My mothers pug

Brattina88

Looks like he has walleye...???
I read over 99% of the posts, and I would just like to add that if I hadn't went to an AKC show that I would've never seen a pug that fits the standard. It's kind of sad, actually, because I know more than one that has serious breathing issues due to the sinisus

nedim

rottiegirl said:
Well here is a different stud that my mom is considering. Does he look ok showpug?

Little dude kinda looks like Samuel L Jackson.lol

R

rottiegirl

RedyreRottweilers said:
No better than the others you've posted.

Sorry.
Oh well, my mom is going to use him as stud anyway. His ears are too long and his eyes are huge, but I dont see anything else wrong with him.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It doesnt look like he has a good face wrinkle at all either, which is one of the pug's hallmark traits if I'm interpreting showpug's informtaion correctly.

R

rottiegirl

Zoom said:
It doesnt look like he has a good face wrinkle at all either, which is one of the pug's hallmark traits if I'm interpreting showpug's informtaion correctly.
Oh yeah, I just noticed that. I think you are correct.

R

RedyreRottweilers

He is straight in the shoulder, roached in the topline, He has NO nose roll, head lacks correct wrinkling and proportions are incorrect, and he is straight in stifle.

He is a nice PET. Not suitable for breeding.

joce

I thought there was a thread before where you said her dog was not suitable for breeding so why is she still looking for a stud:rolleyes:

**edit-yeah,it was this thread.

Saje

Island dweller
She did say that and she said that it's not her decision and her mom still wants to do it. It's not her dog.

R

rottiegirl

Saje said:
She did say that and she said that it's not her decision and her mom still wants to do it. It's not her dog.
That is very correct. I cant control my moms decisions.

showpug

rottiegirl said:
Well here is a different stud that my mom is considering. Does he look ok showpug?
No, not for breeding. Your mom also needs to consider the result of breeding a fawn to a black. If she does so, she will probably end up with pups with smutty fawn coats that have too much overlay. The only reason breeders generally cross colors is if their fawns are lacking pigment or are too light. Breeding to a black will help improve pigment where it's needed, but you always run the risk of ending up with the smutty coat which is VERY undesirable in the pug world. I would have to look again, but your Mom's pug is not lacking in pigment if I remember correctly and she's not a light fawn. Plus, black pugs are generally single coated while fawns are double coated. That is the way it is suppose to be. When you cross colors it is possible to end up with single coated fawns.

As far as the conformation of this stud goes, it's not good. His contribution in the breeding world will not improve the breed. He is too roached in his back, his shoulders are not under his body and he has horrible wall-eyes. He is also lacking in depth and fullness of wrinkle. His lips are hanging instead of full, tight and round. You are right, his ears are too long as well! I hope your Mom reconsiders what she is doing. Pugs are so overbred now that it's really sad. Take your Mom to a dog show, so she can get a feel for the breed and try to discourage her from contributing to the puppy population instead of the betterment of the breed.

R

rottiegirl

showpug said:
No, not for breeding. Your mom also needs to consider the result of breeding a fawn to a black. If she does so, she will probably end up with pups with smutty fawn coats that have too much overlay. The only reason breeders generally cross colors is if their fawns are lacking pigment or are too light. Breeding to a black will help improve pigment where it's needed, but you always run the risk of ending up with the smutty coat which is VERY undesirable in the pug world. I would have to look again, but your Mom's pug is not lacking in pigment if I remember correctly and she's not a light fawn. Plus, black pugs are generally single coated while fawns are double coated. That is the way it is suppose to be. When you cross colors it is possible to end up with single coated fawns.

As far as the conformation of this stud goes, it's not good. His contribution in the breeding world will not improve the breed. He is too roached in his back, his shoulders are not under his body and he has horrible wall-eyes. He is also lacking in depth and fullness of wrinkle. His lips are hanging instead of full, tight and round. You are right, his ears are too long as well! I hope your Mom reconsiders what she is doing. Pugs are so overbred now that it's really sad. Take your Mom to a dog show, so she can get a feel for the breed and try to discourage her from contributing to the puppy population instead of the betterment of the breed.
Thanks for your advice. I will let my mom know. I had no idea that it was bad to breed fawn to black.

mojozen

bullie lover
Wow. I've learned a lot about pugs. I agree with everyone else, outside of dog shows, I've never seen a pug that was even remotely standard.

showpug

rottiegirl said:
Thanks for your advice. I will let my mom know. I had no idea that it was bad to breed fawn to black.
It's by no means "bad" to breed a fawn to a black, but you need to be aware of what could result. Clean color is very important in the pug breed. When you cross colors, the black can make the fawn smutty and the fawn can make the black coat too dilute with red undertones. Many top breeders do cross colors and it's safe genetically, but they do so with a reason in mind, like adding pigment, adding blacks to their line etc. It's not just done because that is the only available stud. There are some instances where the fawn stays clean in the pups, but that depends on what colors are behind that pup on the pedigree etc. I would consider breeding my bitch to a black because she is fairly light, but I would probably search for a clean fawn with tons of pigment first.

Members online