What if: Breeding Ban

pawzaddict

Cali made it illegal to own ferrets way back when because they were getting out and killing chickens. People who do not take their ferrets to the vets are just as bad as dog owners who don't...

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
I don't think there will ever be a breeding ban on dogs or anything else. They may just as well try to put a breeding ban on chickens and cows. :p

The reason I say it that way is that we all know that there are multiple breeding facilities that produce so many dogs they may as well be industrial.

BTW- I'm not saying that I like that. It makes me sick. But that's just how it is in this sicko world.

Gguevara

if i were a breeder and a law like that was passed...
Unless the consequence was going to jail for 10 years or killing the dogs...

I'd just ignore it.

If you live in a decently secluded area and have good neighbours...
If you didn't advertise your pups, and only sold to people through word of mouth (which one could argue breeders should be doing anyways)...

Well, if it's like every other animal law (and many many non-animal laws), they probably wouldn't find out.

A good breeder does right by the breed, not necessarily the government. Being a good person doesn't correspond with being a lawful person. It can but it doesn't have to. In my opinion. Obviously many disagree. That's ok. Most of us don't even share the same country lol.

But honestly what has the country come to if you can't breed your own dog???ridiculous to me. I mean that is getting into 1984 crap.
agreed

I think that is just a false rumor. You can't believe everything you read. I don't see how it could be enforced.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Cali made it illegal to own ferrets way back when because they were getting out and killing chickens. People who do not take their ferrets to the vets are just as bad as dog owners who don't...
Where are you getting that from? Ferrets are extremely ill equipped to survive in the wild. It would like scottish terriers forming a pack in the woods and going feral. Not gonna last long. And seeing as they are inside pets with a very low survival rate when turned loose, I highly doubt enough chickens were killed for legislation to pass. It's much more likely dogs would kill chickens than ferrets.

Where are you getting that from? Ferrets are extremely ill equipped to survive in the wild. It would like scottish terriers forming a pack in the woods and going feral. Not gonna last long. And seeing as they are inside pets with a very low survival rate when turned loose, I highly doubt enough chickens were killed for legislation to pass. It's much more likely dogs would kill chickens than ferrets.
LoL! Not to mention, ferrets have such poor eye sight I don't think they could even see a chicken until they were right at it! And by then the chicken would probably have pecked it on the head.

Pops2

our ferrets in the USA come from british pet stock but even some of these have all the tools of a good hunting ferret and could survive just fine on lizards, rodents & small birds.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I think it's a lot more likely that if the ferret scenario is true, some escaped euro minks or something did it and someone with an agenda decided to blame ferrets.

Our ferret got out once. He was lost for a week. When my brother found him he was laying under a pallet in the woodshed, shivering, starving, and near death. It's not like there wasn't plenty of mice in the woodshed.

Pops2

they're like english bulldogs most aren't worth a darn but every once in a while a throwback is born that has the drive & physique to do the job.

our ferrets in the USA come from british pet stock but even some of these have all the tools of a good hunting ferret and could survive just fine on lizards, rodents & small birds.
Lizards, POSSIBLY. They wouldn't be able to catch a small bird. It would be gone by the time a ferret even realizes its there. A chicken, no. A chicken can kill a small rodent such as a mouse, so they would get the ferret.

bubbatd

I've been wondering about the possible CA law to ban all exotic animals and reptiles .

Pops2

dobesgalore
you aren't really familiar w/ ferrets are you. the ones in the pet shop are babies. a grown ferret is 3-4X bigger than weasels that regularly kill adult chickens. in fact they are about the size of small housecats. a grown hob w/ good hunting instincts would ravage the average chicken. also as a predator they are naturally more active at night when ground & shrub roosting birds are most vulnerable. ferals in britain regularly take small birds and make occasional forays into coops & lofts after hens & pigeons.
while most wouldn't do well here because our rabbits don't warren, some do have all the tools they need to survive long enough to procreate if given the chance. don't let the clowning antics fool you.

Xandra

I'm not really familiar with ferrets but have to agree with Pops...

They could probably catch quail at night if nothing else.

They are certainly phyiscally capable of killing a chicken... it's commonplace for the smaller weasel to kill chickens and even great big 10 lb New Zealand rabbits.

I don't know whether the average ferret over here has the instincts or "balls" to kill something that much larger than it, but there certainly are ferrets that do, and it stands to reason there would be some over here with those instincts.

Just like show dogs and working dogs... show dogs are for the most part wrecked for work but every so often you get one that will.

ETA lol and that analogy has already be used...

Romy

Taxiderpy
dobesgalore
you aren't really familiar w/ ferrets are you. the ones in the pet shop are babies. a grown ferret is 3-4X bigger than weasels that regularly kill adult chickens. in fact they are about the size of small housecats. a grown hob w/ good hunting instincts would ravage the average chicken. also as a predator they are naturally more active at night when ground & shrub roosting birds are most vulnerable. ferals in britain regularly take small birds and make occasional forays into coops & lofts after hens & pigeons.
while most wouldn't do well here because our rabbits don't warren, some do have all the tools they need to survive long enough to procreate if given the chance. don't let the clowning antics fool you.
Our old ferret was huge, but a giant wuss. He used to let the house mice come in his cage and eat his kibble.

Surely there are a few out there, but not enough to warrant a ban on ferrets as a danger to anybody's livestock or wildlife.

The other big thing about ferrets is 90% of the ferrets sold in the pet trade are already altered. I think the breeding of them is regulated by the USDA, like with hedgehogs.

We did have a pair of euro mink come in and ravage the chicken coop, lost 17 hens in one night. It was devastating. They tried to get into the pullet coop next, but we had old Lefty in there. He was the biggest best araucana roo ever. He lost his wing to a coyote years before. Anyway, he piled drived one mink to death with his stub (that's how he beat the crap out of the other roosters too) and when we caught the second mink it had a broken jaw, probably Lefty's work as well. I wish he had been in the hen house that night. Those mink were the nastiest orneriest foulest things ever. The second one we caught in our house, trying to get into the brooder with chicks, so we caught it in a laundry basket as it tried to attack us. I won't post what happened to it after that.....

Romy

Taxiderpy
KA BANG!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your chickens. Your rooster sounds prettttyy freakin awesome :)

Are minks smelly?
Lefty was awesome. He was a slow maturer, so when his wing got bitten off he made it to the vet instead of the soup pot because we thought he was a pullet. lol. He more than made up for it with how well he took care of the flock though. He always kept one eye on the sky, and if a hawk or eagle started circling he would sound the alarm and for any birds dumb enough to ignore him he'd go kick the crap out of them until they ran under something. That included the geese and peacocks. We never lost any birds to hawks while he was alive. :D

Mink do smell. Pretty bad. When we trapped the one, it sprayed like a skunk and smelled like one too. And when we opened up the pullet pen to see what damage was done in there, it was skunk reek again. They probably sprayed a bunch while fighting Lefty.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Well, this thread as gotten rather interesting.

Thanks for the threadjack guys (seriously), I'm getting way more entertainment out of your conversation than my question!

dobesgalore
I have two ferrets. Both are rather small. I have seen some good size ones, but not the size of a housecat. We also don't have any wild ones around here.

Members online

No members online now.