Average price for your breed?

Longhaired whippets are pretty cheap - $400 to $900 seems like the norm. However in Europe they are apparently much more expensive, as in, it was cheaper for our puppy buyer in France to buy one of our puppies and have him shipped than for her to purchase a puppy more locally.

Hillside

Original Twin
I'm surprised to see such high quotes for working bred BCs. Around here, I could easily get a working bred BC puppy for $250-400. Or do you mean successful trial lines?

I wonder if many people are actually paying those higher prices for the puppies though? A friend of mine was looking at a getting a working line Mal puppy that the breeder was charging, I think $1500+. She ended up deciding to go with someone more in line with her expectations for the dog, as this guy was a typical Mal sport breeder who kept their dogs kenneled and bragged about how insane the dog were. Found out that months later the guy still had puppies and wasn't even able to give them away. It seems to me there is a bit of an over-saturated market as far as "decently bred working line" Mal puppies go.

It seems the less common breeds are split - some are very expensive and others are relatively cheap. When I talked to a Pumi breeder, she said $500 for a puppy. Then said, half the time she can't even sell the whole litter and ends up having to keep multiples because there is just not a big market for the breed in the US.
Aleron, the couple higher dollar breeders that I'm thinking of have no problems finding homes for their puppies. They are big names with big reputations in the sport world. I've seen other breeders though that have dogs that originated with those lines, but don't have reputations that have tried to sell their pups for the same price that aren't able to sell them.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I wonder if many people are actually paying those higher prices for the puppies though? A friend of mine was looking at a getting a working line Mal puppy that the breeder was charging, I think $1500+. She ended up deciding to go with someone more in line with her expectations for the dog, as this guy was a typical Mal sport breeder who kept their dogs kenneled and bragged about how insane the dog were. Found out that months later the guy still had puppies and wasn't even able to give them away. It seems to me there is a bit of an over-saturated market as far as "decently bred working line" Mal puppies go.

It seems the less common breeds are split - some are very expensive and others are relatively cheap. When I talked to a Pumi breeder, she said $500 for a puppy. Then said, half the time she can't even sell the whole litter and ends up having to keep multiples because there is just not a big market for the breed in the US.
I think when I researched dogs from Ellis and Dantero they were pretty high. Also Quarrel, though somewhat started (she does amazing -well worth the cost- foundation work on all of her dogs), was far from cheap.

I don't think people are really having trouble selling dogs that high, I'm not always sure that it's worth it though.

Aleron

I think when I researched dogs from Ellis and Dantero they were pretty high. Also Quarrel, though somewhat started (she does amazing -well worth the cost- foundation work on all of her dogs), was far from cheap.

I don't think people are really having trouble selling dogs that high, I'm not always sure that it's worth it though.
I'm not talking about dogs from Ellis or Dantero or other well known, very established breeders though. Those breeders/puppies are not in the majority. I have no doubt they get whatever they ask for their puppies and have waiting lists. I'm talking about all the "decently bred working line Mals" on the market at any given time.

Older puppies and adults with training are obviously different too.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Humorously when we looked at Ot Vitosha pups they were not outrageous.

Over saturated, maybe, but I see that more in the unregistered, partial pedigree, "working" or "sporting"(but untitled) parents or more often actually grandparents.

At least that was really the situation in Las Vegas, we had a ton of over sized and underdriven Mexican(from Mexico) MWD descendants being bred haphazardly and sold on CL regularly. They were actually rarely "more than you can handle" dogs but it frustratingly muddied the breed and its well deserved (in most cases) reputation. These dogs went for about 200-400 it seemed.

Thus far up here Ive seen one show bred black Belgian, one show Malinois, and one puppy Malinois from two unknowns bred "because they're nice dogs" but had no lines and the purchasers were buying for a high energy companion, ccskiing buddy, and agility dog. I didn't get a price from them though.

[QUOTELonghaired whippets are pretty cheap - $400 to $900 seems like the norm][/QUOTE]

I had no idea they ran so low. Hmm...the dream may be closer then I thought. ;)

Lyzelle

When I was looking for a Chinook, the better breeders who were involved with the community, were health testing, working, showing, etc, were charging around $1000-$1500. Sometimes more, depending on if they wanted it to go to a show or breed potential home.

The lesser breeders who were just throwing dogs together were charging closer to $500-$1000.

monkeys23

So I did a little research and apparently distance bred mush dogs like Lily go for about $500 if they are being sold for mushing. The one breeder/mushing kennel I really liked had dogs for adoption to pet homes (ones that weren't suitable for work) and the only cost was price of spueter and shipping. A few of their available working ones looked just like the Lily bug, ack so ridiculously purty! Not that I'm biased. ;) LOL

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Health tested working border collies that also run/win trials pups are $500-$900 here from the breeders I've contacted. We don't have a lot of people that work/breed border collies here that don't trial, to be honest, New England is not the place to be for larger livestock farms.

Members online

No members online now.