What do you wish you'd named your dog? What did you almost choose?

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Nola has always been Nola. I kicked around a few others (Layla, Venice, Italy, Los Angels), but Nola was the only one that fit. I love New Orleans food, architecture and culture, so it fit perfectly.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I kind of forgot I had 3 dogs lol. Happy came named. I had no intention of changing it, since she just... IS Happy. Suits her so well.

CaliTerp07

Lucy was named when we adopted her at 3. I wanted to name her Hannah because we picked her up during hurricane Hannah, but Zach hates that name for some reason. Her official name is now Lucifer Hannah aka Lucy-bug :)

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Cali was almost Shay, but everyone I knew preferred Cali, and it just fit her so much better.

Moses... was almost Jesus. That is what you get when you get a six year old a puppy and say that they can choose the name. My parents immediately veto'd that suggestion though and we compromised on Moses. I still remember going to church one morning when we first got him and the pastor asked the kids for bible related things starting with "M" and I yelled out, "Moses... my new DOG!" :p

So, very happy with the names I picked, considering the runner up names. I had changed my horse's name from Honey to Indie, just because I absolutely hated it.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Other half wanted to call Fred 'Plug'.

I never really gelled with Fred, but he's Fred now no matter what!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Cali was almost Shay, but everyone I knew preferred Cali, and it just fit her so much better.

Moses... was almost Jesus. That is what you get when you get a six year old a puppy and say that they can choose the name. My parents immediately veto'd that suggestion though and we compromised on Moses. I still remember going to church one morning when we first got him and the pastor asked the kids for bible related things starting with "M" and I yelled out, "Moses... my new DOG!" :p

So, very happy with the names I picked, considering the runner up names. I had changed my horse's name from Honey to Indie, just because I absolutely hated it.
My cat was called Jesus for a short time till we worked out he was a she, then she became jess.

That's what you get in a house full of 19yr old students lol

Brattina88

Maddie was Maddie from the get-go. Easiest naming Ill ever do... She was just an 8 week old pup, and as soon as the name Maddie came up, I knew that was IT. :D

Bailey... Poor Bailey. Spent the first two weeks or so in a strange house with me using different names all the time. She came to me as Shelby, and it just didn't suit her at all, I didn't like it. So I had several names, the top two being Bailey and Breagha (Bria ... Bree-uh). Then my Dad liked Bailey better, so I started to, too. Then I used about 1284821 different spellings of Bailey Bayleigh Baylee etc :rofl1:
Sometimes I still catch myself thinking Breagha in my head. I like that name a lot , I think I'll use it for one of my future dogs for sure :) it's a smidge too pretty and sweet for ditzy quirky Bailey though :p LOL

RottenFlower

rotties are my kryptonite
More north of south, but more south of north.
I have this whole list of XMen-centric names for my future dogs. A female Rottie was to be Ada (short for adamantium), and a male was supposed to be The Professor, Xavier, Remy, Gambit, Logan, etc...

But when I adopted the current Rotties, Ada & any of the male names didn't fit. Kaia was Candy at the shelter & Dulcie in rescue. I don't even particularly like her name, but she definitely wasn't an Ada. I tried several other names on her, but Kaia was the only thing that fit. Gunnar was Gunni at the shelter & in rescue, and it sorta just fit him. Mostly, we call the Biggie & Smalls, or Mr. Big & Kai.

Clyde was supposed to be something like Nubbin or Snorfles. The SO named him Clyde after the orangutan in that old Eastwood movie, Every Which Way But Loose. Mostly, he was called Flower, because he was my delicate little flower. His PAL name was JBG's It's Clobberin' Time. :)

I think Nat used to be Queenie or Princess or something equally dumb. The SO named her after a Bob Marley song, Natty Dreads, after Nat fell into the lake and surfaced looking like some type of dreaded monster.

Zellie was Capers when we got her, and I wanted to name her Daisy or something like that... but SO said she looked like Rapunzel, and named her that. Zellie what we have always called her though.

StiXxX was Ricky at the shelter, and I desperately wanted to name him Gremlin or Charles. Once again, SO won and his name is StiXxX. I think that the SO actually spells it Sticks, but eff that.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I'm happy with Quinn's name. She came as Amy, which I liked and suited her (still does) but I knew some human Amys and I wanted something more uncommon. Other names I was considering were Lena, Ruby, and Riata. I'm glad I didn't go with Riata - it is too harsh and not feminine enough for her. Ruby is common and Next Dog's name will start with the Roo sound so I'm VERY happy I passed on Ruby. Quinn actually gets called Ruby a lot, shortened from her dumb nickname Quinn-a-Roo. Lena I love, it has a lot of personal meaning to me and I think it would actually fit her very well. I passed on it because I have a Lizzy and a Lani (horses). I would like to use it in the future though and it follows the same theme as Quinn (named after badass cutting horses!).

I liked Astrid a lot too, but then I couldn't stop thinking of The Office, and Michael calling the baby "Astird" ("ass-turd") instead.
OMG I just burst out laughing. This happens to me every time I hear Astrid - I think "Assturd" because of Michael. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does that.
I love the name Blossom, for the record!

Gambit came as Johnathon. Not even Johnny, which might have been cute, but Johnathon. I changed it to Token, after also considering Tug, Danner, Gideon, and Coda. After two weeks Token didn't fit, so I went with Gambit. No regrets, though it took me way too long to figure out Gambit was an x- men character :rolleyes:

Shakou

Ma'ii came to us as Marlin, which right from the start didn't settle with me because it sounded to close to Merlin, which is my uncle's name. We kept it for several months, and when I couldn't stand it anymore, I changed it to Ma'ii. We live in the deserts of AZ, right on the edge of the Navajo reservation, so I wanted something to go with that theme. Ma'ii means "coyote" in Navajo, which is also my totem animal.

I don't regret it, though I do get weird looks from Navajo people when I tell them his name. The name is associated with bad luck. I think I've been pretty lucky though :)

As for Charlotte, my husband named her before we met. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but it's not really my say in the matter.

I wish I had shortened B'asia to just Asia. People have a hard time with the pronunciation (it's just Asia with a B). But they want to call her Basha or Bahzsa.

The other names, I'm pretty happy with. I chose Cara and Mia's names long before I got them. Caramia is "my heart" or "my beloved" in Italian and I thought it would make cute name for twins or litter mates, as it turns out.

I have lots of ideas for my next dog, if I ever get another one. :)

Personally, I think the name Mollie suits Mollie to a T. :) My mom almost named her Milly Molly Mandy :lol-sign: gosh I'm so glad she didn't.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Personally, I think the name Mollie suits Mollie to a T. :) My mom almost named her Milly Molly Mandy :lol-sign: gosh I'm so glad she didn't.
Oh my god, I loved those stories when I was little. My Mum wanted to kill me though, because they're so freaking boring she would hate reading them to me. :rofl1:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Ma'ii came to us as Marlin, which right from the start didn't settle with me because it sounded to close to Merlin, which is my uncle's name.
..you have an uncle named Merlin? I WANT AN UNCLE NAMED MERLIN!

I had no idea Merlin was a commonly used person name!

..this changes everything.

Toller_08

I'd thought Dance might be called Aero. I don't even know why, but for some reason that's what I thought my first Toller's name would be. I had a few others picked out too, but I can't remember what they were. I am glad I stumbled randomly upon the name Dance though. It's perfect for her, is super unique, and I really can't picture her as anything else. It's my favourite name of any of the names my dogs have had.

Journey was tough. I'd come to know her as Nina, but really didn't like the name. It did somehow suit her though, just because of the familiarity and what I was used to knowing her as. I was thinking she might be River or Tehya, both names I still do like for the right dog, but they just didn't seem right for her. I played around with some other names that I'd had on my "list of future dog names" and Journey happened to be one and it just stuck. I can't picture her as anything else. I love her name. She doesn't get called by her whole name very often, but it suits her very well I think. More often than not I shorten it to Journ though, just because I prefer one syllable names. But I think she gets called Jelly and Jelly Bean and other variations of that most of the time haha.

I didn't have any other names picked out for Ripley. We'd joked about calling him Nigel, but I couldn't actually bring myself to call him that permanently lol. I was trying to think of different names for him but my mom picked the name Ripley and was pretty persistent that that would be his name. And so it was. I'm still not a big fan. Just something about saying it that I don't find flows smoothly, but it works. He's a dog I think that could be called many names though. So many names I think of on a whim could suit him for some reason.

Keira was impossible to name. We finally just settled on Keira because we really couldn't think of and agree on anything. I really like it though and think it's a very pretty name for her.

k9krazee

We have a list for dogtwo, including but not limited to, Pork Chop, Pox, Hops, Dex, Frostbite & Flare. Unfortunately Skully was vetoed ;) I'll be curious as to what name we choose when the day comes.

I just looked at the limited list we had for Crossbone ---- Cowboy, Pirate & Crossbone were the only three names on it. People think we say "Crossbow" and are like, woah! Sweet name! Then we correct them and they just stare blankly! :D

Members online

No members online now.