How do you advertise your rescue/shelter dogs?

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
So I'm a volunteer at a rescue and a city shelter, where I walk dogs and help out at adoption events. Primarily, though, what I do is post ads for our dogs online, and network to breed-specific rescues.

I have a list of adoption websites, but mainly use Craigslist (it works, and most people know about it.) I don't know if I'm allowed to post my list here, but would be happy to share it if it's allowed to post, or via PM.

Anyway, I was curious how other rescues & shelters handle marketing? I'm pretty much the marketing department for my rescue (for adoptions, which we're not focused on as much - mainly we do a training program with shelter dogs & kids.) I'm making it up as I go along. So my questions -

For ADOPTERS - How did you hear about your dog? What stood out about the description, etc? Did you get an accurate idea of the dog's personality from the ad? What information did you need, that was not in the ad? Any other comments?

For RESCUES/SHELTERS:

1. Do you mainly advertise for individual animals, or for the shelter/rescue as a whole? Or only for events?

2. Where do you advertise? Websites, newspapers, flyers at Petsmart? Direct mail?

3. Does your group have a budget for marketing, or is it all volunteer & free ads?

4. What venue(s) do you get the most response from? (Internet, newspapers, etc.?) What about the BEST response - most qualified homes, for rescues that check on that?

5. Do you track how adopters heard about you/the dog? If so, how?

6. Wording of ads...do you find that certain ads get more response than others? What does a "good" ad look like? What's the best information to put in/leave out/highlight...etc.

Maybe post some examples and we can critique them! I'll start with a couple of mine.

This is the format I usually use for the rescue. They write their own bios, and I usually haven't met the dog:

Hi, I’m Brandie the snuggle bug . They think I’m a shepherd/terrier/sharpei mix. I’m a very smart girl about 1 year old and 35 lbs. I’m learning all my basic obedience skills from my k9 connection student. I love going to school and I can’t wait for a home of my own. Come and meet me soon!

Brandie is a female German Shepherd Mix. She came to the shelter as a stray on 2/26/09. Brandie is a super sweet and gets along with other dogs and cats. She is currently working with K9 Connection who is teaching her basic commands.

BRANDIE IS A SPAYED FEMALE
GERMAN SHEPHERD/SHARPEI MIX
APROX. 1 YEAR OLD. AT THE
WEST LOS ANGELES SHELTER
SINCE FEBRUARY 2009
IMPOUND #

She has been:
* TEMPERAMENT TESTED TO BE IN THE K9 PROGRAM.
* IN TRAINING BY A STUDENT HANDLER.
* TAKES TRAINING WELL.
* FRIENDLY WITH DOGS
* TESTED WELL WITH CATS.
GOOD DOG!

CONTACT K9 CONNECTION to adopt or foster. Fostering is really easy with K9, we provide all of the food, toys, supplies, and vet care - you provide the love!
(PHONE #)
OR
WEST LOS ANGELES SHELTER:
(CONTACT INFO)
IMPOUND #
Photos are, of course, included.

And here's an example of what I post for shelter dogs. This one in particular, I met and wrote a bio for, but often I'm just passing along other volunteers' bios on dogs I haven't met:

RUBY the German Shepherd has it all - brains, looks, and class...

...all she needs now is a home!

RUBY - ID#

My name is Ruby and I am a spayed female, black and brown German Shepherd Dog mix.

The shelter thinks I am about 5 years old.

I have been at the shelter since Jun 29, 2009.

Ruby is a sweet, smart girl. She's a beautiful German Shepherd, mostly black with tan/sable and some adorable white freckles on her chest! She's on the smaller side, probably around 50 lbs. She knows sit and shake, and walks well on a leash with some direction, and doesn't jump. Friendly and submissive with people, and medium energy. She enjoyed exploring the large play yard today - at a polite jog. No crazy puppy antics for Ruby, she's a dignified lady! She can be dog-reactive so would do best as an only dog with an experienced owner.

WEST LOS ANGELES
(contact info)

HOURS OF PUBLIC OPERATION:

bubbatd

I never had to advertise .....it was through the Golden Breed club . Same with any dog I took in ....

Members online

No members online now.