What gender do people assume your dog is?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
This is really bothering me. 90% of the time people asking about Summer ask about 'him.' Does Summer really look like a boy? Usually small fluffies are automatically called girls.

Nard is called a girl. Beau is called a girl. So is Rose and so is Mia. Why do people think Summer is a boy!?

Also people get confused when I tell them they're both girls. They seem to think if you have two dogs one is a boy and one is a girl.

almost everyone assumes they are both girls... I make a concerted effort to have a BOY colored harness on Armani and someone will still tell me how cute "she is".

I am not quite sure where these people think all these small dogs come from since they are all girls.

M

MyHorseMyRules

Everyone thinks Raja is a boy. I put her in a blue collar just to make it harder for them. About half of the people we encounter think Tempie is a boy, as well.

lizzybeth727

Everybody lately seems to think that Luna is a boy.... probably because of the blue collar I've had on her lately. Usually I try to get an obvious girly collar just because of that.

I have noticed that people get extremely offended if you call their dog the wrong gender. So I think I've gotten pretty good at guessing the gender within the first few seconds of seeing the dog. But if you're not sure, ASK, don't guess. :)

Pit nearly always gets called a girl. If they guess male, it's usually followed up with doubt and they'll ask if he's a girl. I stopped correcting people a long, long time ago. If they correct themselves and appear to feel bad, I just joke that he's a feminine looking boy anyways. Oh well!

I did encounter one person who thought Chloe was a boy, no matter what, they were convinced, the conversation went like this...

Them: Aww, he is cute, whats his name?

Me: CHLOE

Them: What kind of dog is he?

Me: SHE is a Yorkshire Terrier.

Them: Is he done growing?

Me: SHE probably wont get any bigger, SHE may fill out some.

Them: Where did you get him?

lol... some people just believe whatever they want. By the way she has a BRIGHT pink puppia harness you cant miss it.

Bailey08

Bailey is alwaaaaays referred to as a "she." Including at the daycare he goes to everyday! I suppose it's my fault because apparently the name became a popular one for girls and I didn't know that when I named him. All of the other dogs in my family are (and have been) female, so my family members often refer to him as a she, too.

Ah well. He doesn't care and it doesn't bother me. I don't really correct people anymore either, lol.

mrose_s

BusterLove
People generally pick Buster as a boy, he's a blue cattledog mix though.
They always pick Mac as a boy though, she's very muscular and over the top though and they usually think her name is "Max"
Here is little Miss Intensity.

Last edited:

Hillside

Original Twin
Saga is always a boy, even if she is wearing a pink collar, because DUH, all Dobermans are male. Django was always a girl. ( I am sure he is still mistaken for one still, I'm just not there to witness it.)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Auggie is 90% of the time guessed as a girl. Sigh. Even my grandma who KNOWS Auggie is a boy dog kept saying "she" tonight. Siiiiigh.
He can't help it that he's pretty... =<

SpringerLover

Mine are always the right gender. Buzz's head is masculine, Bailey's head is feminine.

Summer could go either way for me. She's definitely not overly feminine, but she's not as refined as Mia or Rose are either.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno's a boy. I must have been misinformed somehow lol. It's so hilarious when people are trying to figure out her gender and you can see them kind of ducking down to see if she has manly bits. :rofl1:

I suppose she doesn't look very feminine though. Most boxers I've met... don't. She has a red studded collar which I guess looks more manly than feminine, her booties are a dark green and while I think sweaters scream GIRL more than boy, her sweater is green and black so that doesn't help her cause lol. But yeah. People always assume she's a boy. Unless they know her name first, then I think they figure it out.

Lucy has never been mistaken for a boy. I don't know WHY anyone would think she's a boy lol. Most little dogs just look like girls to me anyway, but Lucy I think especially has a waaaayyyy girly face.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer could go either way for me. She's definitely not overly feminine, but she's not as refined as Mia or Rose are either.
See I think that's funny. I think Summer is a lot girlier looking than Mia. Maybe it's just because I know them and Mia is a total tomboy. :rofl1:

Now Rose has never ever been mistaken for a boy, lol! I don't think that's possible.

MPP

petperson
People think Monday is a boy because she's pretty big and, after all, all the big dogs are boys, aren't they? Oddly, no one ever mistakes Katie for a boy, even though she's at the large end of "medium" and quite Chow-looking. She's just such a girly girl!

MPP

petperson
Oh, and of course Summer and Mia look like girls. As someone pointed out, ALL the little floofy dogs are girls. Didn't you know?:rofl1:

Toller_08

All three of my dogs get called boys a lot. I think Keira is very obviously feminine, and Dance I think is too, but apparently not to some people. Ripley's never been mistaken for a girl, but some Dobe people at the dog show I had him at said he was a very feminine looking boy. Poor guy, haha. I really don't care what people call my dogs though. I correct them if it looks like the person wants to chat for a bit and get to know the dogs, but if they're just passing by and comment on my "handsome boys" then I don't bother. :)

Argon is usually recognized as a male, but Neon got "Precious little girl" from 95% of the people who saw him. Even when I bought the blue camo collar for him, they all still thought he was female.

Grab

All of the little dogs get called female....fine for Ginger, not so much for the wee boys. People do usually guess Aesop's gender correctly..but I guess big dogs are always boys and little ones always female

Members online