Dog Books.

S

Stanna

What is everyone's favorite dog books? Lets take a survey ?

State 1-2 books for each category. It's ok to pick books others have already listed.

The categorie's:

Puppy Ownership
Training
Behavioral
Medical
Breed guide
All around, if someone could only afford only one book in dog ownership

Feel free to leave a review of the books too. Would love to see this become a reference point we can all use and learn something from.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i liked the Monks of New Skete dog training book
and for learning about dogs The Intelligence of Dogs Canine Consciousness nad Capabilites has taught me alot. (they should have hired me for the illustrator on that one however)

bubbatd

" How To Raise A Puppy You Can live With " Rutherford and Neil. ".... absolutely indispensable to everyone having anything to do with puppies : breeders,owners,trainers, instructors ....totally positive approach ...a fantastic book about puppy rearing " > Fran Ennis, Off-Lead. Alpine Publication. Inc. www.alpinepub.com

nedim

bubbatd said:
" How To Raise A Puppy You Can live With " Rutherford and Neil. ".... absolutely indispensable to everyone having anything to do with puppies : breeders,owners,trainers, instructors ....totally positive approach ...a fantastic book about puppy rearing " > Fran Ennis, Off-Lead. Alpine Publication. Inc. www.alpinepub.com

I agree. I have my copy thanks to bubbatd. Great Book, and it has a lot of helpful info.

Medical- Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook 3rd edition by James M. Griffin, MD & Liisa D. Carlson, DVM- great book! It has alot of information on all kinds of problems your pet could have. And basic emergency care for a dog (CPR, how to deal with basic injuries, etc)

Breed guide- Bullmastiffs Today by Lyn Pratt- has lots of info about the breed in general. Has the breed standard, training info, breed history etc.

Another good book- The Whelping and Rearing of Puppies A complete and Practical Guide by Muriel P. Lee- I would recommend this book for anyone thinking about breeding or just getting into it. Has very practical info. Great reference!

Ezriyah
Regards Bullmastiffs
www.geocities.com/regardsbullmastiffs/home.html

bubbatd

Thanks Nedim.....It's so straight forward , and over my 40 years of raising I've read many. " Back then " I'd buy them by the dozen and sell them to pup owners at my cost.. $7.00 . ( 1981 ....3rd printing now )

S

Stanna

What we have so far :)

Votes for each title in parenthisis:

Puppy raising
(2)How To Raise A Puppy You Can live With " Rutherford and Neil.
(1)The Whelping and Rearing of Puppies A complete and Practical Guide by Muriel P. Lee
---------------
Training
(1)Monks of New Skete dog training book
---------------
About dogs/General Behavior
(1)The Intelligence of Dogs Canine Consciousness and Capabilites
---------------
Medical
(1)Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook 3rd edition by James M. Griffin, MD & Liisa D. Carlson, DVM
---------------
Breed guide
(1)Bullmastiffs Today by Lyn Pratt

GSDFan05

I really liked Raymond Coppinger's Dogs : A New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior and Evolution, I thought it was fascinating.

Also, I'm not sure if this counts but I'm a HUGE James Herriot fan, I grew up on those books and have one that's a collection of just dog stories.

I also vote for the Monks of New Skete, and right now I'm reading a good one called The Latchkey Dog by Jodi Anderson that examines how the switch to more modern lifestyles has affected our relationships with our dogs.

Well, I haven't read a whole whole bunch of dog books, but my alltime favorite is Your Pure Bred Puppy:A Buyer's Guide (www.yourpurebredpuppy.com). I guess that would go under the Breed Guide. For training, I like the Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog training and Good Dogs, Great Owners. (Can't remember who wrote them though...lol)

bubbatd said:
This book is a hands-down winner in MY book!!! :D

I liked Vicki Hearne's books (Animal Happiness, Bandit, and I'm blanking on the last one) when I was struggling with my terrier/husky mix who had NOT read the books about how dogs just want to please their owners. I sometimes think most training books were written by people who own Goldens.

bogolove

I love the "Dog Bible: The Definitive Source For All Things Dog". It is 750 pages of all things dog that you would want to know.

Members online

No members online now.