheart, truly a gentle giant. It was easy to forget just how dangerously strong he was. I saw him flip - literally - a full grown Charlois bull fifteen or twenty feet. Buddy was standing still and the Charlois charged him. Buddy just lowered his head, swung it around and caught the other bull behind the shoulder and FLIPPED HIM UP IN THE AIR! I've never seen anything like it. We have Buddy's son, Lucky, now. I doubt he'll be as big as Buddy, and he's not a big pet like Buddy was, but as he gets older he'll mellow out. We named him Lucky because he's lucky to be alive. During labor, evidently the coyotes almost got him. His mother had been attacked during labor and managed to get up and move closer to the herd and help and finish birthing him. It was such a close call; there were teeth marks on his hoofs where the coyotes had been at him before he was all the way out.

Louie

He sounds like a truly special animal. I can't wait to see his picture! Thank you for sharing his story with me :) I'm glad the little guy had a happy ending (whew!) Can't imagine what it would be like to enter the world with coyotes chomping at your feet/hooves!

Members online

No members online now.