Hi! New here and need trainer advice

Doberluv

One word of warning: (if you have a food obsessed dog like Jose`) Don't hang your good fleeces or coats on the kitchen chair and forget to remove your treats from the pockets.

R

RedyreRottweilers

OMG doberluv, I can't tell you how many pockets I have had chewed out. LOL!!!

Doberluv

Glad to know I'm not the only one who forgets or the only one with a scavanger for a dog. How dare they? LOL.

It goes to show that punishment doesn't work all that well....took me a long time to learn. Besides that $200.00 + coat (bottom) from Beans and that fleecy type jacket above, I had two other nice fleeces from Beans with all four pockets completely annihilated. :eek:

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
One word of warning: (if you have a food obsessed dog like Jose`) Don't hang your good fleeces or coats on the kitchen chair and forget to remove your treats from the pockets.
I would also suggest that if you get a new $200 winter coat a week before getting a 9 week malligator pup, don't allow the pup to think the coat is a puppy bite suit :D

Doberluv

:rofl1:

A bite suit!!!! ROFLOL!

I finally learned then. I cried. I sobbed. My son said, "a-w-w-w Mom, I'll buy you a new coat. So, I got the same one again. I don't use those pockets at all for treats."

adojrts

I use a hunting/fishing vest, so many pockets and hidey holes, that is great for keeping different rewards and rewards of different sizes (tugs/toys etc).

Works great and is cheap, can also be purchased at Wally world.

Doberluv

I use a hunting/fishing vest, so many pockets and hidey holes, that is great for keeping different rewards and rewards of different sizes (tugs/toys etc).

Works great and is cheap, can also be purchased at Wally world.
:hail: Okay! And the winner is.....

That's a FANTASTIC idea! I always want more hidey holes. Off to Wally world I go!

Mjjean

Love, love, love the carpenter apron or the hunting and fishing vest ideas! I really like having more than one pocket as the trainer suggested better treats for new or hard behaviors and more run of the mill treats for already known behaviors. Being able to easily seperate the treats and maybe even be able to store away the toys is great!

I igured out the pocket thing earlier today when we were at his last puppy appointment. He pick-pocketed me while I was talking to the vet and not looking. Slight damage to the pockets of a resale shop hoodie that I was very fond of :(

I'll probably try Wal-Mart for the vest or carpenter apron as soon as this horrendous snow stops falling. I really wouldn't mind so much if the road crews were out, but the roads are just too dangerous today. Its been snowing since last night and won't be stopping until sometime tomorrow. 12 more inches...yay...

The big box stores close by for pets have all pretty much closed and the open ones have limited selections. I called a bunch and was told the bait bags were available online only. Should have thought outside the "box",lol.

Last edited:

DanL

Glad to know I'm not the only one who forgets or the only one with a scavanger for a dog. How dare they? LOL.

It goes to show that punishment doesn't work all that well....took me a long time to learn. Besides that $200.00 + coat (bottom) from Beans and that fleecy type jacket above, I had two other nice fleeces from Beans with all four pockets completely annihilated. :eek:
Punishment does work- YOU should have been punished for leaving your coat out. I guess you were, when the coat was eaten!! :)

Doberluv

I was punished for leaving my coat out, yes. But I was punished several times prior to that. And although I liked those fleeces a lot, I just kept leaving them out, one after the next. The punishment had to get more intense to the point of abuse. LOL. It finally worked because destroying that coat was severe. It was an expensive coat, good for 25 below zero and I needed it. It was winter. LOL.

Members online

No members online now.