dogs and newborns

My wife and I had our first baby 3 days ago..weve kept our corgi/dachsund mix Lily at my parents house since we went to the hospital. We brought Lily home today. She was excited to get to our baby..tail wagging..but i was so concerned she would nip at our little boy..so i only allowed her to sniff and smell while mother held him. What are some of your experiences bringing a newborn home to a dog?. I'm keeping Lily at my parents for the time being and although im confident she wouldnt hurt our baby..im just being overly cautious right now

thanks

Exiling Lily isn't going to help and it could make her very, very jealous. Dogs, especially herding breeds, are generally very good about taking care of "their" babies. Just supervise the two of them (as I'm sure you've already figured out) and include Lily your family together time.

And it's not like Lily's big enough to get up into the crib! So you really don't have to worry about her having access to the new baby unless you're there anyway.

Congratulations on the new family member! Keep us posted and post some photos for us to gush over! :D

chell78

I know when you get a new baby home all you love and attention go to it but please dont ignore or shut out lily from you new life she will get very jealous, and can suffer from behavioral probs from it, make sure you spent quaility time with lily so she know you still love her. and im sure it will all be fine they baby and the dog will need to meet and be together sooner or later you might as well make it now. with supervision of cause,

Hi,

I have a Corgi and a Doxie....I'll bet the mix of the two is adorable!!!

I had a dog when both of my children were born. I to was also concerned, and was cautious when letting my dogs first interact with the babies. I was pleasantly surprised, however, that my dogs were very gentle and accepting to my children!!!

I would just advise being careful at first as you are doing.

Good luck!!!

Dena

Lily has been fairly good so far with the baby..however she wants to be near him all the time. When we let her near, she sniffs and licks. I know she wont do any harm, but im trying to limit her from licking.etc..she cries when she cant get near. I know it will get better once she gets used to him

pitbulliest

Please don't ignore the dog, because just like everyone else said...she WILL get jealous and that's when the behavioral problems actually start. She needs to know that although there's this new "pup" in the house, you still love her and care for her very much..and things will remain the same...dogs are smart and catch on to changes quickly so spend alot of time with her as well :)

Very cute baby, I think everything will be fine as long as you dont leave them alone together because you dont wanna take any chances on babys.

Members online

No members online now.