Rottwielers??

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Are rotties typically loungers?

Pog (oh that name makes me giggle :p) seems to be a real lazy bum, just like Lucas :rolleyes: And doesn't it just figure? I wanted a dog (my next dog) with a bit more get up and go! But, like I said before ....are they typically low energy dogs?

And what about training? How are they with that? Stubborn? Willing to learn? etc etc

**note** No this doesn't mean I definetly will be keeping Pog! lol But it's an option right now. Or possibly for my friend.

J's crew

Are rotties typically loungers?

Pog (oh that name makes me giggle :p) seems to be a real lazy bum, just like Lucas :rolleyes: And doesn't it just figure? I wanted a dog (my next dog) with a bit more get up and go! But, like I said before ....are they typically low energy dogs?

And what about training? How are they with that? Stubborn? Willing to learn? etc etc

**note** No this doesn't mean I definetly will be keeping Pog! lol But it's an option right now. Or possibly for my friend.

Rottweilers are usualy not a high enery, high strung breed. I have two that are total couch potatoes, but will spring into action if I initiate play, training, etc. My other two are just over a year old and they can run circles around me any day. They are all really very versatile, if I want to spend the day doing nothing they are more than happy to oblige. But, if I want to work or play they spring into action.

Also, contrary to what some believe, I find them very easy to train. My dogs are so eager to please that training has been a breeze. I had my younger ones potty trained by the time they were 8-10 weeks old and have only had one accident since then. I guess I can't call it an accident though, one of them had to go really bad in the middle of the night and I choose to ignore his attempts to wake me. :rolleyes:

Another thing to think about if you have a male dog already some Rottweilers can be very aggressive when it comes to the same sex. It takes alot of consistent training, being fed in seperate areas, etc. to manage any problems before they arise.

How old is Pog? What about Lucas? I have three males and will not allow them to be left alone unsupervised. I have had to live before with dogs being completly seperated and it is no fun at all. With my three now I am always watching to make sure I read their body language so I can keep a handle on things before anything were to happen. I think once a Rottweiler fights with a dog they hold a grudge and can never get along, at least in my experience. I will say having two male Rottweilers is much easier to handle than two females.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Rottweilers are usualy not a high enery, high strung breed. I have two that are total couch potatoes, but will spring into action if I initiate play, training, etc. My other two are just over a year old and they can run circles around me any day. They are all really very versatile, if I want to spend the day doing nothing they are more than happy to oblige. But, if I want to work or play they spring into action.
I see! lol Well, maybe after a bit more time to get use to being here he will start being more active on our walks, though it could also be the "fat" he's carrying around. ;)

Also, contrary to what some believe, I find them very easy to train. My dogs are so eager to please that training has been a breeze. I had my younger ones potty trained by the time they were 8-10 weeks old and have only had one accident since then. I guess I can't call it an accident though, one of them had to go really bad in the middle of the night and I choose to ignore his attempts to wake me.
I had a rottweiler once before, though when I was very young and all I can remember was she was a wonderful dog! But we didn't train her. Hey, it's ok I've ignored lucas a few times when he wanted out at 2 am in the morning! :p lol

Ok, so for the most part pretty easy to train? It would be ok if they are stubborn (I'll probably do most training or helping to train) since I've managed to train Lucas and he's a stubborn mule. lol

Another thing to think about if you have a male dog already some Rottweilers can be very aggressive when it comes to the same sex. It takes alot of consistent training, being fed in seperate areas, etc. to manage any problems before they arise.
Yeah, that's one thing I read about, thus another reason to keep them seperated. If my roomate does decide to keep him it won't be a big problem keeping them seperated, too bad Lucas won't get a playmate though :p lol

How old is Pog? What about Lucas? I have three males and will not allow them to be left alone unsupervised. I have had to live before with dogs being completly seperated and it is no fun at all. With my three now I am always watching to make sure I read their body language so I can keep a handle on things before anything were to happen. I think once a Rottweiler fights with a dog they hold a grudge and can never get along, at least in my experience. I will say having two male Rottweilers is much easier to handle than two females.
I'm not sure how old Pog is, he was found by me running around the streets. He seems to be older as his muzzle is greying a little. I have pics of him here: http://chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36016 But in those you can't see the grey very much. My vet seems to think around 5-7 yrs.
Lucas is 6 yrs old. Both are neutered. I also have gotten pretty good reading body languate (Meet-and- greets at the shelter or just playing with more then one dogs etc etc) and I know Lucas' body language very well! I can tell when he is starting to get upset before he does anything. :)

Either way, even if he was friendly, I wouldn't leave them alone together anyways. With my friends other dog (Sargent- Pit mix) he wasn't left alone together either and they where very friendly to each other. They where play mates.

filarotten

Fila the love
IMO, Rotties are one of the easiest of dogs to train. They are extremely smart, and grasp a very quick understanding of the human language. They are very loyal and loving dogs, and quite versatile. Happy to lounge around all day, or play at a minutes notice. They just want to be near their people.

As far as food aggression, the only thing that I have seen with Roxie, would be a bone. She does like to have a bone to herself...but, then all of my dogs do. She has never tried to fight over one, but will give a warning growl if another one gets to close to her bone. But, I can take it away from her with no problems.

The only fault Roxie has...excessive shedding. Other than that, she is the perfect dog, friend, and family member.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
IMO, Rotties are one of the easiest of dogs to train. They are extremely smart, and grasp a very quick understanding of the human language. They are very loyal and loving dogs, and quite versatile. Happy to lounge around all day, or play at a minutes notice. They just want to be near their people.

As far as food aggression, the only thing that I have seen with Roxie, would be a bone. She does like to have a bone to herself...but, then all of my dogs do. She has never tried to fight over one, but will give a warning growl if another one gets to close to her bone. But, I can take it away from her with no problems.

The only fault Roxie has...excessive shedding. Other than that, she is the perfect dog, friend, and family member.
Ok, if we still have Pog by the end of the week and my friend want's to keep him (or possibly) we will see how he get's along with Lucas. If they don't get along then there isn't much hope of me getting him, but my friend may still want him. Which is fine as we can just keep them seperate. Though I'd prefer it that they at least tolerate each other, but it's ok if they don't. :)

Ha ha! Yes, Rottweilers shed ALOT! :D
LOL that is not a problem at all!! :p Lucas sheds a TON!!! (he is a Malamute by the way) so shedding is no problem :)

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I love rotties. I had two (one passed and one went back to the original owner once he came back after many years :(, but he lives next door so I can see Harley!!! :D)and they were balanced, socialized, easy to train, eager to please, intelligent, loyal, energetic at times, yet AWESOME cuddle buddies.
There was a stage of attempted dominance, as in many, many dogs, but once we got past that Harley became the squishy, sweet lovey dovey boy he is now. :p
Rosie was always submissive, LOYAL like no one would believe, and to my knowledge never went through a people dominance stage in the 12 years of her life. She was so SWEET, I love her so much and I will never forgt all the love and companionship she gave me.
Yes, LOL, shedding was abundant!!
Training was so simple and easy. I loved working with them.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Every single Rottie I"ve met in the past has ALWAYS been a huge love bug - always needing pats and scratches that instant, thinking they are a lap dog... etc etc

They aren't a "high energy" dog, but can be when needed to be.
I have seen some in training and yes - they can be somewhat stubborn about things, but they are trainable for sure!

I really like ROtties :)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Every single Rottie I"ve met in the past has ALWAYS been a huge love bug - always needing pats and scratches that instant, thinking they are a lap dog... etc etc

They aren't a "high energy" dog, but can be when needed to be.
I have seen some in training and yes - they can be somewhat stubborn about things, but they are trainable for sure!

I really like ROtties :)
Pog is a big snuggle butt! :p It's so much better then Lucas' snuggles!! Lucas only snuggles a tiny bit, but Pog isa real snuggle butt! LOVES people for sure :)

My grandmother has a rottie named Sadie and she is definitely a love bug. If you start to walk away from her after petting her she'll jump in front of you and sit on your feet so you can't leave her. :) Then she stares up at you with a big 'ol grin waiting to get pet again. She's pretty active especially when she's out in the yard, but she can also be lazy too.

Members online

No members online now.