BARF vs. Prey-model diet

Kellster

I'm bringing home a new Westie puppy in a few days and am in obsessive mode about learning and deciding which is the most optimal diet for my new baby. Just read Dr. Ian Billinghurst's book, "Give Your Dog A Bone". I thought it was excellent and have been all revved up to follow his plan. But then I find this article about a Prey-model diet. This author (Lily Allyn) refutes the notion that dogs are omnivores, says they're carnivores and therefore should eat whole-prey food. She makes a compelling case and now I'm vascillating. My new puppy has an outstanding pedigree and if she proves to have the qualities of a champion by the time she's 6 months old I plan to show her. I'm worried that a Prey-model diet might keep her too lean to develop into a show dog. Anyone out there have experience with these diets, or is an avid reader and obsessive researcher like I am and can contribute to my education?

Dekka

Just try me..
Personally I feed close to the whole prey, but with some veggies and fruits. (not much, just some) I don't know if they NEED it, but there are lots of vitamins etc that are not in high conc in meat. My dogs are very active racing, doing agility and what not...so I would rather be safe than sorry.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Congrats on the new puppy! I'm glad to hear you're doing so much research on health and nutrition. While there are healthy dogs on both diet plans, I personally prefer to feed closer to prey model raw.

My boys get mostly meat, bone and organs, but also get a generous helping (about 1.5 cups) of cooked veggies about once a week. They're in wonderful health. I'm no doggy nutritionist, but I think that the BARF models--I saw one that recommended 40-45% veggies per meal!--are excessive on the greens. I'm sure a dog can do well on that much veggies, but I'm not convinced they actually need that much. Especially since mine have been perfectly fine on a minimally veggie diet.

I think it's also easier to go with the prey model raw. My dogs eat a combined total of 4-5 lbs of meat per day. If I went with the BARF diet, that equates to about 2 lbs of veggies that need to be prepped, cooked and pureed. EVERY day. That's no fun. With the prey model raw, I toss them each half a chicken for dinner and call it a done task.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.