Urban Fantasy?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Since getting into The Dresden Files series I've really become interested in the "urban fantasy" genera of books. If there are any urban fantasy readers on Chaz, does anyone have recommendations for good books/series?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Kim Harrison's The Hollows series. Her last book comes put in a few days. Great, great books. I love them so much.

I like Patricia Briggs, too. The Mercedes Thompson novels, but also her other books. Raven's Shadow and Raven's strike especially.

Jim Butcher has another series, the Codex Alera. Not urban fantasy (epic fantasy), but still good.

Karen Chance and her Cassie Palmer novels.

Tanya Huff is good. Need to read the last two in her series.

Faith Hunter and the Jane Yellowrock novels.

Not urban fantasy (but epic fantasy), but Patrick Rothfuss is amazing. I also love the first few books from Terry Goodkind. Again, epic fantasy.

Um. Laurel K. Hamiltons Anita Blake series is great for the first 9 books or so. Then it turns into erotica with lackluster plots. I love the first books, though. Very good.

If you start anywhere, start with Kim Harrison. I love her more than Jim Butcher, and that's saying a lot.

houlahoops

I love the Dresden Files!

I also really liked The Devil You Know and a bunch of the books by Simon Green (got tired of him after a bit but not bad). Are you a Neil Gaiman fan? Because you totally should be.

Kootenay

I really liked the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. Also Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson books were pretty enjoyable, although I didn't finish the series.

Also enjoyed Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series.

I haven't read the Dresden Files yet, I really need to!

My favorites are Kelley Armstrong (Otherworld but her new ones are interesting too), Karen Marie Moning (Fever Series) Kim Harrison, Keri Arthur, Illona Andrews (Kate Daniels), and I know there are others I am missing. These are urban fantasy verging into paranormal.

And yes....sigh, Anita Blake books USED to be just the top of the pack...so freaking good....then they all changed.

Kootenay

Charles de Lindt.
Oh MAN how could I have forgotten?? I clearly have read too many books, I can't even remember my favourites. Charles de Lint is amazing, definitely should have been my top recommendation for urban fantasy. I still haven't managed to find all of his books, some are hard to get a hold of, but all the ones that I have found I've LOVED.

Equinox

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
American Gods by Neil Gaiman

I really like Neil Gaiman's writing :p Undoubtedly a different feel and type of writing from a lot of the books listed here, so you may or may not enjoy the books. I've been meaning to read the Dresden Files for a while, though! Have all the books on my tablet but never get around to it because there are too many other books I want to read.

Fran27

Oh MAN how could I have forgotten?? I clearly have read too many books, I can't even remember my favourites. Charles de Lint is amazing, definitely should have been my top recommendation for urban fantasy. I still haven't managed to find all of his books, some are hard to get a hold of, but all the ones that I have found I've LOVED.
I actually haven't read the ones from the last few years at all. The last one I read was the Blue Girl. I really love all the Newford stories though.

Members online