have you ever...

ohmai

been attacked by a dog? Tell us your stories, if you wish.

- - I've been attacked by one of my own dogs. My father and uncle had brought home an adult GSD (male) home one day, from a farm. They don't know much about picking their dogs, so it's very likely they didn't even check how is temperament was. We also had a female GSD there with him, and they got along nicely.
So one day, my mom stopped at home to pick up some items, and told me to take the leash off of our girl (she's a climber), and so I went, but I hesitated and said I was afraid, because if my memory serves me right, I was actually attacked once before by the male GSD. I came in the backyard, via the stairway, and they were both looking at me. I came and took the leash off of our girl, while I was petting her. I straightened up to go back inside, but the male GSD had walked around me and as I was walking away, he took a bite of my bum :( . I was about.. only around 9-11 years old at the time too. So I stood their crying and shouting for my mom, who came and rescued me! I was bit twice on the bum, the first time didn't hurt as much though (I was laughing first, then started crying). I think the GSD was abused at the farm we got him from, because he'd be very shy around us, but when we turn around he'd try to take a bite out of us. And... he took a BIG bite off of my brother one time too, because my brother exposed his back to the dog, he chomped on his leg, and it was all bloody and icky after.
Obviously my parents knew better then to keep a dog who attacked their children twice.. so we had to give him away.
And there, is my story!

siemens716

yes. i was 5 and hitting teh dog with a stick. he didn't do anything so i got closer and started to hit him with the stick. he decided to bite me in teh eye, head, and arm. I was a bloody mess. I was unconscious.

My father took the dog to the pound and we never saw it again.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
that is precisely why i do not believe that any child should be left with a new dog unattended,.and especially at the age of 5. I have been attacked a few times..as a kennel worker it is par for the course. Once i required 20 some odd stitches in my hand, but that was for breaking up a fight that i reached into..once for taking a dead bird away from a labrador in the field, he replaced it with my bicep, thru the hand twice..once again breaking up fights..the only non participating bite on my part was when a dog bit me in the back of the calf. This dog had been grossly abused by a woman and no matter how i tried i could not befriend it..i had turned my back when leaving the dog's kennel and that was when she bit me..i should have backed out with the hose between her and me..my fault.

Once. By a killer Peke. Bloody little monster bit through my shoe when I was walking down the sidewalk. I wasn't all that worried about the Peke, but the Doberman started running down the hill toward me when the Peke bit me. The Dobe had a bad reputation; he used to come over to the apartments I lived in and go through the garbage and threaten anyone who tried to come out their front door. There wasn't anywhere for me to go, so I stood my ground and when he got close enough looked him in the eye and snarled my lip up and growled. Confused the bejeebers out of him, lol! He stopped, whimpered, and ran back to the porch.

What really po-ed me was the fact that the owners were sitting on the porch watching, doing nothing but laughing. They also had a HUGE yard with a 7 foot chain link fence, but let the dogs run loose . . .

Other than that, I've never had a problem, even when I'd go out surveying with my Dad. I'll never forget the day I was leaned up against a fence while he was taking a reading off the rod I was holding. I felt something tickle the side of my neck, turned around, and found myself looking crosseyed at the biggest Rottie head I'd ever seen. That tail started wagging and he licked me all over the face. :D

Yes, I was nipped by a dog before. It wasn't serious enough that I actually needed medical care and it was my fault and I knew it even then. I was also almost attacked by someone's chow chow and someone else's dog...looked like a shepherd/lab/aussie cattle dog.

Rose's Gal

I've never been attacked by a dog before, but I was chased by a Chihuahua. That thing was evil. lol When the bus would stop to drop us off and the Chi was out, it would come up to the foot of the bus and bark and bark and bark. If we tried to get off, it'd try to bite us. So my mom had to come down in the car and get us. lol
Also, when I was younger, my cousin and I were "playing" with their Great Paryness puppy (that was about the size of a Lab) by blowing in its face. The dog got fed up and tried to eat us. That was completly my fault and I feel so stupid about it now. The dog didn't hold grudges though, so all was well.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Oh yes
Whn i was 6 at a race i got too close to anouther dog of anouther team who wasent too friendly I did'nt know. And he jumped up and attacked me ripped up my face and arm. Luckily i have pretty much nothing left from the face attack but i do on my arm.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i do not believe any child of that age should be left unattended with ANY animal for the animal's safety as well. I don't know why at 5 you didn't know not to hit an animal with a stick, but 5 is capable of doing a number of painful things to a dog without realizing that the animal will retaliate. THat is why especially with a new dog an adult should always be present and abusive behavoir not tolerated. It was two 7 yr old boys that killed my first labrador puppy..he was 6 weeks old and they squeezed him to hard breaking his ribs into his lung. He died on the way to the er vet..i was out in the field working and my boss and the man's father let the two monsters in with the babies. I am sorry you were attacked seimen, that must have been terrible and marking for you at that age. Obviously you have gotten over any fear of dogs..i hope you parents helped you thru that, or that you were able to accomplish this on your own. There was a boy on the tv that had his face replaced after a dog attack. He tried to give the dog his piece of pizza, realized he had put it to far away for the animal on the chain and reached for it to move it closer. He was three. Adults have to realize that children and animals must be monitored at all times..as Seimen has pointed out..they had the dog for 5 years. Was this the first time it showed aggression? For an animal that had been in the family that long that is very strange and traggic for all. What kind of dog was it? Was it a house dog or yard dog?

GSDFan05

I don't know if these count as attacks, but I dodge bites daily because I work as a veterinary assistant. I've never been seriously bitten, on my first day I was taught all the 'right' ways to restrain an animal and to avoid being hurt.

It's interesting, the highest bite rates are from chihuahuas and daschunds, we have no Rotties and only a couple of pit bull clients that require muzzles on a regular basis.

The one incident I would count as an attack would be when a husky lunged out of a cage at me, I was taking him out for a walk and he acted fine, then when I put him back in the cage, as I was bending down to latch it he launched himself at the door, just out of reflexes I jumped back and braced my feet against the door, and he actually knocked a tooth out biting the rubber on my shoes through the bars.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i don't know if you have experienced this before but some dogs take direct eye contact as a direct threat..i had one where i reached down to pick up the food pan..the dog was standing on top of the dog house, as i rose up my eyes were level with his and only because i yanked my head back did those teeth miss me..your launch story made me remember that. just something to watch out for if you work with animals on a regular basis..i only met one other, but i was always careful to avert my eyes until my head was clear of any animal after that. (i worked with two marmoset monkeys and oh how darn hard it was not to have eye contact..you wanted to look at their tiny faces so bad!)

siemens716

GSDFan05 said:
It's interesting, the highest bite rates are from chihuahuas and daschunds, we have no Rotties and only a couple of pit bull clients that require muzzles on a regular basis.

QUOTE]

This is the truth large breed owners love to hear. Small dogs are more aggressive than large breeds yet because no one takes them seriously they get away with much more than large breed dogs. If my dog snapped at somone I would have a lawsuit on my hands, but if a small dog nips at somone its a silly joke....not fair.

Also not fair is that small breed owners are more irresponible with their dogs than large breed owners. They let them loose and allow them to approach large breed dogs, then get upset when the large breed dog shows signs of aggression or responds to the barking, yapping, or hyperactive small breed dog.

siemens716

smkie said:
i do not believe any child of that age should be left unattended with ANY animal for the animal's safety as well. I don't know why at 5 you didn't know not to hit an animal with a stick, but 5 is capable of doing a number of painful things to a dog without realizing that the animal will retaliate. THat is why especially with a new dog an adult should always be present and abusive behavoir not tolerated. It was two 7 yr old boys that killed my first labrador puppy..he was 6 weeks old and they squeezed him to hard breaking his ribs into his lung. He died on the way to the er vet..i was out in the field working and my boss and the man's father let the two monsters in with the babies. I am sorry you were attacked seimen, that must have been terrible and marking for you at that age. Obviously you have gotten over any fear of dogs..i hope you parents helped you thru that, or that you were able to accomplish this on your own. There was a boy on the tv that had his face replaced after a dog attack. He tried to give the dog his piece of pizza, realized he had put it to far away for the animal on the chain and reached for it to move it closer. He was three. Adults have to realize that children and animals must be monitored at all times..as Seimen has pointed out..they had the dog for 5 years. Was this the first time it showed aggression? For an animal that had been in the family that long that is very strange and traggic for all. What kind of dog was it? Was it a house dog or yard dog?
Certainly it was not right for me to hit a dog with a stick, but I was a troublemaker. And yes, somone should have supervised me. However, these things happen.

The dog was a yard dog, and he was a large german shepherd husky mix. I was sad that he was sent away. And I never had issues with dogs after that. Now i have two large dogs.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My brother hit penny (he was 4 i think) across the nose with a stick before i was born..but i heard the story more than once out of mom..my friend Kelly's daughter beamed my pointer Bin once too..he had been so nice to her too..letting her put her hand on his back while he gave her the tour of the whole back yard. I was watching from the window thinking what a good dog bin was being when she bent down picked up a stick and before i could clear the patio door she clubbed him one..she was little but i don't remember exactly what her age was. We had so many customers come to buy their kids a labrador puppy because they had been attacked and wanted their kids to grow up unafraid of dogs. One little boy had to be life lifted to children's mercy..the dog bit out his tummy when he was three..what was worse is the man next door had lifted the child out of his own yard and placed him in his yard so the dog and child could play. People just don't realize the dangers. My grandaughter is 5 and she spent time out two days ago for pulling Mary's tail....Mom heard her giggling hysterically (always a good reason to check) and busted her in the act..Mary i would trust no matter what but would not any other dog..not even Victor. Just teasing Seimen..but it doesn't suprise me u were a trouble maker ;)

luvmydogs

i haven't but my sister-in-law lost half her upper lip by a german shepherd. she pet him and he just jumped and bit her in the face.that's got to be scary. she owns a dog now though. so it didn't impact her love for dogs

GSDFan05

We had a GSD/wolf mix years and years ago, he was the GREATEST dog, but he did bite one time. He was in the yard (he wasn't a yard dog! He was out there while the kitchen floor was being mopped) and a neighbor kid came by and whacked him with a stick several times, so he lunged. He put his teeth on the boy but didn't break the skin. Have I mentioned that I'd rather own a furkid over a 'skin' kid any day?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I was bitten by a schnauzer when I was young. I think I was like 7 at the time and we knew the lady that owned the schnauzer. Me and my cousins would always go to this old lady's yard to play in the tree she had and in her yard. She was a close family friend and very nice. Well she had an old Schnauzer and a Scottish terrier. Well the dogs where pretty friendly to people that they knew, but the schnauzer was old and pretty grumpy. Not aggressive, just grumpy.
Well I pretty much loved the dogs, but left the schnauzer be because it was old and it scared me :rolleyes:
Anyways we were left in the yard unsupervised (my cousin was like 10 or 11 at the time) while the lady went into the house to get some drinks/snacks for us (she was really nice and I miss her). Well my cousin (younger girl about 5) went over to "greet" the schnauzer. Well she tugs on it's ear and when I went to get her to leave it alone it bit my arm. He was an old guy and I don't blame him one bit, but it did make me scared of schnauzer's after that. Now I am fine, but still a bit nervous around them. Well I had to go to the hospital and get stitches cause it was bleeding and thankfully the dog wasn't put down.

mrose_s

BusterLove
i dont think this counts but... i was riding my bike to school with a frined and a white chi mix chased us, it had a go at my friend(ok it ran next to her bike) and then it realised she would just keep riidng even if it jumped under her wheel, so it went after me... lol... gosh it was frightening!!!

Members online