Cutting Out Sugar?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Mug cake recipe, please!
Hahaha, sure! Here's the original for those who don't like to use a microwave, it was intended to be baked in the oven (and I have baked it in the oven before):
http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/03/grain-free-banana-bread-protein-cake/
I NEVER used Stevia in mine. I always used about 1-2 teaspoons of honey instead.

And here's a chocolate one:
http://humblefoodie.com/2012/03/07/paleo-mug-cakes/

Based off these two recipes this is where I've landed as my standard:
1 extra large egg
1 banana (I like the super brown ones)
1 tbsp nut butter (or sunflower butter if you've got a nut allergy)
1 tsp coconut oil, melted
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract (check your labels... you'd be surprised how many vanilla extracts have other junk in them like corn syrup)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp walnuts, chopped

You can add protein powder if you like, I have both vanilla and chocolate I've used in the past, or for the chocolate recipe you just use plain cocoa powder. I also vary between days that I decide to use Pumpkin Pie Spice, Apple Pie Spice, or sometimes I start grabbing nutmeg, ginger, cloves, et cetera, and add whatever/however much I want. You can use honey or maple syrup but I rarely do anymore. Swap out the walnuts for different nuts (like pecans!) Sometimes I use butter instead of coconut oil. I usually don't add chocolate chips unless it's Friday and I've decided I want some, haha. Then I usually chuck a small handful (like maybe six??) on top when it comes out of the microwave and let them melt on top.

GipsyQueen

I've noticed baking works best with "simple" cakes - if you know what I mean? The cake may just not be as sweet - but that's not negative IMO :p
Just don't use the same amount of cups honey as you would sugar. ;) Depending on the cake I've notice 3-5 TS is enough. :)

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Day 3, and I had AWFUL stomach pain today midmorning. It was so bad I thought I was going to vomit, was sweating, and could barely finish the project I was working on before I left sick. I did some searching online, and it seems that nausea is a symptom of sugar withdrawal.

I'm feeling a bit better now, but I nearly fell asleep driving home and have been sleeping all afternoon.

I'm going to get some ginger caplets and see if that helps.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
The nausea and feeling sleepy are both definitely withdrawal symptoms. =< Stick with it and you WILL feel better soon!! Spearmint is my go-to for stomach pains - I know places like Wal-Mart have spearmint teas you might want to get ahold of and drink.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I cut out cokes a couple weeks ago. I did have one last weds because someone bought It for me at a concert not realizing I'd quit. I felt obligated.

I am cutting out all bread and such because I have so much family with gluten intolerance and wheat allergies. I figure I should Try and see if that helps my stomach issues.

Long story short- I feel very headachey and bloated? I'm two days in on his no bread thing.

this is normal. For most people I know that have done it, days 3-4 were the worst. Eat an avocado :)

but after that it gets better and those feelings do go away. I don't miss those mid morning times when I feel like i'm going to pass out if i don't get some grain/sugar.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Well, after a rough night last night and an iffy morning, I'm feeling better. Actually, I ended up caffeine free today as well because the thought of drinking anything other than diet ginger ale and water made my stomach to flip flops.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
It's been 7 days and the only things I really miss are frozen treats and bagels. I'm trying to avoid artificial sweeteners, but I think I'm going to go get some no sugar added Popsicles. I have yet to find a whole wheat bagels without sugar in the first three ingredients, but I'm still looking.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Have you looked into recipes? Bagels are something you could probably spend an afternoon making a ton of, then freeze a bunch to eat later at your convenience.

Brattina88

Have you looked into recipes? Bagels are something you could probably spend an afternoon making a ton of, then freeze a bunch to eat later at your convenience.
Popsicles, too! Super easy and fun to make different flavors ;)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Popsicles, too! Super easy and fun to make different flavors ;)
Definitely! Blend up some fruit and throw it in a popsicle mold! I love doing blueberry and raspberries. Sometimes I add banana in there too. And sometimes it doesn't quite make it into the freezer because I eat it straight out of the blender LOL.

For bagels, maybe try looking at gluten free bagels - a LOT of gluten free stuff has tooons of sugar added, but if you're careful you can find good ones!

Members online

No members online now.