Another resume question

Taqroy

Should you put hobbies on your resume? I'm looking mine over (for the first time in two years lol) and I have extra curricular activities from college listed. I don't think they're applicable anymore since I haven't been in college for two years so should I replace them or just get rid of the section entirely?

I'm not sure what to put in for my objective either. This isn't so that I can get a new job - my boss wants me to update it so that he can put me in for a bump to the next level so I don't know if I should even have an objective.

Help!! I hate resumes. >.<

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I'd take out hobbies and keep it work related.

Write the objective toward what you'd be doing if you got the bump up in your company...

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I don't do objectives on my resume - haven't for almost a decade LOL. Very few people do anymore.

But yeah, get rid of the hobbies and such from school since you have work experience now. That sort of thing is helpful for people straight out of school who don't have much (or any) work experience, not so helpful for people who have actual work experience to list instead.

milos_mommy

I've never put an objective on a resume (i've also only ever applied to lower-level jobs).

I sometimes put relevant hobbies. I wouldn't have a resume section that says Hobbies: and then put things like "reading, training my dogs, hiking, and frisbee" like I would on match.com.

But, if I'm applying for a position working with dogs, I might list under EXTRAS: (alongside my language skills, volunteer work, etc) list classes I've trained or specific skills I've trained my own dogs. If I'm applying for a position tutoring HS kids in English, I'll say that I belong to a book club and writing workshop.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
I would keep the hobbies/activities if they somehow relate to the job you are applying for. I left volunteer experience from a couple years ago on mine and got positive feedback during my last interview (which landed me the job).

CaliTerp07

Are the hobbies/volunteer work relevant to the position? When I was applying to teach, I listed that I tutored low income students and taught English classes to immigrants. I left off that I do agility and foster dogs, as that is pretty irrelevant.

Anything from college (clubs, teams) came off after I had my first job. I wanted people to think of me as someone with experience, not a college kid

And I agree with others that objectives are irrelevant for today.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I don't put hobbies.. but I do put internships/volunteer work. So sometimes that helps show what you are interested in

Taqroy

I don't do objectives on my resume - haven't for almost a decade LOL. Very few people do anymore.
That's really interesting. When I was in college it was mandatory that we put objectives on resumes (we had a class for resume writing). I think I'm just going to take it off though because what am I going to put? Objective: Make more money. LOL.

I'm going to take the extra curriculars off as well - none of them are relevant to what I do anyway. Thank you guys for the input!

Members online

No members online now.